Ironic Penguin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Is it true that we get a grade 2 all over when starting basic training?

The joining instructions state that upon our arrival, male hair should "well cut and trimmed" also "The Officer Commanding shall be the arbiter upon what is or not an acceptable hairstyle or length of cut" which seems to contradict my theory.

It seems silly to spend money on a haircut then get buzzed to a grade 2.
Last edited by Ironic Penguin; 2 years ago
Advertisement
username1119229
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ironic Penguin)
Is it true that we get a grade 2 all over when starting basic training?

The joining instructions state that upon our arrival, male hair should "well cut and trimmed" also "The Officer Commanding shall be the arbiter upon what is or not an acceptable hairstyle or length of cut" which seems to contradict my theory.

It seems silly to spend money on a haircut then get buzzed to a grade 2.
You might as well just let them cut it when you arrive. Save your money and get a cheap trim at Halton
Ironic Penguin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Yeah, that's what I thought. If everyone has a mandatory shave then why waste the money on a haircut.
(Original post by 0902)
You might as well just let them cut it when you arrive. Save your money and get a cheap trim at Halton
username1119229
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ironic Penguin)
Yeah, that's what I thought. If everyone has a mandatory shave then why waste the money on a haircut.
Save that money for a well deserved drink at the bar mate!
RedImp98
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi guys I’ve got my BRTC in a few months, I’ve heard that you DON’T have to get a buzz cut on arrival anymore? Just wondering if anyone knows if it’s true or not as I’m curious.
Advertisement
Schleigg
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It’s not a movie boot camp. You don’t have to get a buzz cut. You do have to follow the rules as written in your joining instructions. Most people probably get a low-maintenance haircut at basic training because it’s one fewer things to think about and they just go with the flow because everyone else is doing it and they don’t want to stand out.
AlphaTango
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Schleigg)
It’s not a movie boot camp. You don’t have to get a buzz cut. You do have to follow the rules as written in your joining instructions. Most people probably get a low-maintenance haircut at basic training because it’s one fewer things to think about and they just go with the flow because everyone else is doing it and they don’t want to stand out.
Incorrect Schleigg for years it’s been a mandatory buzz cut during the first week for airman starting basic training. Think you went the master race path so wouldn’t have been subjected to it!
Advertisement
Schleigg
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AlphaTango)
Incorrect Schleigg for years it’s been a mandatory buzz cut during the first week for airman starting basic training. Think you went the master race path so wouldn’t have been subjected to it!
I stand corrected! Though I would have thought we were past all that!
RedImp98
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cheers guys for the help👍🏼 Looking forward to the buzz cut!!!
Advertisement
NotCatchingMe
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You don’t get a buzz cut at Halton anymore. The shortest on the sides is a 2 you are allowed and on top you can have a reasonable length. Times are changing. You will clean shave every day at phase 1 unless of religious reasons.
RedImp98
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by NotCatchingMe)
You don’t get a buzz cut at Halton anymore. The shortest on the sides is a 2 you are allowed and on top you can have a reasonable length. Times are changing. You will clean shave every day at phase 1 unless of religious reasons.
I’d would won’t if this is true👍🏼 Thankyou
Advertisement
SmutsReport
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can I confirm this is (still) correct? I know this was only a month ago but really don't want a buzz cut... (My BRTC has been moved forward to March)
RAF_Adam
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SmutsReport)
Can I confirm this is (still) correct? I know this was only a month ago but really don't want a buzz cut... (My BRTC has been moved forward to March)
Hi

If you're male then yes, it's likely you'll get a No2 all over unless your hair is pretty short already anyway. If you're female you won't.

You can see on the video diaries what to expect, you will be able to grow it our during the course, it just needs keeping neat.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...4FE915BF943C59

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Advertisement
SmutsReport
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Okay thanks Adam.

I've watched all the diary entries but was hoping that aspect was outdated. Scared my hair on top won't fully grow back as I have a slight receding hairline... I have my hair relatively short so I'll just see if they want to shave it all off.
gcmdnm9297
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I can confirm you 100% dont need a buzz cut. Your hair just needs to be short enough to fit under your beret and the sides cant be shorter than a 2.
BareFacedLoady
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SmutsReport)
Okay thanks Adam.

I've watched all the diary entries but was hoping that aspect was outdated. Scared my hair on top won't fully grow back as I have a slight receding hairline... I have my hair relatively short so I'll just see if they want to shave it all off.
Known lads who've recently come through and as far as I'm aware, it's still grade 2 all over.

I'd would say though mate, everyone will look the same and the gopping lid will be a pretty insignificant worry a few days in

Enjoy. All the best with basic
username1119229
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If anything - I’d rather a grade 2 all over! Time saver when it comes to a quick shower..
Advertisement
compostable
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sorry to bump this post, but what happens if your sides are shorter than a grade 2? I tend to have a Grade zero fade going up the sides and slightly longer on top ? Will I be sent home if I show up with this?
Tempest II
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by compostable)
Sorry to bump this post, but what happens if your sides are shorter than a grade 2? I tend to have a Grade zero fade going up the sides and slightly longer on top ? Will I be sent home if I show up with this?
Unless you've got wording or something similar etched into your fade, I don't think you need to worry.
Last edited by Tempest II; 5 days ago
Jconny02
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by RedImp98)
Hi guys I’ve got my BRTC in a few months, I’ve heard that you DON’T have to get a buzz cut on arrival anymore? Just wondering if anyone knows if it’s true or not as I’m curious.
I did my basic in April. Due to COVID, we didnt get our hair cuts as there was no hair dresser. I think it may go back to the number 2 all over for the newbies. Just go down with your hair neat and no less than a number 2 on the sides as your hair is covered most of the time with your beret.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.46%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.08%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (39)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.2%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise