Ccea as level exams 2019

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by allenpc
I think I got P(a^3 + 2a, 0).

I got that as well
Original post by CoolR
How did everyone find maths today

Was ok until last two questions. They were difficult.
Reply 182
I managed to get the first part of the prove that question for the last question by finding x in terms of r using SOHCAHTOA then cos180-x became -cosx
Original post by CoolR
I managed to get the first part of the prove that question for the last question by finding x in terms of r using SOHCAHTOA then cos180-x became -cosx

I didn't explicitly say cos180-x became -cosx, but just converted -2cosxcos(180-x) to 2cos^2(x) - might lose the final mark but yeah, took me a while to realise the right angled triangle and sinx lol
Thanks! A levels are a completely different ball game to gcses and I just have to remind myself that I cant find every paper easy or ok or answer every question at A Level. Do you think grade boundaries will be low? I have to revise this afternoon and I just have no motivation all because of that last question. How annoying is it that one question can ruin a good paper and maybe even ruin your grade! The thing is I thought the rest of the paper was ok but getting not getting that last question wrong just blows it all out of proportion and it is all I can focus on, not the things that I knew were right 😣 sorry for the rant I am just finding A levels overwhelming this year. Gcses were a breeze last year in comparison 😂
Original post by allenpc
Don't worry. I think the whole country probably found that question very challenging. Plus, everyone in the exam room around me had no confidence in the last question at all.
Original post by CoolR

Same for me!
Honestly hoping that at least I get working out marks 😂😂
Yeah last question of that maths paper was awful, up til then it was ok I tried working backwards from what they gave but obviously that’s wrong. Everyone I’ve spoken too found it super tough.
Reply 188
Original post by Vet Student 2020
Thanks! A levels are a completely different ball game to gcses and I just have to remind myself that I cant find every paper easy or ok or answer every question at A Level. Do you think grade boundaries will be low? I have to revise this afternoon and I just have no motivation all because of that last question. How annoying is it that one question can ruin a good paper and maybe even ruin your grade! The thing is I thought the rest of the paper was ok but getting not getting that last question wrong just blows it all out of proportion and it is all I can focus on, not the things that I knew were right 😣 sorry for the rant I am just finding A levels overwhelming this year. Gcses were a breeze last year in comparison 😂

I know what you mean - from the 3 tests I’ve done so far they were a world away from GCSEs (damn that chem practical was the weirdest thing I’ve done). Please don’t focus on that one question - on speaking to everyone I’ll say 95% of my year did not even attempt!!! You’ll do amazing. Trust me.
Thank you so much it means a lot just having a bit of a wobble after that but just need to keep going until they are over on 29th May! I realised since I typed my answer I did the last 2 completely wrong so will get 0 out of 12. Just have to work extra hard for mechanics. You will do amazingly too!
Original post by CoolR
I know what you mean - from the 3 tests I’ve done so far they were a world away from GCSEs (damn that chem practical was the weirdest thing I’ve done). Please don’t focus on that one question - on speaking to everyone I’ll say 95% of my year did not even attempt!!! You’ll do amazing. Trust me.
The last question was a really *****y move on CCEAs part because the easiest way to convert Cos(180-ϴ) was to use the addition formula, which you wont learn until Trig in A2 1. Using that formula Cos(180-ϴ) becomes -cosϴ. While it's not the only way to do it, it is but far the easiest. Im doing AS and A2 this year in the new spec, thats how I know it. Even tho I got the first part on the question, the answer I got for the second part of the question is defo wrong 😩😭. Anyone get an answer for 9. ii)?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by allenpc
I think I got P(a^3 + 2a, 0).

I got that too!
Hi Im an AS student and my teacher says she will put in a complaint to ccea becuase they cannot justify setting that question as you need to know that in order to solve it. The more teachers and people who put in a complete the better as they will have to not count the question or mark it out of half as it was an unfair question. I got 1 which I know is defo wrong as I had no idea how to do it but my teacher said it is 7. That last Q destroyed my confidence and motivation, not good when I have 8 more exams to go! It is only at this time I feel ready to start my revision again. Im very stressed and upset about this exam as I worked Sooo hard all year for it and it seems so unfair that 1 question worth a massive 12 marks can ruin a grade or a good paper
Original post by LMartin1013
The last question was a really *****y move on CCEAs part because the easiest way to convert Cos(180-ϴ) was to use the addition formula, which you wont learn until Trig in A2 1. Using that formula Cos(180-ϴ) becomes -cosϴ. Im doing AS and A2 this year in the new spec, thats how I know it. Even tho I got the first part on the question, the answer I got for the second part of the question is defo wrong 😩😭. Anyone get an answer for 9. ii)?
I know what you mean. If my tutor doesnt put a complaint in I might, but CCEA may just say that you can solve it using AS methods so my argument wouldn't really be viable. I see from your user name you are applying to vet school. Thats what i've done this year. If you need any help or advice for applying next year you can give me a shout.
Dont let one bad question throw off the rest of your exams. You've probably done will over all in the paper and even with the wrong answer you'll still get method marks, so don't worry, you wont have lost all 12! And if everyone stumbled at the question the grade boundaries will adjust so the better marks will still get the higher grades! Its still possible to get an A at AS which a mediocre mark so put everything you've got into AS 2 and your other subjects😊
Hi Im an AS student and my teacher says she will put in a complaint to ccea becuase they cannot justify setting that question as you need to know that in order to solve it. The more teachers and people who put in a complete the better as they will have to not count the question or mark it out of half as it was an unfair question. I got 1 which I know is defo wrong as I had no idea how to do it but my teacher said it is 7. That last Q destroyed my confidence and motivation, not good when I have 8 more exams to go! It is only at this time I feel ready to start my revision again. Im very stressed and upset about this exam as I worked Sooo hard all year for it and it seems so unfair that 1 question worth a massive 12 marks can ruin a grade or a good paper
(edited 4 years ago)
The last question was a really *****y move on CCEAs part because the easiest way to convert Cos(180-ϴ) was to use the addition formula, which you wont learn until Trig in A2 1. Using that formula Cos(180-ϴ) becomes -cosϴ. While it's not the only way to do it, it is but far the easiest. Im doing AS and A2 this year in the new spec, thats how I know it. Even tho I got the first part on the question, the answer I got for the second part of the question is defo wrong 😩😭. Anyone get an answer for 9. ii)?

k = 10 ? Also I figured out cos(180-ϴ) = -cosϴ just by playing with my calculator and experimenting with values. I do A2 as well but all that was on my mind was the AS content.

k = 7 for me
I think thats the right answer but it defo ain't what I got 😂 O well fingers crosses for method marks 🤞🏻

Original post by mitosismeosis
k = 7 for me
I know what you mean. If my tutor doesnt put a complaint in I might, but CCEA may just say that you can solve it using AS methods so my argument wouldn't really be viable. I see from your user name you are applying to vet school. Thats what i've done this year. If you need any help or advice for applying next year you can give me a shout.
Dont let one bad question throw off the rest of your exams. You've probably done will over all in the paper and even with the wrong answer you'll still get method marks, so don't worry, you wont have lost all 12! And if everyone stumbled at the question the grade boundaries will adjust so the better marks will still get the higher grades! Its still possible to get an A at AS which a mediocre mark so put everything you've got into AS 2 and your other subjects😊

Thank you so much I know a couple of teachers from different schools putting in a complaint. Thank you so much about the vet school also! Which did you apply for? My top choice is Surrey Im going to an open day in the summer
Did anyone solve biology 9700 paper 21?
I applied Lpool, Notts, Surry and Bristol. Got a rejection before interview with Surry and Bristol tho 😢 But I was ok with that cuz I didnt go to the open days for those two and I didnt know what the Unis were like. Got offers from Lpool and Notts and i’ve firmed Lpool 🤠 Defo recommend see the unis 👍🏻 If this is your first time changing schools you need to get a gut feeling about a place. And when it comes to vet schools they all teach in different ways so go for the one that makes you most excited/ comfortable. I recommend avoiding this like uni league tables and stuff. Your better going to a uni that gives you a better feeling than one thats considered the “best” on paper yeno 👍🏻
Thank you so much I know a couple of teachers from different schools putting in a complaint. Thank you so much about the vet school also! Which did you apply for? My top choice is Surrey Im going to an open day in the summer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending