What is the best way forward on Brexit Watch

Poll: What is the best and most productive way forward for Brexit?
Leave without a deal on 12th April 2019 (327)
21.26%
Extend article 50 until 30th June, allowing for further negotiations or votes on Theresa May's deal (143)
9.3%
Extend Article 50 by up to a year, allowing a complete renegotiation, second referendum or general election (1068)
69.44%
tomahawker314
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Doones)
Do you know what the economic and social impact is of leaving with no deal?

Do you also know that the EU will not open negotiations on future trading arrangements unless the already negotiated "divorce agreement" and backstop is accepted anyway? So No Deal is slamming the door on the EU (our largest trading partner).
Can I ask of your opinion on Theresa May's deal?
JTfoxlove
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Psaa)
But we have the worst trade balance with the EU which has to be looked at.
A very Trumpian understanding of economics, watch out for those windmills.
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by independentx)
52% of the electorate may have voted leave, but what about the other equally important 48%? They voted remain and I don't think their opinions should be completely ignored because of an extremely narrow majority.

As an aside, I think the margin for referenda should have to be at least 10% for the result to be seen as conclusive.
And what do you do if leave wins but falls just short of that barrier? (Ie 54-46)
Doones
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tomahawker314)
Can I ask of your opinion on Theresa May's deal?
I think she has redlined herself into a corner. The only way I'd want it to be passed by parliament is if it was conditional on a confirmatory referendum.
independentx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
And what do you do if leave wins but falls just short of that barrier? (Ie 54-46)
I don't know but there would have to be a line somewhere below which a result would not be conclusive.
xDron3
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Either leave with no deal, or scrap it. Our MPs are too useless to negotiate anything meaningful.
tomahawker314
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think she has redlined herself into a corner. The only way I'd want it to be passed by parliament is if it was conditional on a confirmatory referendum.
Ok that makes sense. I can see merit to the second referendum, the voting demographic is sufficiently different, we now know more what a Brexit looks like and a fair amount of time has passed, but I would still feel betrayed if after all this we ended up remaining, which I fear is the real purpose of the delays.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s quite simple unless a agreement is reached by Thursday there will be an extension may ruled out no deal on the 12th already.

The Eu has already said it will extend
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
josephoidy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The thing that has anoyed me through out this whole process is the fact that we are labeling this whole process as "Brexit" but its pretty much "Brexit" but with everything we have in the EU.

Im a remainer, but the british public has spoke, its called democracy. A second referendum would also be good, but only if the public wants it.

Also if we do end up backing May's deal, she has said that she will resign, so this could be a good shout.
Neilos
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd prefer a deal but looking at the ridiculous mess parliament is making (they're doing it intentionally, of course)... I'd be happy enough with no deal if it meant Brexit would actually happen and be done.

Then we could go back to having things like actual news programmes, rather than 'man stood outside parliament talking for 20 minutes, then the weather'.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
If a confirmatory referendum ended up being 50.1 Leave and 49.9 Remain then Leave has it.

I think a supermajority should have been part of the process at the outset but that ship has unfortunately sailed.

(Original post by tomahawker314)
Ok that makes sense. I can see merit to the second referendum, the voting demographic is sufficiently different, we now know more what a Brexit looks like and a fair amount of time has passed, but I would still feel betrayed if after all this we ended up remaining, which I fear is the real purpose of the delays.
The reason for the delays is because the gov doesn't have either the full support of its own MPs or the support of parliament. If TM had won a landslide then all this would probably have been settled ages ago.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by paul514)
It’s quite simple unless a agreement is reached by Thursday there will be an extension may ruled out no deal on the 12th already.

The Eu has already said it will extend
There's a lot of debate within the EU on the length/terms of an extension though. Macron and others are against a long one.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There's a lot of debate within the EU on the length/terms of an extension though. Macron and others are against a long one.
Apparently but so what? If they are against long it will be short..... either way it’s an extension or a deal next week
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Apparently but so what? If they are against long it will be short..... either way it’s an extension or a deal next week
A short extension makes no deal more likely.
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Correct me if wrong but I remember the EU explicitly stating that they cannot extend Article 50 until 30th June as that date is simply unfeasible. However, they did say that they will grant a longer extension. In my view, there needs to be a longer extension of Article 50 to sort out the prevalent issue of the Irish backstop and contingency plans in case of a No Deal Brexit because this government is simply incompetent at best. What ultimately needs to happen now is for May or her successor to put the Withdrawal Agreement, No Deal Brexit or No Brexit on the table in the form of a confirmatory public vote as soon as possible to end this deadline and so we can officially move on as country and focus on other issues that are so important, i.e. improvements to the NHS etc.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A short extension makes no deal more likely.
Good.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Cancel it.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good.
I see, and what about this...

Do you know what the economic and social impact is of leaving with no deal?

Do you also know that the EU will not open negotiations on future trading arrangements unless the already negotiated "divorce agreement" and backstop is accepted anyway? So No Deal is slamming the door on the EU (our largest trading partner).
Emma:-)
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just get us out with no deal. End of.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well, only one of the three options actually delivers in anything more than a technical sense so it's a bit of a no brainer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (136)
22.82%
The paper was reasonable (262)
43.96%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
18.12%
It was TERRIBLE (90)
15.1%

Watched Threads