Skye126
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
So guys, I'm thinking about doing an EPQ however I'm not sure whether to focus it on addiction or religion..

I'm not really sure what i would like to do in the future but I am really interested In the science/psychology behind addiction and also in theology

My question pertaining to theology would be something like "is it rational to be a Christian?" or "is it possible for Christianity to be both irrational and true?" or " Does belief in the Christian God really help those in need?"

Whereas the one surrounding addiction would be something like "is addiction really an illness?" or "Should addiction be treated as a mental illness?"

I know my question will probably change as I research more into the topic but please could you give me an indication of what you would rather hear about?
Narbs101
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Depends what you potentially want to do in the future, and what you are interested in. Do the topic that will give you more research sides to it- and when you do your EPQ you can change your question along the way, and maybe linking the two ideas together would be interesting. Talking about rationality and religion.

Do something that will interest you more and talk about on interviews for unis/jobs- Don't do something that you will find boring and not bothered to finish when you start.
(Original post by Skye126)
So guys, I'm thinking about doing an EPQ however I'm not sure whether to focus it on addiction or religion..

I'm not really sure what i would like to do in the future but I am really interested In the science/psychology behind addiction and also in theology

My question pertaining to theology would be something like "is it rational to be a Christian?" or "is it possible for Christianity to be both irrational and true?" or " Does belief in the Christian God really help those in need?"

Whereas the one surrounding addiction would be something like "is addiction really an illness?" or "Should addiction be treated as a mental illness?"

I know my question will probably change as I research more into the topic but please could you give me an indication of what you would rather hear about?
Last edited by Narbs101; 5 months ago
Platypie
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
As I've recently finished EPQ I can definetely say that with the psychology question you'd be able to easily collect some data yourself to use as research by creating questionnares/interviews. This would then boost your marks as the examiner would be impressed by the research you took time to carry out. However, an advantage of choosing your religious topic is that you can add your own view point to the discussion which they also like to see since it shows you've really thought about the info you've found.
Personally though I'm more into the religious question, I feel like you could go into way more detail with it and it'd have more evaluative points
Skye126
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice!

It would be more helpful if I knew what I wanted to do, I'm thinking perhaps a path into the rehabilitation of drug addicts through Christian based work so it incorporates both ideas. Maybe I should do some more research into both side to find out more on each.
(Original post by ntoufiq)
Depends what you potentially want to do in the future, and what you are interested in. Do the topic that will give you more research sides to it- and when you do your EPQ you can change your question along the way, and maybe linking the two ideas together would be interesting. Talking about rationality and religion.

Do something that will interest you more and talk about on interviews for unis/jobs- Don't do something that you will find boring and not bothered to finish when you start.
Skye126
Rep:
?
Thanks for giving me some advice to guide me!

Perhaps I could merge the too with the question of whether the Christian God really helps those in need.
Thanks again for the food for thought!

(Original post by Platypie)
As I've recently finished EPQ I can definetely say that with the psychology question you'd be able to easily collect some data yourself to use as research by creating questionnares/interviews. This would then boost your marks as the examiner would be impressed by the research you took time to carry out. However, an advantage of choosing your religious topic is that you can add your own view point to the discussion which they also like to see since it shows you've really thought about the info you've found.
Personally though I'm more into the religious question, I feel like you could go into way more detail with it and it'd have more evaluative points
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?