What is the best way forward on Brexit Watch

Poll: What is the best and most productive way forward for Brexit?
Leave without a deal on 12th April 2019 (327)
21.26%
Extend article 50 until 30th June, allowing for further negotiations or votes on Theresa May's deal (143)
9.3%
Extend Article 50 by up to a year, allowing a complete renegotiation, second referendum or general election (1068)
69.44%
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by independentx)
As I'm sure we are all aware, it is an extremely uncertain time for this country at the moment,. Following today's news about the potential extension of Article 50, we have 3 basic options for moving forward with the Brexit process.

Which one do you think is the best and most productive way forward?
My actual preference should next weeks negotiations or indicative votes fail to succeed is to essentially accept the flexible 1 year extension (we leave when we wish according to Tusk), have May start the leadership contest and then have the new leader go to the country on no deal (recent Youguv polling suggests there is now majority support in every English region bar London). We would then on that timetable and allowing a few months to manage the coming situation leave at the end of the year but be able to declare in summer that No Deal is what we have chosen (with the caveat that we would ratify May's withdrawal agreement only if we have a unilateral right to exit - Giving the EU the opportunity to force Ireland to cave).
Doones
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
go to the country on no deal (recent Youguv polling suggests there is now majority support in every English region bar London).
That's not entirely correct. Read YouGov's full release on that...
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...no-deal-brexit

And from the same survey:
Name:  No Deal not preferred.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  36.1 KB
MrDystopia
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Extension to allow for a GE or second referendum. It appears the only way to break both the deadlock in Parliament and to try and force the Tories to actually move the process forward. Since I’m sure we don’t need reminding (though we get it daily anyway) on the mess they’ve created with this process.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Where's the revoke article 50 option?
04MR17
  • Careers Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
MORE BREXIT
WE WANT ANOTHER YEAR OF IT :ahee:
alyaapenguin
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What we really need is a second referendum where the younger population votes (which won't happen anyways) because these voices are extremely important
NJA
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The experts that predict "no deal" will be an economic catastrophe . . . what do they predict regarding the future strength of the Euro-economy?
I'm hearing reports that they are *actually* going into recession!

If we are in a customs union with them, we get the "benefit" of a shrinking market and are obstructed by tarriffs from exploiting better markets outside.
usermeme1112
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hopefully a second referendum and stay, as half of the public didn't even know what Brexit was in the first Referendum. It was more commanly reffered to by the downies of EDL and Nigale Farage supporters as a button to stop immigrants coming in, overall leaving the Eu would be really bad for our economy, staying in Eu is our best shot at prosphering further
(Original post by independentx)
As I'm sure we are all aware, it is an extremely uncertain time for this country at the moment,. Following today's news about the potential extension of Article 50, we have 3 basic options for moving forward with the Brexit process.

Which one do you think is the best and most productive way forward?
Last edited by usermeme1112; 1 month ago
WhoDaresWins
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Revoke, revoke, revoke!
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by paul514)
If corbyn gets elected let’s vote again before he takes office 👀
Serious suggestion made before MacDonald took office in 1924
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
MORE BREXIT
WE WANT ANOTHER YEAR OF IT :ahee:
Although the public claims to be sick and tired of Brexit, BBC Parliament Channel has record viewing figures and most news coverage has increased audiece figures.
The_Icy_One
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Although the public claims to be sick and tired of Brexit, BBC Parliament Channel has record viewing figures and most news coverage has increased audiece figures.
To be perfectly honest, I've felt a bit of guilt recently at just how much I've been enjoying all of the political drama that seems bent on making my future a hell of a lot harder. An indefinite extension would be my ideal solution, endless drama with no new major damage done.
jay111a
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
Keep our Union strong, and not weaken its state in any negotiations even if it means a customs union.. hopefully a second referendum and remain
So Say We All
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ColinDent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The_Icy_One)
To be perfectly honest, I've felt a bit of guilt recently at just how much I've been enjoying all of the political drama that seems bent on making my future a hell of a lot harder. An indefinite extension would be my ideal solution, endless drama with no new major damage done.
You do understand that a lot of the economic disruption is caused by the uncertainty, a ploy that's being used by the remainers to make the idea of brexit less appealing, a ploy that most of us leavers can see right through though.
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I dont see a remove parliament and reinstate the monarchy or an elective dictatorship option.
Kilam_Namoan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No deal is the only acceptable deal.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
All media organisations are doing very well out of it, LBC has had record audiences and bloggers are also well up. Nothing sells facetime like Brexit! Imagine if the media knew that in advance and had helped conspire to make it so. It's quite incredible to imagine the likes of Facebook and Rupert Murdoch ensuring a Leave vote just to boost sales.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The_Icy_One)
Watching other people's bad news on Telly has always been enjoyable for many. It's not quite so enjoyable when it's you. After we crash out and there are riots, food shortages, armed gangs of marauders and army rule, will we still be glued to Sky salivating for the next round of amusing chaos?
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Watching other people's bad news on Telly has always been enjoyable for many. It's not quite so enjoyable when it's you. After we crash out and there are riots, food shortages, armed gangs of marauders and army rule, will we still be glued to Sky salivating for the next round of amusing chaos?
I found an image of your post brexit world

https://images.app.goo.gl/bFrcwogLN6ADFJE16
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by paul514; 1 month ago
DragonsOfAsshai
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly I think there should be a second referendum with the options of may's deal or no deal or even remain if people really want (but I don't think it's that good an idea). If they don't want to do this then just go with no deal because negotiating with the EU is hell, they're dicks tbh and I think a lot more would have liked to leave if it didn't have such bad economic effects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (136)
22.82%
The paper was reasonable (262)
43.96%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
18.12%
It was TERRIBLE (90)
15.1%

Watched Threads