The Student Room Group

Ccea as level exams 2019

Scroll to see replies

I said fizzing instead of effervescence for my answers? Would I still get the marks?
Original post by BordLife
I just said that the lit splint was extinguished. I feel like half the paper tbh was just writing down effervescence/bubbles/fizzing lol.
Original post by John Bro.
I didn’t say effervescence at all in my paper and instead said fizzing? Would I still get the mark or are they different?

Don't worry, you'll get the mark.
Original post by Rebecca Faulkert
I said fizzing instead of effervescence for my answers? Would I still get the marks?

Yes, you will still get the marks. Don't worry.
Original post by CoolR
That was exactly the same as me haha!! Did your splint go out - everyone else’s seemed to but mine didnt😒

Also: maybe you waited too long after adding the copper sulfate solution to hold a lighted splint above the mixture, when no more carbon dioxide was being produced? My friend mentioned this to me earlier that he thinks this was why it didn't work for him either.
Reply 24
I remember you and Cool R too! I wrote effervescence a lot too and said lit splint was extinguished. I let my stuff filter and moved on to the next section whilst it was still filtering so I didnt run out of time. Mine and everyone else's didnt go completely colourless because our teacher said it is just very hard to dissolve. Although on the last page I wrote that the alcohol had 2 layers and was immiscible but on the iodine part I said there were 2 layers, bottom light brown-orange and the top layer a darker brown and I didnt say purple because mine looked brown. Because it was one mark and I talked about 2 layers would I still lose a mark for not saying purple in the iodine even though the Q is only out of 1 or 2 or would I have had to say purple to get full marks?
Original post by allenpc
I remember you from last year's GCSE thread!
Reply 25
Hi how did everyone find biology?
Reply 26
I found it fine apart from the heart and just strange pieces here and there
Original post by Vet Student 2020
Hi how did everyone find biology?
Reply 27
Original post by CoolR

Yeah it could have been worse. I was glad the chromatography was a long response question although I didnt really like the block diagram question and it took me forever to remember that the first question was a beating tray I had to come back to it at the end
Yeah, I remember you guys as well! For the last question I talked about the two layers to explain it being an organic solvent. I think I forgot to mention the colours. I think the other mark might have been about explaining why the organic solvent was saturated (solution would turn colourless if an unsaturated solvent was used- electrophilic addition).
I remember you and Cool R too! I wrote effervescence a lot too and said lit splint was extinguished. I let my stuff filter and moved on to the next section whilst it was still filtering so I didnt run out of time. Mine and everyone else's didnt go completely colourless because our teacher said it is just very hard to dissolve. Although on the last page I wrote that the alcohol had 2 layers and was immiscible but on the iodine part I said there were 2 layers, bottom light brown-orange and the top layer a darker brown and I didnt say purple because mine looked brown. Because it was one mark and I talked about 2 layers would I still lose a mark for not saying purple in the iodine even though the Q is only out of 1 or 2 or would I have had to say purple to get full marks?
Reply 29
Yeah it could have been worse. I was glad the chromatography was a long response question although I didnt really like the block diagram question and it took me forever to remember that the first question was a beating tray I had to come back to it at the end

What is a beating tray - do you not mean a quadrat
Yeah, I feel it went pretty well. Wasn't too sure on some bits though, like that frame thing in the first question and the inaccuracies of the block diagram.
Original post by CoolR
Reply 31
Yeah, I remember you guys as well! For the last question I talked about the two layers to explain it being an organic solvent. I think I forgot to mention the colours. I think the other mark might have been about explaining why the organic solvent was saturated (solution would turn colourless if an unsaturated solvent was used- electrophilic addition).

Yes I talked about that - I said two layers form as a result of immiscibility hence organic and the iodine layer remains purple whereas I unsaturated ie C=C there would be a colour change to colourless - although I thought the chemistry paper was a bit iffy. But, my chem teacher says the actual modules are by far more important
Yeah, I was talking about the practical biology paper with my teacher. She said that if you get full marks in the coursework (21/21) you can afford to lose like 20 marks in the practical paper as the two assessments totals are added together.
Original post by CoolR
Yes I talked about that - I said two layers form as a result of immiscibility hence organic and the iodine layer remains purple whereas I unsaturated ie C=C there would be a colour change to colourless - although I thought the chemistry paper was a bit iffy. But, my chem teacher says the actual modules are by far more important
Reply 33
I thought it was a quadrat at first but it didnt have any squares in it and quadrats dont really count animals
Original post by CoolR
What is a beating tray - do you not mean a quadrat
I remember seeing a type of quadrat like it in a geog field trip. I remember my teaching saying that you sometimes use them if you don't want to crush anything with the grid. So I ended up just putting down "quadrat with no grid". I looked it up there now and I think the official name is an 'open frame quadrat'. Although who knows what ccea wanted lol.
I thought it was a quadrat at first but it didnt have any squares in it and quadrats dont really count animals
(edited 4 years ago)
Anyone doing the physics practical booklet A tomorrow? What are you learning for that?
Reply 36
Aww I didnt know there was such a thing! How would you distinguish between that and a gridless quadrat? I wonder would they allow both as you wouldnt be able to tell as a diagram
I remember seeing a type of quadrat like it in a geog field trip. I remember my teaching saying that you sometimes use them if you don't want to crush anything with the grid. So I ended up just putting down "quadrat with no grid". I looked it up there now and I think the official name is an 'open frame quadrat'. Although who knows what ccea wanted lol.
Quadrats do sample animals. It says in the textbook that they sample small animals that don’t move much such as a snail
(edited 4 years ago)
Hey guys, how much is the chem practical worth?
also does anyone know the raw marks needed in chem to get a good A??
How did you all find the physics practical paper today?

Quick Reply