The Student Room Group

Home Office makes £2m a month from child citizenship fees as parents driven into debt

Poll

Should child immigration fees be waived for those who cannot afford it?

The Home Office makes £2m a month from child citizenship fees, figures show, as campaigners warned charges are driving parents into debt and even forcing them to skip meals.

Data obtained through a freedom of information request by community organising group Citizens UK, reveals the department is raking in £24m a year or around £500,000 a week on charges for children to register for British citizenship. That is the equivalent of £71,429 each day

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/home-office-child-citizenship-british-fees-debt-uk-a8855316.html

Discuss
(edited 5 years ago)
ok
Home office has an income stream. Good to know...
Daily Mail headline-seque - they need revenue to maintain these services though accept that the fees aren't progressive so affect the lowest earners and their families the most
I remember when I(my parents) applied for my citizenship, bloody expensive.

Maybe they should waive/reduce costs, but HO still have to pay for the service. :dontknow:
(edited 5 years ago)
No they shouldn't be waived.
citizenship and all visa required costs are expensive, but not extremely so. No one is getting it debt over them (unless they are making awful financial choices), and to presume that they are is misleading.

Its a one off payment of around a grand.

Put that into perspective.. citizenship of this country costs about as much as an iphone, or a semi-decent tv/pc... or an average european holiday.
Reply 7
From the article: "I know sometimes the schools organise school trips abroad. He will be left out because he won’t be able to go."

Oh, boo hoo, missus!! My (British) parents couldn't afford for me and my siblings to go on school trips abroad, or even family holidays outside of the UK, and we got our school uniform through the local council, and we never felt left out. We had some great seaside holidays! You could afford to come here, you've had 10 years to save up for this. Anyway, where's the father of this Daniel to make a contribution?

You want to come to this country, learn the rules, pay your way and don't expect everything on a plate.
Reply 8
The Home Office makes £2m a month from child citizenship fees, figures show, as campaigners warned charges are driving parents into debt and even forcing them to skip meals.

I may be an EU citizen, that's no obstacle to regard this as stupid goddamn ********. Public narrative has just gone through the floor, we're all addressed as little children who cannot respond to anything other than crude emotional manipulation. Not by accident, it's the riff-raff that stands to gain from it that makes it happen.
No it shouldn't be waived to be honest. I don't see how they are supposedly driving them into debt unless they have more than two kids which if they do it is their own fault and should have realised they can't afford to have that many kids to begin with before trying to get citizenship which is about a grand. They are just over exaggerating things and to be honest it is a good thing that they are making money as I would be more concerned about them loosing money
Of course they shouldn't be waived. We shouldn't be entertaining citizenship applications from people so likely to be a burden on the state that they cannot afford the entirely voluntary fees.
If you can't afford citizenship here, then keep your old citizenship for absolutely free?

Having UK citizenship is nice, but we can't just extend it to everybody in the world who wants it for free, that would be crazy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending