The Student Room Group

DBS Paramedic

Hello, in 2017 I had a car accident which resulted into my friend passing. It was a seriously hard time and still is now as Iv got the blame for it even though I wasn’t driving I was stationary. It was 4 of us and we all had been out drinking which I obviously regret, but as I had drink in my system at the time of the collision I’m now to blame for cause death by dangerous driving. Like I said I wasn’t actually driving I was parked up on the hard shoulder. Right now I work for a private ambulance company and Iv wanted to become a paramedic but unfortunately I got the court letter through the post yesterday to tell me I hadn’t been charged with ‘death by dangerous driving’ and I no I’m most probably going to be going to prison. I wanted to ask as I’m Moreno devastated about my career now ruined because I’m young and I had a perfect opportunity to start to work my way up to paramedic at a young age and I’m worried after I do prison they won’t take me on, is this true?
Original post by xchrisx
Hello, in 2017 I had a car accident which resulted into my friend passing. It was a seriously hard time and still is now as Iv got the blame for it even though I wasn’t driving I was stationary. It was 4 of us and we all had been out drinking which I obviously regret, but as I had drink in my system at the time of the collision I’m now to blame for cause death by dangerous driving. Like I said I wasn’t actually driving I was parked up on the hard shoulder. Right now I work for a private ambulance company and Iv wanted to become a paramedic but unfortunately I got the court letter through the post yesterday to tell me I hadn’t been charged with ‘death by dangerous driving’ and I no I’m most probably going to be going to prison. I wanted to ask as I’m Moreno devastated about my career now ruined because I’m young and I had a perfect opportunity to start to work my way up to paramedic at a young age and I’m worried after I do prison they won’t take me on, is this true?

Was it your car?
How did it get to the hard shoulder?
You were in control of the vehicle? Presumably you were expecting to drive off?

Doesnt matter whether you were moving or not.
Presumably you have now engaged a solicitor? If not, then get one.
You may or may not go to prison. Speak to your lawyer.

If you are found guilty, then you will have a criminal record.
That will have to be declared to all employers for at least 11 years I believe.
If they do a DBS search on you, then it will also show.
To become a paramedic and a healthcare professional then you will have to pass a fitness to practice test.

I believe your regulator is the Health Care Professional Council. You would have to convince them and maybe the college of paramedics you were the right sort of person to be allowed to join.

Even before that you may find your have to get onto a paramedic course and declare your conviction to the university who will decide whether you are of a suitable character to be allowed admission. You have a hearing and you get to have your say.

Example
https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/our-admissions-policy/criminal-convictions-policy

They would take into account the very serious offence but also any plea in mitigation or things you had to say about what you had learned from the incident and contrition.
They would then decide if you were suitable to be let into the profession. I would think it would be easier if you applied for non driving roles.

If you do end up going to prison, then to put it mildly I think you would have an uphill battle.

Why do they take it so seriously?
It points towards your sense of judgement being poor.
You played a part in the demise of someone else.

It could still be you get a min sentence and stay out of jail or are even found innocent. Go and get legal advice.

https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/for-the-public/common-legal-issues/criminal/
Reply 2
I have a solicitor and have since the accident, I received injury’s from head to toe I was in a wheelchair because of it but that is all irrelevant I just wanted to find out if it would affect me as The offence was nothing to do with patient care or children. Thanks for your reply.
Original post by xchrisx
I have a solicitor and have since the accident, I received injury’s from head to toe I was in a wheelchair because of it but that is all irrelevant I just wanted to find out if it would affect me as The offence was nothing to do with patient care or children. Thanks for your reply.

If you're found guilty of death by dangerous driving, universities' perceptions of your judgement and character will be severely affected by this. They will presume that it will affect your ability to care for patients, which seems reasonable given what you've described. If you go to prison for that offence, it will be almost impossible to 'pass' the DBS check part of a university application. Not only that, but any driving bans you receive could also prevent you getting a place, particularly as paramedics usually need impeccable driving skills.

Unfortunately, you may need to seriously consider other career paths.
Original post by xchrisx

However, it’s the probably the most serious motoring offence there is. Ambulance service trusts expect applicants to have relatively clean driving licences, I think you’re going to struggle if you have a conviction for death by dangerous driving tbh.
Generally, you're only allowed 3 points on your driving licence for speeding. Different services have different policies but because of the nature of the job you need a good driving record. Even if it's "just" drunk driving then you won't be employable, but death by dangerous driving will definitely rule you out.

You can become an ambulance care assistant without being able to drive. You'd only be able to work for a few private companies, and you'd only have a few skills and medications to use. I know someone who lost their driving licence through ill health and went into this and they're very happy with the role. But it's lower acuity patients such as GP admissions and hospital transfers rather than frontline ambulance work.They might still not take you with a conviction though.
Reply 6
Original post by BlueLightDriver
Generally, you're only allowed 3 points on your driving licence for speeding. Different services have different policies but because of the nature of the job you need a good driving record. Even if it's "just" drunk driving then you won't be employable, but death by dangerous driving will definitely rule you out.

You can become an ambulance care assistant without being able to drive. You'd only be able to work for a few private companies, and you'd only have a few skills and medications to use. I know someone who lost their driving licence through ill health and went into this and they're very happy with the role. But it's lower acuity patients such as GP admissions and hospital transfers rather than frontline ambulance work.They might still not take you with a conviction though.

I think this is much less of a driving issue, and much more of a fitness to practice issue. I hate to say it OP, but being found guilty, especially if you had alcohol on board, would probably make it difficult to find first aid work, let alone becoming a paramedic, at least for 10-15 years (provided you can demonstrate having changed etc). I would say find a good lawyer and do everything you can to get a lesser sentence (look at the CPS charging guidelines for details).
Original post by xchrisx

I think most of what is important has already been said, however I think you may be slightly missing the point in terms of the impact this has on your character and how this might reflect upon the profession.

I'd urge you to have a look at our fitness to practice and criminal conviction guidance as this will explain it in more detail:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5780318
Hello anyone tell me I have four counts of common assault 39 lowest charge the last being seven years ago and it being someone who said I spat at them which is entitlrely untrue I asked the person to not knock on my door and to not speak to me but this person being a 15 year old blew itCompletely out of proportion and I only asked the person to not knock as theydd smashed my window and stoleFrom my 11 year old Will this get I. The way of me becoming a paramedicPlease I lost my youngest child this year and I want to do this because I don’t think anyone should have to go what we are going through and I believe I could make a difference
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest