What is the best way forward on Brexit Watch

Poll: What is the best and most productive way forward for Brexit?
Leave without a deal on 12th April 2019 (327)
21.26%
Extend article 50 until 30th June, allowing for further negotiations or votes on Theresa May's deal (143)
9.3%
Extend Article 50 by up to a year, allowing a complete renegotiation, second referendum or general election (1068)
69.44%
independentx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by josephoidy)
The thing that has anoyed me through out this whole process is the fact that we are labeling this whole process as "Brexit" but its pretty much "Brexit" but with everything we have in the EU.

Im a remainer, but the british public has spoke, its called democracy. A second referendum would also be good, but only if the public wants it.

Also if we do end up backing May's deal, she has said that she will resign, so this could be a good shout.
Definitely. I think a resignation is well overdue. Theresa May was a remainer during the Brexit campaign. I personally don't think she should have been dealing with this in the first place but ah well.
11dheald
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think the result of the first referendum should be implemented before we have another one.Surely that's how democracy works. We can have another vote after we've left.Speaking from a remainers point of view
independentx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Neilos)
I'd prefer a deal but looking at the ridiculous mess parliament is making (they're doing it intentionally, of course)... I'd be happy enough with no deal if it meant Brexit would actually happen and be done.

Then we could go back to having things like actual news programmes, rather than 'man stood outside parliament talking for 20 minutes, then the weather'.
This is perfect. Perhaps one of the best arguments for no-deal. As much as I'd prefer a good deal and a good relationship with the EU, I'm getting fed up of it too.
username3883544
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A second referendum, so we can accept this was an act of economic self-harm and remain. Failing that, a customs union and a delay to allow proper discussion, perhaps the one year suggestion.
independentx
Rep:
?
I don't really see the point of a short extension, they've spent the last 3 months 'fighting' over it so what difference would an extra 3 months make? They'd probably just spend that time doing the exact same thing. Whereas, a longer extension would allow for more worthwhile negotiations and/or a general election.
11dheald
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by independentx)
I don't really see the point of a short extension, they've spent the last 3 months 'fighting' over it so what difference would an extra 3 months make? They'd probably just spend that time doing the exact same thing. Whereas, a longer extension would allow for more worthwhile negotiations and/or a general election.
Agreed. I say, get it over and done with as soon as possible. In 10 years we will be fine.
Doones
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 11dheald)
In 10 years we will be fine.
"In 10 years"... sounds a very attractive proposition.
11dheald
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think most people agree that Brexit won't be beneficial in the short term, but will be in the long term
(Original post by Doones)
"In 10 years"... sounds a very attractive proposition.
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm sorry but the European Union will not engage in any 'complete renegotiation'. It is simply not in their interests to do so; there is no motivation in the EU to do so.

Barring the passage of Mrs May's deal (no matter how 'bad' it is), the only plausible option is a managed no deal - along the lines of the Malthouse compromise where we acknowledge, accordingly, that negotiations have irretrievably broken down and isolate areas of common interest and agreement in the current WA and ratify them.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 11dheald)
I think most people agree that Brexit won't be beneficial in the short term, but will be in the long term
Well, delaying instant gratification is always more beneficial.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What about it?

Are you seriously wanting to engage in my thoughts on brexit from a poster as committed as myself to brexit?

Are you not bored of the pedantic nature of that?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ColinDent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Doones)
Do you know what the economic and social impact is of leaving with no deal?

Do you also know that the EU will not open negotiations on future trading arrangements unless the already negotiated "divorce agreement" and backstop is accepted anyway? So No Deal is slamming the door on the EU (our largest trading partner).
No it's not, if you believe that the EU would not be scrambling to do a deal in that scenario then you are a fool.
Germany are struggling, France aren't doing as well as they could, Italy are on the brink of another recession.
The fact of the matter is that had we left the day after the referendum then we would be in a much better position now, it's parliament that's caused the problem, not the idea of brexit.
Grace C
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
why did so many idiots vote out in the first place
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Grace C)
Because we are so stupid? Haven’t you been listening for the last 3 years?
Notsureimsure
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wow 160 people put "extend for a year"?! Surprised that many people don't believe in democracy, and would rather let bureaucracy reign supreme. We should have left on March 29th, it was enscribed in law. What does this imply for all the other laws and referendums in this country. Are they really that plastic. Maybe we should have another referendum on Scottish independence, or perhaps revisit the laws on guns?
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Notsureimsure)
Wow 160 people put "extend for a year"?! Surprised that many people don't believe in democracy, and would rather let bureaucracy reign supreme. We should have left on March 29th, it was enscribed in law. What does this imply for all the other laws and referendums in this country. Are they really that plastic. Maybe we should have another referendum on Scottish independence, or perhaps revisit the laws on guns?
If corbyn gets elected let’s vote again before he takes office 👀
Notsureimsure
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by paul514)
If corbyn gets elected let’s vote again before he takes office 👀
If the conservatives keep asking for extensions and don't hurry up and put someone sensible like Jacob in charge, we will end up with the worst possible scenario: remaining in the EU + a corbyn government.

Spoiler:
Show
the thought of that combination genuinely makes me feel sick
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Notsureimsure)
If the conservatives keep asking for extensions and don't hurry up and put someone sensible like Jacob in charge, we will end up with the worst possible scenario: remaining in the EU a corbyn government.

Spoiler:
Show
the thought of that combination genuinely makes me feel sick
Not to worry we will just demand a third referendum and a re run of that general election before he comes to power.

Remainer rational
Last edited by paul514; 1 month ago
ColinDent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Grace C)
Just to irk EU loving people like you.
By the way you're not related to Vinny are you?
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
Just to irk EU loving people like you.
By the way you're not related to Vinny are you?
Maybe this is the fabled person vinny talks about driving off the brexit bridge?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (136)
22.82%
The paper was reasonable (262)
43.96%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
18.12%
It was TERRIBLE (90)
15.1%

Watched Threads