A_20
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I have suffered IBS for about ten years but manage it well. I have been deferred by the Army Reserve on account of this for two years before I can re-apply.

Having read their appeal guidelines I need to present new medical evidence for consideration. The only supporting evidence I could provide would be a letter from my GP explaining that my IBS is well managed.

Does anyone have any experience of successfully appealing for the same or similar issue?
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
When you say "well managed" - by what means?

Digestive issues like IBS, and including the IBDs, are normally a bar to service. If it limits what you can eat, even moreso.

A GP saying it's managed is not the kind of new information they need in order to conduct a review, really.
LuigiMario
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
No, but there is a new molecular sieve treatment for IBS, rather than the opiate Imodium , check out ENTEROSGEL, spoonful in a cup of water can moderate symptoms. (one of my relatives was previously taking nearly lethal amounts of loperamide)

AMZN.uk sell the enterosgel at about half the price of Boots, but as an Army type, make sure you get the (very large toothpaste) tubes made in Czechia and not produced in the country where it was invented!
A_20
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Exercise is my management. I'm ex-regular infantry and know what's required in terms of operational service, ironically the probable cause of my IBS.

I have no food intolerances or reactions, just sought medical advice for recurring symptoms. All tests were clear of concern and I was issued Loperimide to manage any acute symptoms.
(Original post by Drewski)
When you say "well managed" - by what means?

Digestive issues like IBS, and including the IBDs, are normally a bar to service. If it limits what you can eat, even moreso.

A GP saying it's managed is not the kind of new information they need in order to conduct a review, really.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by A_20)
Exercise is my management. I'm ex-regular infantry and know what's required in terms of operational service, ironically the probable cause of my IBS.

I have no food intolerances or reactions, just sought medical advice for recurring symptoms. All tests were clear of concern and I was issued Loperimide to manage any acute symptoms.
I'm not sure that it being managed is the kind of new information that the army would need for grounds to conduct a review, but there's no harm in trying.
LuigiMario
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by A_20)

Loperamide is opium, but thankfully an opiate that does not pass the brain/blood barrier, at normal dose levels.

I was recently on a flight sitting next to a Nottingham University professor of microbiology, he says that the research focus on IBS & similar is moving quickly to BIOME research, with even leading cancer treatments which are now very successfully using (clinical grade) microbiome transplants. It's certainly not something to try at home. Possibly periods of the 'operational service', plus any necessary antibiotics, can have modified an individuals biome to the point of IBS. Something to keep watch for in the future.

the main problem with Enterosgel, as it is a passive medical device and a shocking £20.99 per tube at Boots, is that it so successfully scours the digestive system, that any other meds that people take, need to be carefully assessed when the various timing of use is being planned. It can just vanish any other meds from your GI system.

I have successfully trialled the 'gel on my family members, who report that it certainly works - but not as strongly as the Loperamide (generic) which is very cheap & effective, but is still opium! Sherlock Holmes and all that ;-) I was 'pushing' one dose per day, and the tubes suggest you can take three.

In US, there are reports of abuse & deaths from loperamide, and concerns that it might soon be withdrawn as an OTC med
https://www.annemergmed.com/article/...052-X/fulltext
Last edited by LuigiMario; 9 months ago
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by A_20)

I suspect it could be the fact that you've been prescribed medication that is the problem, whether or not you've needed to take it. How long before your current prescription is finished? Don't go against doctor's advice, obviously, but if you haven't needed the Loperimide could you try without? Only thing is, you could have a long wait to be clear of the prescription before being able to reapply. Can't suggest anything to help with a current appeal, sorry.

I was in the Forces and had digestive problems after a course of painkillers. Doctor thought it was IBS and recommended food-combining, which massively reduced my symptoms without needing medication.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (10)
8.62%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (12)
10.34%
No, but maybe I will look into it (29)
25%
No and I wouldn't consider it (65)
56.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise