Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Sharpshooter)
How do you think the scaling will go?

Last year it was 78/100 for the A.

66/100 for the A (ouch) in 2017.

Similar to last year?
The paper certainly took some thought, but I think that all the questions were doable so I'd say similar to last year, judging off how others found it and how I found it.
Sharpshooter
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Na234)Me too! How do you define projectile motion?

Forgot to look over this so it was a wild guess. Wrote something along the lines of an object travelling freely in air with the only force acting on it being gravity?

I presume this is wrong?
Benkxnnedy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by allenpc)
Yeah that's it I don't think you need to mention the shape of the motion (parabola) as well
Nah I didn’t, did ur acceleration graph look like this?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
allenpc
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Forgot to look over this so it was a wild guess. Wrote something along the lines of an object travelling freely in air with the only force acting on it being gravity?

I presume this wrong?
You'll get at least a mark for that! But if you go by previous mark schemes you need to mention uniform vertical acceleration and uniform horizontal velocity.
Sharpshooter
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I got 3.71ms for the max velocity in the lift.

Any idea what people got for the current in bulb B? I think that was the only electricity question I struggled with. Wrote something like 0.096A, not sure if it was right.
Na234
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes i think that sounds familiar
I got the same max velocity as you. I have to agree that GWh question was a bit iffy but I ended up getting something like 3.02x10 to some power. Did you get something along those lines? I think the power was 8 but I can't exactly remember.
allenpc
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I got 3.71ms for the max velocity in the lift.

Any idea what people got for the current in bulb B? I think that was the only electricity question I struggled with.
0.24A?
allenpc
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Benkxnnedy)
Nah I didn’t, did ur acceleration graph look like this?
Exactly that yes
Sharpshooter
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
0.24A?
0.096A, think it's wrong though.

Just curious for the 3 other base units, were you supposed to write the name or the symbol for these? The question labelled the specific names so to kept it consistent I wrote kelvin, mole, metre
Sharpshooter
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I got 3.02 x 10^8 for the average power output in Q1
allenpc
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
0.096A, think it's wrong though.

Just curious for the 3 other base units, were you supposed to write the name or the symbol for these? The question labelled the specific names so to kept it consistent I wrote kelvin, mole, metre
I wrote the names too like you so we got the same answers. Also, I originally put the same current as you for my answer, but then I realised that I got my proportions wrong and that a smaller resistance will have the greater current, so I split up the proportion for current into 0.5 for the 6 Ohm and 0.25 for the other 12 Ohm branches. So 0.5 x 0.48 = 0.24A.
Benkxnnedy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How do you think the scaling will go?

Last year it was 78/100 for the A.

66/100 for the A (ouch) in 2017.

Similar to last year?
Yes I would say basically the same as last year.

For the current through lamp B did yous just half the current? I got 0.48\2 = 0.24

And did you use P=Fv for the power one?
allenpc
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Benkxnnedy)
Yes I would say basically the same as last year.

For the current through lamp B did yous just half the current? I got 0.48\2 = 0.24

And did you use P=Fv for the power one?
Got same current and used P = E / t. But either equation should work I hope. Another example of multiple equations being appropriate for working out would be the hockey ball question. You could have found the distance using either W = Fd or I heard someone else used an equation of motion.
Benkxnnedy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I got 3.02 x 10^8 for the average power output in Q1
Same!!
Sharpshooter
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I wrote the names too like you so we got the same answers. Also, I originally put the same current as you for my answer, but then I realised that I got my proportions wrong and that a smaller resistance will have the greater current, so I split up the proportion for current into 0.5 for the 6 Ohm and 0.25 for the other 12 Ohm branches. So 0.5 x 0.48 = 0.24A.
The thing that worries me though on a previous past paper, that question was asked and the marks were only given when the unit was written not the name. But the question on our paper stated the names of the others so I can only conclude that you had to keep it consistent, I would be annoyed if that wasn't the case.

You are probably right regarding the current, I didn't think it through like you did I just randomly wrote something quickly with little time remaining.

Was the LDR for Q10 on the bottom along with Vout? I assumed a darker setting would increase resistance, hence increase Vout triggering a switch if the voltage passed on was above a certain threshold?
Last edited by Sharpshooter; 1 week ago
Na234
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Did you get the distance travelled by the ball on the stick was 0.37m?
Got same current and used P = E / t. But either equation should work I hope. Another example of multiple equations being appropriate for working out would be the hockey ball question. You could have found the distance using either W = Fd or I heard someone else used an equation of motion.
Benkxnnedy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Was acceleration 0.808 or something like that for the lift question?

Few other answers I can now remember:
Vout for potential divider: 5.05
Why people feel heavy on lift? They experience downward resultant force from the reaction force of the lift
How does LDR allow automatic light to happen?
When it gets dark LDR resistance decreases allowing higher Voltage to bulb
allenpc
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The thing that worries me though on a previous past paper, that question was asked and the marks were only given when the unit was written not the name. But the question on our paper stated the names of the others so I can only conclude that you had to keep it consistent, I would be annoyed if that wasn't the case.

You are probably right regarding the current, I didn't think it through like you did I just randomly wrote something quickly with little time remaining.

Was the LDR for Q10 on the bottom along with Vout? I assumed a darker setting would increase resistance, hence increase Vout triggering a switch if the voltage passed on was above a certain threshold?
Yes that is the same positioning and explanation that I had for the LDR question. As for question 1 about the units, I am a bit worried about that. But if enough people make the same 'mistake' then I think that the examiners will give the marks anyway. There's a fine line between question ambiguity and just simply misreading the question though.
Sharpshooter
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I got 0.818 ms^-2 for the lift.
allenpc
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Na234)
Did you get the distance travelled by the ball on the stick was 0.37m?
Yes I did
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (384)
25.98%
The paper was reasonable (639)
43.23%
Not feeling great about that exam (293)
19.82%
It was TERRIBLE (162)
10.96%

Watched Threads