The Student Room Group

Perimeter of Trapezium; got jammed in this ****

Wassup y'all?

The part (b) of this question asks for finding the perimeter, and this requires some hard work as it consists of 5 marks. And for finding the perimeter, one of the side is missing, side CD. Although, I've founded the side CD through Pythagoras which is CD = 3+x.Screenshot_2019-04-05-15-46-20-compressed.png.jpeg
The real problem is that my answer don't meet the marks scheme at all. Can anyone let me know if my methods and answers are right? Even the Pythagoras part that I used, perhaps it might be wrong. The final answer I get is P=4x+16.
Reply 1
CD is not 3+X, use Pythagoras.
Is your answer correct?
Original post by mqb2766
CD is not 3+X, use Pythagoras.

CD is 3+x
Reply 4
No, it's not. Working out the value for x fromfthe area quadratic reinforces this fact.
Original post by studya03
CD is 3+x
Reply 5
Original post by studya03
CD is 3+x

It's not. The vertical distance is x, the horizontal distance is 3, but the actual length of that line is not 3 + x, it's x2+32\sqrt{x^2 + 3^2}

OP, you've made a mistake there. x2+32\sqrt{x^2 + 3^2} is not 3 + x, it's x2+32\sqrt{x^2 + 3^2}. You can't simplify that down more.

You can find the lengths of the sides by solving the given quadratic equation.
if you got the part ( a) right then you solve for x in the quadratic equation. if you do that you will get x=4 , then using pythagoras find the length of the unknown side and the final answer would be 30 cm

Original post by couch_potato
Wassup y'all?

The part (b) of this question asks for finding the perimeter, and this requires some hard work as it consists of 5 marks. And for finding the perimeter, one of the side is missing, side CD. Although, I've founded the side CD through Pythagoras which is CD = 3+x.Screenshot_2019-04-05-15-46-20-compressed.png.jpeg
The real problem is that my answer don't meet the marks scheme at all. Can anyone let me know if my methods and answers are right? Even the Pythagoras part that I used, perhaps it might be wrong. The final answer I get is P=4x+16.

Quick Reply

Latest