Do i need two science alevels ( science and maths ) to become a doctor - do medicine

Watch
Asma1689
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Do i need two science alevels ( science and maths ) to become a doctor - to do medicine.i'm not sure if i want to do medicine tho. is it fine if i do just one sciene my current options are bio chem english and business. but i can only do three and if i want to drop sum its going to be between bio and chem . please help
Aadilkharl123
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
One science can do u fine, but it should be bio or chem then, if u are doing one
Asma1689
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
thank you so much

(Original post by Aadilkharl123)
One science can do u fine, but it should be bio or chem then, if u are doing one
may12388
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Most universities want you to do chemistry for medicine.

Although biology isn’t mandatory, it’s probably better if you did it.
meddad
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Asma1689)
Do i need two science alevels ( science and maths ) to become a doctor - to do medicine.i'm not sure if i want to do medicine tho. is it fine if i do just one sciene my current options are bio chem english and business. but i can only do three and if i want to drop sum its going to be between bio and chem . please help
Your options will be very limited if you don't take two sciences. Most medical schools require Chemistry and Biology.

See this link and check your options https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf
ShannonKerryx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I’d recommend you choose either Bio and Chem, or Chem and Physics as most universities require Chem at A Level with one other science. Then use your third subject as either Business or English.
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Aadilkharl123)
There are only 2 med schools that will accept you without Chemistry and 2 med schools that will accept you without Biology, if you do not offer another science subject (English or Business would not count). Advice, as you have been given, is to study Biology, Chemistry and any other academic A level if you want to apply for medicine as this way you leave the most options open
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Most Medicine courses need both Bio and Chem. If you're seriously considering applying for Medicine, you'd be handicapping yourself by only doing one of either Bio or Chem.
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
If you’re not enthusiastic about the sciences, then maybe medicine isn’t for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (214)
52.45%
No, they should still go ahead (57)
13.97%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (137)
33.58%

Watched Threads