I have a tenancy agreement, however I do not want the place. Watch

Arian Rao
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
So I have an unwanted tenancy agreement for the future, anyone know how to cancel it early? Any penalties to pay? If that’s not possible, does anyone want to take over my contract? I am in a sticky situation, and I am unable to get out of this agreement, unless it’s finding someone new, or dropping out. I have two contracts and I need to get rid of one. I don’t want to drop out as I am doing well, but if it means I’ll be out of legal trouble, then I guess that’s the only option. Please help me find a solution, or contact me of you want more information on this accommodation. It’s a great place, the only problem is I found a better place. Thanks
Last edited by Arian Rao; 5 months ago
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Arian Rao)
So I have an unwanted tenancy agreement for the future, anyone know how to cancel if early? Any penalties to pay? If that’s not possible, does anyone want to take over my contract? I am in a sticky situation, and I need to get out of this agreement, unless it’s finding someone new, or dropping out. I have two contracts and I need to get rid of one. I don’t want to drop out as I am doing well, but if it means I’ll be out of legal trouble, then I guess that’s the only option. Please help me find a solution, or contact me of you want more information on this accommodation. It’s a great place, the only problem is I found a better place. Thanks
You need to read your tenancy agreement.

If you're struggling to understand the terms, take a copy to your student's union, and they can give you tailored advice from your contract.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Dropping out won't get you out of a tenancy agreement, it'll just mean you have no student finance to pay. It is unbelievably foolish to sign two contracts... look at these forums, they are full of people who can't find replacement tenants. Ask your union for help, post anywhere and everywhere and speak to your accommodation providers asap just in case either can find a replacement for you.
Arian Rao
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
They told me that the only way out of the agreement is if I wasn’t a student and I had dropped out of Uni. This is Student Accomodation.
(Original post by doodle_333)
Dropping out won't get you out of a tenancy agreement, it'll just mean you have no student finance to pay. It is unbelievably foolish to sign two contracts... look at these forums, they are full of people who can't find replacement tenants. Ask your union for help, post anywhere and everywhere and speak to your accommodation providers asap just in case either can find a replacement for you.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 5 months ago
So I have an unwanted tenancy agreement for the future, anyone know how to cancel it early? Any penalties to pay? If that’s not possible, does anyone want to take over my contract? I am in a sticky situation, and I am unable to get out of this agreement, unless it’s finding someone new, or dropping out. I have two contracts and I need to get rid of one. I don’t want to drop out as I am doing well, but if it means I’ll be out of legal trouble, then I guess that’s the only option. Please help me find a solution, or contact me of you want more information on this accommodation. It’s a great place, the only problem is I found a better place. Thanks
A tenancy agreement is a contract. Once you have signed it you are committed to the terms. In most cases the only way out would be to find a replacement.

Are the contracts with the uni or private landlords?

The fact you then signed a further tenancy agreement to run concurrently is a little mind boggling.

Dropping out will make no difference unless sometimes they allow a drop out where you fail your exams. Read the contract.

Learn your lesson.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Then you're lucky. Many places would still make you pay.
They told me that the only way out of the agreement is if I wasn’t a student and I had dropped out of Uni. This is Student Accomodation.
MKaur18
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Your best way out of this, is to find a person who can replace your old booking. Try asking friends. To get some more advise, probably speak to the Student's Union and see what they can do for you.
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by doodle_333)
look at these forums, they are full of people who can't find replacement tenants.
They are also, somewhat bizarrely, full of people who seem to think that an appropriate source of legal advice is a student forum to which the crucial documents haven't been provided.

Is it so hard to hit CTRL + P and pop down to a citizens advice bureau?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Who are 'they'?

Usually if you drop out, you are no longer allowed to live in the student accommodation, but you are still expected to pay rent for it until a replacement tenant can be found. It will say this in your tenancy agreement.

Therefore, dropping out does not cancel your contractual obligations.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?