Living in Stockport - is it nice?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Got offered a well-paid grad job in Stockport but was wondering what this area is like to live in? I've lived in Manchester for uni and loved it there, so was wondering if this town was like to live in - i.e. if it was quite boring with not much stuff to do, or fine to live in since it's like a 10 mins train to Manchester...any thoughts?
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Stockport has everything you might feel you need eg pubs, shops, cinema etc but honestly it's just a bit crap compared to Manchester. I think anyone who lives in Stockport with any sense goes into Manchester for anything substantial. Also I wouldn't live in the center, there are some nicer places 5-15 mins drive away.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
I go into Stockport most days a week and it's a nice place, lots to do and like a very mini city in itself. The outskirts seem to offer the nicest places to live, for example Marple or Bramhall, but it depends what you are after and your budget.

It's definitely less busy and active than Manchester but it's still a major destination, plus it has great transport links to the centre of Manchester so you can easily hop on a bus, train, taxi and soon a tram to get there.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
My stepdad lives in Stockport, it's a nice friendly area
alice544
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've lived in Stockport my whole life (17 years) and it depends on where you are.
Mutmit287
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Got offered a well-paid grad job in Stockport but was wondering what this area is like to live in? I've lived in Manchester for uni and loved it there, so was wondering if this town was like to live in - i.e. if it was quite boring with not much stuff to do, or fine to live in since it's like a 10 mins train to Manchester...any thoughts?
It very much depends on where you live in stockport.

I am from the heatons and it is quite an upmarket friendly (bur expensive) area which great social scene such as many craft beer shops, cinema, restraunts. It is also the closest to manchester for commuting (hence why it is so popular)

Stockport town is ok, but if you have a car you will probably find yourself going to the trafford centre or manchester to shop as it is often better. Many shops (marks and spencers etc.) have recently closed in stockport meaning it is losing some of its pull. Although the old town and the market are a hidden gem and well worth a visit.

I would say the places closet to stockport centre (offerton, adswood, brinnington, heaton norris etc) are not the nicest of areas. They are quite run down.
The nicer areas are defintely heaton chapel, moor or mersey (on the border with south manchester) or marple, bramball, cheadle, hazel grove (further out towards the peak district but still well within commuting distance).

When i lived there i often went to manchester on the train for nights out and things to do. It really is a commuters area so you wouldnt struggle getting to manchester if needed.

I would say go and visit, have a wander around for a couple of days (stay in one of the premier inns near the train station) and visit some of the areas to see what they are like. Its hard to make a decision based on such little info from others.
If i were to go and see some of the nice areas of stockport i would probably throw my money at the estate agents because it really is a great place to live, work and grow up (providing you avoid certain parts)
Last edited by Mutmit287; 1 year ago
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't think anywhere is going to seem that great if you're used to Manchester. But, Stockport can be okay. I know a few people from there who like it. If you really like Manchester, could you not live there and then commute? The distance isn't too bad.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You could live in Manchester studentbubbleville and commute to Stockport - the buses and trains go both directions - you'd be going the opposite direction to most commuters and wouldn't be as overcrowded
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks for the replies, everyone - it was really insightful to read through all this! I feel I'd want to live close to work so can minimise commute times and just walk or bus there in the mornings. I might buy a car at some point but not too sure yet.

I'll be working near the Cheadle Heath Police Station (so I guess living in Edgeley, Cheadle Heath, Adswood etc areas could be good) - has anyone got any experiences with these areas or other places close to this by any chance?
Mutmit287
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thanks for the replies, everyone - it was really insightful to read through all this! I feel I'd want to live close to work so can minimise commute times and just walk or bus there in the mornings. I might buy a car at some point but not too sure yet.

I'll be working near the Cheadle Heath Police Station (so I guess living in Edgeley, Cheadle Heath, Adswood etc areas could be good) - has anyone got any experiences with these areas or other places close to this by any chance?
Cheadle is lovely (i would live there if you can) and i know edgeley is popular with young families or professionals and is a nice area.

I would honestly avoid adswood, its a large council estate and is not the friendliest of places. My partner used to do a milkround there and was very relieved to be changed to a different area after nearly being mugged on his round many times. Its just a much rougher less social areas.

I would go for edgeley or cheadle heath.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed