M3: SHM Watch

Maths&physics
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
what would be the amplitude? we've stretched it so that the RHS is smaller than it's natural length.
Attached files
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Maths&physics)
what would be the amplitude? we've stretched it so that the RHS is smaller than it's natural length.
IIt's a spring not a string. The natural length of a single spring would be the center of the resulting SHM.
old_engineer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
The question says springs not strings.
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
IIt's a spring not a string. The natural length of a single spring would be the center of the resulting SHM.
brilliant! how did you know I misread the word spring for string?!

"The natural length of a single spring would be the center of the resulting SHM." what do you mean?
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
(Original post by old_engineer)
The question says springs not strings.
that's superb that you've both noticed from my misunderstanding that I've read spring for string, without my saying it!

but how am I to know that the resulting motion won't go beyond their extensions and give a larger amplitude than the existing extension?
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It's the raison detre of a spring. The force is zero at the unstretched natural length. Shorter it pushes, longer it pulls. Here you have two springs. The center is where the forces cancel.
brilliant! how did you know I misread the word spring for string?!

"The natural length of a single spring would be the center of the resulting SHM." what do you mean?
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
It's the raison detre of a spring. The force is zero at the unstretched natural length. Shorter it pushes, longer it pulls. Here you have two springs. The center is where the forces cancel.
the centre is where the forces are balanced/equal? but how do I know the amplitude will remain the same as the extension?
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
The initial condition has zero velocity. It is physically impossible to deviate more than this from the center point in the subsequentsmotion. Otherwise you're getting energy for free.
Last edited by mqb2766; 3 months ago
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
The initial condition has zero velocity. It is physically impossible to deviate more than this from the center point in the subsequentsmotion. Otherwise you're getting energy for free.
ok, but the spring on the LHS is compressed (gone beyond its natural length) before it's released, so why wouldnt that effect its subsequent motion - I guess the answer is no, but why?
Last edited by Maths&physics; 3 months ago
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
The first part asked you to show that the motion is SHM, you must have considered both forces or springs acting on the body? From then on, you should not really care about what happens to the spring individually?

ok, but the string on the LHS is compressed (gone beyond its natural length) before it's released, so why wouldnt that effect its subsequent motion - I guess the answer is no, but why?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (164)
17.45%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (82)
8.72%
No I am happy with my course choice (560)
59.57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (134)
14.26%

Watched Threads