The Student Room Group

Just booked my Driving Test...

So I've booked my driving test for Friday 10th May, and I've been having lessons once a week for nearly a year now (since last May), though technically I was having one or two a month the March before (so I guess two years, I'm 19 now.) I passed my theory test on my 4th try last December (first time in January - failed by 2 marks, second and third in September and October - failed by 1 mark, finally passed in December.) And I'm pretty nervous about the practical test...

So far I've been having one 1 hour lesson a week (I find if I drive for longer, I start feeling tired probably due to my weight + being diabetic, but I'm working on my diet and exercise), and I'm fairly confident in my driving. It's just slipups here or there with steering, roundabouts, and anticipating the road ahead + quick thinking. I'm very, I guess, methodical with my thinking where I might go, will I make it or not? I'm very responsible and safe on the road, it's just 1/2 second moments that sometimes get me.

I won't be driving afterwards for quite a while since I'm going to uni in September, and after my 4 years I'll look into taking some refresh lessons and getting myself a car, but I want to make sure I pass before September. Does anyone have any experience with practical tests? I feel like I'm worrying far more than I should, since I found the theory test much more worrying and stressful than I do when driving. (struggle with exams where I might blank out or stress out and forget all the revision I've done the past month.)
Hi there! I took a practical test three weeks ago and unfortunately I did fail, but the first thing to know is it’s not the end of the world if you fail first time! It’s quite nerve-wracking but the examiner will try to put you at ease because they don’t want to have to fail you! It’s only 40 minutes of driving and it goes very quickly, although they do put you through your paces! Just know that if you try to stay calm, you’ll make more rational decisions so try to take everything slowly! And if it doesn’t go well, you can just book another one straight away! Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks! I'm just a bit worried about having to pay for it again, after failing my theory 3 times (and missing it once due to a late bus.)
Original post by eashdown17
Hi there! I took a practical test three weeks ago and unfortunately I did fail, but the first thing to know is it’s not the end of the world if you fail first time! It’s quite nerve-wracking but the examiner will try to put you at ease because they don’t want to have to fail you! It’s only 40 minutes of driving and it goes very quickly, although they do put you through your paces! Just know that if you try to stay calm, you’ll make more rational decisions so try to take everything slowly! And if it doesn’t go well, you can just book another one straight away! Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending