The Student Room Group

Bad biology mock grade.

Hello, I just did a biology mock recently. It was the 2018 AQA paper. When I did the paper I thought that I had done well, my timing was ok, I wrote an answer to the majority of the questions and I even dared to think that the maths element had gone well. I was wrong, badly. I did ok (46 marks) on paper one, but paper 2 and paper 3 I botched the test to the worse possible extent. My exam technique was awful, I either missed the point of the question or just wrote what the text had in the question. Paper 2 was the most prominent example of small mistakes while paper 3 saw a rather large amount of mishaps in writing. In the end, I got 109 marks which were seven of a B. I needed an A and I really did try with this exam, past paper questions, flashcards, and note-taking. I'm really cross at my odious performance and I don't know what to do. Can anyone offer any advice and thank you most graciously if you do read this.
Fist check the specification making sure you know everything and more , EVERYTHING!
Once you know everything you really have to sit and thing how different parts (topics) relate to each other.
I you have a book, they usually have "did you know?" "study tip" or end of chapter articles. They are very useful , must have a look.
The book questions , definitely do them . Some might be easy but they really help you understand, even if you think that's a easy chapter.
Anything you don't understand , don't just leave it . Ask teacher(I know this never happens) so ask your friends, watch videos , read online ...
Any chapter you struggle in just write the steps or whatever down to help memory and understanding , and a video will always compensate.
This next thing helped me a lot, talk to your friends about the chapters, discuss about it, ask each other questions. This will help the most.
The obvious past papers is always there, read mark schemes and try to see what they are looking for e.g. terminology or style. Reading the question very carefully to see what type of question it is and what It is actually asking.
For experimental questions, look at different exam boards. Might be slightly of topic but knowing more than needed will never harm you and it's the key to the A*s. Read your friends answers and see how they approach them.
Finally, don't waste to much time writing notes and stuff (I mean you have the book and can ask teachers to send you the presentations), anytime you need something just open up the book and read!!!! Taking notes is time consuming , in class it can be a distraction. And when taking notes you tend to summarise (missing out knowledge that you might need, so read from the book if you need something !!!!!!!!).
Best of luck,
Hammad
Reply 2
Original post by Hammad(214508)
Fist check the specification making sure you know everything and more , EVERYTHING!
Once you know everything you really have to sit and thing how different parts (topics) relate to each other.
I you have a book, they usually have "did you know?" "study tip" or end of chapter articles. They are very useful , must have a look.
The book questions , definitely do them . Some might be easy but they really help you understand, even if you think that's a easy chapter.
Anything you don't understand , don't just leave it . Ask teacher(I know this never happens) so ask your friends, watch videos , read online ...
Any chapter you struggle in just write the steps or whatever down to help memory and understanding , and a video will always compensate.
This next thing helped me a lot, talk to your friends about the chapters, discuss about it, ask each other questions. This will help the most.
The obvious past papers is always there, read mark schemes and try to see what they are looking for e.g. terminology or style. Reading the question very carefully to see what type of question it is and what It is actually asking.
For experimental questions, look at different exam boards. Might be slightly of topic but knowing more than needed will never harm you and it's the key to the A*s. Read your friends answers and see how they approach them.
Finally, don't waste to much time writing notes and stuff (I mean you have the book and can ask teachers to send you the presentations), anytime you need something just open up the book and read!!!! Taking notes is time consuming , in class it can be a distraction. And when taking notes you tend to summarise (missing out knowledge that you might need, so read from the book if you need something !!!!!!!!).
Best of luck,
Hammad

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and reply with a very helpful post. The section on the notes was particularly helpful and looking at other mark schemes for the application questions. The majority of my marks I lost were maths related, during the exam, I didn't read the questions close enough which meant I lost a lot of marks on those sections as well. I've just been reading my answers to paper 2 and paper 3 and I saw the problem was I wasn't answering the question. I would write some relevant information but go off on a tangent. Have you got any advice for the math sections? Usually, I can do it, but in the Exam, it went wrong, I don't know why.:frown:
dont hate on yourself bruh
Original post by Theta799
Thank you for taking the time to read my post and reply with a very helpful post. The section on the notes was particularly helpful and looking at other mark schemes for the application questions. The majority of my marks I lost were maths related, during the exam, I didn't read the questions close enough which meant I lost a lot of marks on those sections as well. I've just been reading my answers to paper 2 and paper 3 and I saw the problem was I wasn't answering the question. I would write some relevant information but go off on a tangent. Have you got any advice for the math sections? Usually, I can do it, but in the Exam, it went wrong, I don't know why.:frown:

For maths questions practice is important, but checking your answers becomes even more crucial thing and being able to identify any mistakes. (E.g. units going wrong). Make sure to understand the question first and spend some time thinking about it, going straight to what your brain says can go wrong as they tend to trick you as well

Quick Reply

Latest