What is the best way forward on Brexit Watch

Poll: What is the best and most productive way forward for Brexit?
Leave without a deal on 12th April 2019 (327)
21.26%
Extend article 50 until 30th June, allowing for further negotiations or votes on Theresa May's deal (143)
9.3%
Extend Article 50 by up to a year, allowing a complete renegotiation, second referendum or general election (1068)
69.44%
independentx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
As I'm sure we are all aware, it is an extremely uncertain time for this country at the moment,. Following today's news about the potential extension of Article 50, we have 3 basic options for moving forward with the Brexit process.

Which one do you think is the best and most productive way forward?
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unless there is a commons vote on something before Wednesday, then some EU countries may well veto against the extension. They will very likely not want Farage and co complicating Europe matters.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by independentx)
As I'm sure we are all aware, it is an extremely uncertain time for this country at the moment,. Following today's news about the potential extension of Article 50, we have 3 basic options for moving forward with the Brexit process.

Which one do you think is the best and most productive way forward?
Keep our Union strong, and not weaken its state in any negotiations even if it means a customs union.. hopefully a second referendum and remain
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Invade the EU
independentx
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
Keep our Union strong, and not weaken its state in any negotiations even if it means a customs union.. hopefully a second referendum and remain
I totally agree with you here. But if Brexit is going to happen I think we need a good deal that keeps a good relationship between the EU and UK and therefore I think we should have the long extension to allow for renegotiation.
Psaa
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
And what would the options be on the referendum as well as remain?
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Psaa)
And what would the options be on the referendum as well as remain?
You need to ask? It would merely be remain option and a deal nobody wants.
Psaa
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by random_matt)
You need to ask? It would merely be remain option and a deal nobody wants.
So the MPs and the government would have failed the 17.4 million people that voted leave
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Psaa)
So the MPs and the government would have failed the 17.4 million people that voted leave
Poll after poll of leave voters want no deal, the ballot paper will never have it.
Stebe
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU. It's clear there is no definite answer to the mess the UK finds itself right now. Both the society and the Commons are pretty much deadlocked. Time is running up and the exit is in this situation inevitable, so the only good way to resolve this issue is to revoke and put the Article 50 back in the drawer.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Psaa
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Poll after poll of leave voters want no deal, the ballot paper will never have it.
So we live in an undemocratic society?
tomahawker314
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Psaa)
It depends on what one means by a democratic society. A perfect democracy where everyone is both heard and has opportunity to put forward ideas is completely unworkable hence we have a system where each area (which can have widely different opinions even within) puts forward a spokesperson and occassionally these spokespeople seek confirmation ie a referundum but other than casting a vote the everyday man has very little input.

Deciding what democracy to have is a very contentious and complicated issue, do we need statistical representation etc, hence every country has a slightly differerent version each with benefits and drawbacks.
Last edited by tomahawker314; 1 month ago
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Psaa)
Of course. you would get more in North Korea apparently.
Psaa
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But a huge percentage of these spokespeople aren't representative of the majority they are speaking for.
Doones
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unless there is a commons vote on something before Wednesday, then some EU countries may well veto against the extension. They will very likely not want Farage and co complicating Europe matters.
One, how would Farage have any greater influence on the EU in the future than he does now (i.e. barely any)?

Two, if a long extension worries the EU (specifically Guy Verhofstadt) doesn't that highlight how much power the UK has by remaining in the EU rather than leaving?
independentx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stebe)
Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU. It's clear there is no definite answer to the mess the UK finds itself right now. Both the society and the Commons are pretty much deadlocked. Time is running up and the exit is in this situation inevitable, so the only good way to resolve this issue is to revoke and put the Article 50 back in the drawer.
That is a very fair point, I should have included that in the poll.
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Doones)
One, how would Farage have any greater influence on the EU in the future than he does now (i.e. barely any)?

Two, if a long extension worries the EU (specifically Guy Verhofstadt) doesn't that highlight how much power the UK has by remaining in the EU rather than leaving?
I'm just listening to the opinions of some EU folk.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Psaa)
Why only consider the opinion of leave voters?

Did the majority of Leave voters want a no deal Brexit?

Were Leave voters promised a "free trade deal" by Vote Leave in the run up to the referendum?
Last edited by Doones; 1 month ago
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Doones)
Why only consider the opinion of leave voters?
The leave vote won, people still crying about that?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The leave vote won, people still crying about that?
See my edit above.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (177)
25.54%
The paper was reasonable (308)
44.44%
Not feeling great about that exam (133)
19.19%
It was TERRIBLE (75)
10.82%

Watched Threads