ColtonH5364
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello! I’m a first year undergraduate student studying Maths at Imperial College London (ICL) and really not happy here!

Bit of background knowledge: The first time I applied for university was back in 2016 age 17 for 2017 entry but it was for Engineering not Maths. My hope to go to Oxbridge was definitely crushed as my AS grades were not great (AABD) but I applied for top universities anyway as I assumed I’d be taking a gap year. Miraculously, I got top offers from universities such as Imperial. I did apply to Oxford and unsurprisingly was rejected pre interview. I then decided to try and work really hard to get the grades required for Oxford but due to extreme circumstances my A Level grades were terrible so I missed my offer for Imperial by a lot. I was expecting it but of course was super disappointed. I then reapplied this time for Maths. I applied to the same universities again (stupidly applied to Oxford with terrible grades but just didn’t know what other university I should put). Again I received offers from all my universities except for Oxford (however I did receive an interview invite from them). So I retook my A Levels said bye to the Oxbridge dream because I thought there’s no point dwelling on it as I’ve got offers from amazing institutions again which I know is more unlikely to happen than likely given my situation with grades. I ended up getting all A*s and looked forward to starting my journey at Imperial. Now I am here, I just hate every single moment of it. The only good part is that I’m in South Kensington so a good nightlife. I’m not saying the students are bad. They’re lovely but the whole university just seems lifeless and depressing. I just can’t bare another day.

I will probably get a lot of hate for this but its been eating me alive that now I’ve got the grades I didn’t go for Oxford again. Yes 3 times applying is very weird but I never had the grades before and think I would have made a better application now that I do. There have been a few cases where people have gotten in on the third go as well. I just feel I’d be so much happier at Oxford. All my friends are loving it there and whenever I go and visit I love it so much.

So I don’t know whether it’s worth putting in one more application for 2020 entry but carrying on at Imperial or whether I should suck it up and not waste any more years? Had I gone to university back in 2017 I would have been graduating in 2020 but now I’ll be graduating in 2021 if I stay at Imperial and 2024 if I reapply and successfully make it to Oxford.

I apologise for such a long, glum first post!
Dequavius
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you feel you can come out with an alright grade from Imperial I'd stay stick it out for the next 2 years. There's no guarantee that you'd get into Oxford just cos you've met the minimum A Level requirements.you've said that the people at ICL are fine and that should be what matters. Students are what make the uni, they'll be able to make it seem less drab.PS should've firmed Worrick for maths (assuming you applied there)
ColtonH5364
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
See I don’t know if I can :\ I’m just so so depressed here. And I understand that there’s no guarantee hence why I won’t be dropping out for the sole reason that Oxford might take me. I’d be reapplying whilst in my 2nd year of university. The people are fine they are lovely but like most of them are in cliques. In my experience, the internationals tend to stick with internationals and my accommodation has mainly international people. I’ve tried to fit in I just can’t I don’t know if I should drop out completely reapply to other universities too that I like or just stick it out and pray to god that I don’t get anything less than a 2.1?
(Original post by Dequavius)
If you feel you can come out with an alright grade from Imperial I'd stay stick it out for the next 2 years. There's no guarantee that you'd get into Oxford just cos you've met the minimum A Level requirements.you've said that the people at ICL are fine and that should be what matters. Students are what make the uni, they'll be able to make it seem less drab.PS should've firmed Worrick for maths (assuming you applied there)
Dequavius
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well I suppose if you're adamant that you hate it there you should move. You've been there a year which I think is plenty long enough for you to have a good idea of what the uni is like (i.e. its not a case of stay for longer you may begin to like it).

what would suck the most is if you spent 3 years there hating it and still came out with <2.1. If you really can't see the situation improving then the best option would be to reapply, there are plenty of other unis out there where you can study maths without sacrificing your happiness, id suggest trying Bath, Bristol, Oxford, Warwick, UCL maybe (UCL is still London but the campus seems lovely unlike imperials which i also heavily dislike). Your happiness comes first mate, don't forget that
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
DEFINITELY apply to oxford it’s obvious that that is what you want to do and I think you would forced regret it is you just carried on at imperial and your mental health suffered. The only thing is i don’t know if you can apply while at another uni?!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ColtonH5364)
You need to check out the technicalities.

If you are applying from your 2nd year at Imperial, you will only get your 2nd and 3rd years paid for at Oxford, so you'd have to be able to fund a year. This applies if you move anywhere, you get 3 years funding plus a spare year.

Oxford may not take you directly from Imperial if you are studying the same or similar subject. Cambridge certainly won't, Oxford are a bit more flexible but prefer a subject change.
rebellionium
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
May I ask why many people are so unhappy with Imperial?
Parliament
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rebellionium)
May I ask why many people are so unhappy with Imperial?
It suffers from the same complaints as all London unis: very corporate, no culture, no community feeling amongst students, and being a sterile, lifeless, and purely functional place to study

@OP you need to check you can self-fund a year as you won't be able to fund a year now that you've gone to Imperial. Also, as far as I know Oxbridge won't admit people to the same degree programme they've already begun elsewhere precisely to stop people doing what you want to do and cheesing other unis by "trading up" to Oxbridge once they have strong confirmed A2 results. You need to check this before you do anything drastic but afaik it's hard to move in the way you've described. Have you considered sticking it out at Imperial and then doing a postgrad at Oxford if your heart is set on going there?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (30)
28.57%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.52%
No I am happy with my choice (59)
56.19%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
5.71%

Watched Threads