FXK19
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So whats your favourite sonic game within the franchise?
Mine personally might actually be sonic adventure 1
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FXK19)
The very first game, Sonic the Hedgehog and the successor, Sonic the Hedgehog 2. The old school games were at the peak, the rest is almost trash.
noggins
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FXK19)
Might be showing my age, but i always liked the original MegaDrive/MasterSystem style games the most for their level design. 3D Sonics can be awkward to navigate through. My top five is as follows: Sonic 2, Sonic 1, Sonic Mania, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Racing Transformed.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by noggins)
Might be showing my age, but i always liked the original MegaDrive/MasterSystem style games the most for their level design. 3D Sonics can be awkward to navigate through. My top five is as follows: Sonic 2, Sonic 1, Sonic Mania, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Racing Transformed.
The level design is really nice, and the game play is so good, although or precisely because of the simplicity. Sega has shown that a simple concept has the potential to be successful.
Kraggor
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by FXK19)
Unfortunately sonic was something I never really played back in the day because I was a Sony child.

But, one game I was addicted too for quite a while and came back too was Sonic Heroes on the PS2. From what I remember the soundtrack and cutscenes were pretty awesome
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Kraggor)
Unfortunately sonic was something I never really played back in the day because I was a Sony child.

But, one game I was addicted too for quite a while and came back too was Sonic Heroes on the PS2. From what I remember the soundtrack and cutscenes were pretty awesome
Sonice Heroes - is it this game in which the player has the choice to select three or even five different threesome teams to play through?
Kraggor
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
Sonice Heroes - is it this game in which the player has the choice to select three or even five different threesome teams to play through?
Yeah that's the one! I had to think for a second xD
I remember now I use to love the team with the pink chameleon dude who went invisible and I think their team had a crocodile haha

So long ago but definitely loved it back then
Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
The very first game, Sonic the Hedgehog and the successor, Sonic the Hedgehog 2. The old school games were at the peak, the rest is almost trash.
Apart from mania agree with this beyond that 3D mega drive one, there were a few alright ones after but the rest snnnnfff yeah. Bit depressing when a fan makes the best sonic game in over a decade.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Yeah that's the one! I had to think for a second xD
I remember now I use to love the team with the pink chameleon dude who went invisible and I think their team had a crocodile haha

So long ago but definitely loved it back then
I thought that I was right. The game was so well known to me.

(Original post by Vikingninja)
Apart from mania agree with this beyond that 3D mega drive one, there were a few alright ones after but the rest snnnnfff yeah. Bit depressing when a fan makes the best sonic game in over a decade.
The main problem is that the Sonice developers tried to reinvent the wheel, although everyone was fine. Examples:

Sonic Unleashed - why in the hell they added a new element in a Sonic game and realized it so bad then? turn into a wherewolf is just crap

Sonic The Hedgehog 2006 - Time travelling is strange enough for a sonic game, but protecting a princess even more, that is Super Mario's job!

Sonic the Black Knight - Sonic fighting with a sword. No words for it. It is Sonic, not Zelda!
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Sonic Adventure DX > Sonic Adventure 2 Battle > Sonic Unleashed > Sonic Generations

liked sonic forces but not sure where to put it.

not a fan of the old sonic games or 2D platformers in general. Don't like it when it's forced into 3D sonic games.

sonic unleashed was a worthy successor to sa2b, unpopular opinion.
Vikingninja
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I thought that I was right. The game was so well known to me.

The main problem is that the Sonice developers tried to reinvent the wheel, although everyone was fine. Examples:

Sonic Unleashed - why in the hell they added a new element in a Sonic game and realized it so bad then? turn into a wherewolf is just crap

Sonic The Hedgehog 2006 - Time travelling is strange enough for a sonic game, but protecting a princess even more, that is Super Mario's job!

Sonic the Black Knight - Sonic fighting with a sword. No words for it. It is Sonic, not Zelda!
My problem with them reinventing each game was they ignored what made it good in the past, God of War is a great example of a game reinvented as it still maintained a large portion of what made the series great. As well now they really went to far with how fast he is in 3D to the point that when it does happen there is minimal playability or control, previous games were more platform focused and you could go ridiculously fast at certain points but still maintained your control in 3, the platforming as well didn't translate well into 3D making it awkwardly slow.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Vikingninja)
My problem with them reinventing each game was they ignored what made it good in the past, God of War is a great example of a game reinvented as it still maintained a large portion of what made the series great. As well now they really went to far with how fast he is in 3D to the point that when it does happen there is minimal playability or control, previous games were more platform focused and you could go ridiculously fast at certain points but still maintained your control in 3, the platforming as well didn't translate well into 3D making it awkwardly slow.
That is the point! it is the death blow for video game characters and the connected series. And as the Sonic games ignored this fact, the blue hedgehog lives from the past and can't keep pace in presence.
Ray_Shadows
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Sonic DX adventure was the first game i ever played on the computer , still love that to this day
KJEKJE Says Hi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Got to give it to Unleashed. Absolutely loved the cutscenes, the storyline, the stages. It was just a really fun game for me.

It felt like a really polished game. The day stages captured Sonic's speed very well in a 3D environment, and (unpopular opinion) I really liked performing combos and breaking down everything in sight on the night stages.

I'd give SA2B a very close second, but I feel that's a mix of nostalgia, the awesome soundtrack, and the countless hours spent on raising Chao.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by KJEKJE Says Hi)
Got to give it to Unleashed. Absolutely loved the cutscenes, the storyline, the stages. It was just a really fun game for me.

It felt like a really polished game. The day stages captured Sonic's speed very well in a 3D environment, and (unpopular opinion) I really liked performing combos and breaking down everything in sight on the night stages.

I'd give SA2B a very close second, but I feel that's a mix of nostalgia, the awesome soundtrack, and the countless hours spent on raising Chao.
completely agree, can't find many other people that agree with me on unleashed!
Prussianxo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago

bruh sonic heroes was the actual one!! need to play it again
Switch01
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Sonic Unleashed was amazing, the werehog was a horrible idea but if you look at other sonic games, they all had gameplay styles i didnt like, SA2 had the treasure hunting and Mech stages, Generations had classic sonic (which was fun but id rather just have modern sonic stages), and i dont really want to talk about forces xD
GadzooksGavin
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by FXK19)
I think sega started to run the series down to the ground after sonic 06 however after unleashed despite the werehog stages, sonic colours and generations they redeemed themselves. However they returned to square 1 with lost world, tossed them selves into the bin with sonic boom and I dont really know what to say about forces
Vikingninja
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
That is the point! it is the death blow for video game characters and the connected series. And as the Sonic games ignored this fact, the blue hedgehog lives from the past and can't keep pace in presence.
To be quite frank Sonic really is dead outside its fandom. It does not translate well into 3D because you either have clunky platforming which does not fit his aesthetic or near uncontrollable high speed and really 2D would just remain niche as much as how well Mania did.

(Original post by GadzooksGavin)
I think sega started to run the series down to the ground after sonic 06 however after unleashed despite the werehog stages, sonic colours and generations they redeemed themselves. However they returned to square 1 with lost world, tossed them selves into the bin with sonic boom and I dont really know what to say about forces
Forces was straight up targeted towards the fandom.
username2861570
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Probably the first one as it holds the most nostalgia.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (242)
33.66%
No (477)
66.34%

Watched Threads