Nottingham postgrad accommodation and questions?

Watch
Darrenl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Ive got a conditional offer to study Msc Stem Cell Technology and regenerative medicine At Nottingham uni and was wondering if it was worth it looking for a house in Lenton/Beeston/Wollaston rather than postgraduate accommodation because the uni accommodation is too expensive for me ( most I could afford is Raleigh park) I’m unsure what to do because I don’t want to be stuck with mature students who dont go out ( I’m 21) but also dont want to be stuck with freshers 4 years younger than me. I’m looking for relatively close to campus, sociable and not too expensive. Is there a fb group or something for postgrads in Nottingham??
Jenx301
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Im not a post grad but I am 25 and thinking the same thing - i would feel like a creep living with 18 year olds and think I'd find it irritating living with people who are away from home for the first time etc. I think I am most likely going to rent a studio flat in the city centre - its easy enough to get to campus on the tram or bus and it is nice living in the city centre
NialahM1995
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’m in the same position but I’m going for my interview this week so I’m not sure if I have a place yet. I feel the same, I don’t want to be stuck with freshers but also with postgrad students who aren’t sociable, because I might as well live by myself. I was looking at some private halls in the city centre, some were closer to Nottingham Trent than Uni of Nottingham, the website is accommodationforstudents.com. When I was looking which was about two months ago, they had some really nice flats/studios in an apartment block full of uni students so it might be worth a look.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Darrenl)
Ive got a conditional offer to study Msc Stem Cell Technology and regenerative medicine At Nottingham uni and was wondering if it was worth it looking for a house in Lenton/Beeston/Wollaston rather than postgraduate accommodation because the uni accommodation is too expensive for me ( most I could afford is Raleigh park) I’m unsure what to do because I don’t want to be stuck with mature students who dont go out ( I’m 21) but also dont want to be stuck with freshers 4 years younger than me. I’m looking for relatively close to campus, sociable and not too expensive. Is there a fb group or something for postgrads in Nottingham??
- I wouldn't recommend a house in Beeston, it's just a lot further from the city and not as much as a student area as lenton.
- Lenton is where most students live in houses it's about a 20-35 minute walk into the city (depending where in lenton u live) lots of students, and not too far to Uni either.
- official Uni Post-grad halls (the ones on UoN's website) separate students into undergrad & postgrad blocks so u wont share. The culture of post-grad halls is much calmer, with many more international students compared to fresher halls.
- There was a big FB postgrad chat last year, don't know if anyone has made one this year yet tho..
- Feel free to ask any other questions, I was in a similar situation to you last year!
elreb
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just in case any of you are interested in renting, I have a two bedroom town house available from 1 September 2019 - 30 June 2020. Walking distance to Nottingham City Centre with easy access to universities, public transport and amenities. Rent £115 per person, per week - bills included.Contact me for further details and pictures.
EconCARBSstudent
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Darrenl)
I'm in a very similar boat.

I've got onto the MSc Economic Development course and am also looking for accommodation.
I'm on a couple of groups on FB for accommodation:
-Student Accommodation in NOTTINGHAM
-Nottingham Student Accommodation 2019/2020: Find Rooms, Houses, Housemates

If you drop me a message, perhaps we can look together?
Kimay
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am in the same boat too. Got into MSc Behavioural Economics. Have you found any place yet? When are you going to Nottingham? Do you know if there’s any pre sessional math and statistics program like in east anglia?
Kimay
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Could you post message me map of the area and few pictures of the place pls? M in for economics and am looking for accommodation there..
(Original post by elreb)
Just in case any of you are interested in renting, I have a two bedroom town house available from 1 September 2019 - 30 June 2020. Walking distance to Nottingham City Centre with easy access to universities, public transport and amenities. Rent £115 per person, per week - bills included.Contact me for further details and pictures.
sarahmh_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would recommend Beeston as a postgraduate, you don't really need to get to the city as you have a station locally and all the supermarkets/shops you need. You have the option of trams/buses should you need to get into the city though.

You're a lot closer to University Park and houses are a lot cheaper. Beeston is also a much nicer area in general to be honest.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (7)
5%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (24)
17.14%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.14%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (20)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (41)
29.29%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.14%

Watched Threads