Nat 4/5 Maths Issue Watch

Robbie7774
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Due to my prior schooling being fairly poor, combined with the fact that I didn't care, I'm Nat 4 Maths in S4. I'm studying National 5, but I won't be sitting the exam this year. I will have finished the Nat 5 course at around Christmas Time this year.

Since moving, I've gotten very academic and I now try my absolute hardest in my classes, often getting A's in all my subjects. I don't find the work in that class hard at all, I often finish very quickly and get everything right with the occasional slip-up. I'm worried this Math situation could hold me back in terms of University, so my question is if anyone knows of some sort of external arrangement so I could get the Nat 5 course done before the exam so I would be able to sit Nat 5 this year?
Aaron_0610
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello,

I'm slightly confused due to the way you worded it but I think I got the underlying meaning. So, I don't understand why you wouldn't be allowed to sit the entire Nat 5 Maths Course in a year, starting June this year and sitting the exam next may. If I've misunderstood please correct me.

A few questions.

Have you completed Nat 4 already?
Are you currently in a Nat 5 class?
Have you made your choices for next year?
What year are you currently in?
Robbie7774
Rep:
?
I have completed Nat 4, I'm in a Nat 5 class, but we aren't sitting the exam this year, I've chosen Nat 5 Maths, Higher Chemistry, Higher Biology, Higher English and Higher Modern Studies and I'm in S4. Having chose Maths next year, I would go through with sitting the exam.

The issue is that I'm sitting everything but Maths this year, so I'm worried about it damaging my University chances having gotten Nat 5 and Higher Maths (I plan to Higher Maths in S6) later compared to other candidates.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Aaron_0610
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well, if you aren't going to sit higher until S6, just do Nat 5 next year then, it won't hurt.

Example: I want to do Mathematics at University (didn't get an offer this year but I am applying next year after doing some Open Uni Modules), I got an A in Nat 5 maths but a D in Higher, so I'm on track for an A at Higher this year after resitting, it won't hurt your uni application unless you are applying for maths, if you are applying for a maths uni course they expect an A on applying, doesn't matter when you get it.
Robbie7774
Rep:
?
It would still be more convenient to do it this year is the thing, but thanks for your help. I hope to do Biology in University, so the Advanced Highers I'd be taking would be Biology and Chemistry in S6, on top of Higher Maths. If there is a way to do it this year though, I would love to do it, but if it isn't going to damage anything in the long run, I suppose it isn't the end of the world.
Aaron_0610
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Robbie7774)
It would still be more convenient to do it this year is the thing, but thanks for your help. I hope to do Biology in University, so the Advanced Highers I'd be taking would be Biology and Chemistry in S6, on top of Higher Maths. If there is a way to do it this year though, I would love to do it, but if it isn't going to damage anything in the long run, I suppose it isn't the end of the world.
You probably can't if you haven't completed the entire course, I know National 5 Maths isn't the hardest thing in the world, but the content you'd not have been taught is too high to justify sitting the exam this year.

Just stick in, do it next year then get your Higher Mathematics in S6.
Labrador99
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Robbie7774)
Due to my prior schooling being fairly poor, combined with the fact that I didn't care, I'm Nat 4 Maths in S4. I'm studying National 5, but I won't be sitting the exam this year. I will have finished the Nat 5 course at around Christmas Time this year.

Since moving, I've gotten very academic and I now try my absolute hardest in my classes, often getting A's in all my subjects. I don't find the work in that class hard at all, I often finish very quickly and get everything right with the occasional slip-up. I'm worried this Math situation could hold me back in terms of University, so my question is if anyone knows of some sort of external arrangement so I could get the Nat 5 course done before the exam so I would be able to sit Nat 5 this year?
I'm almost certain that centres wouldn't take you as an external candidate at this stage, as there is a deadline (which might have already passed) and even if there isn't, they'll unlikely go out of their way or want to risk their results looking worse.

To do 4 highers in S5 alongside Nat 5 maths definitely isn't a problem for studying biology at a Scottish university- many of the courses have requirements of 4 highers, and if they do need 5, you'll get a conditional offer which you'll be able to work towards meeting in S6. It really won't put you at a disadvantage.
Robbie7774
Rep:
?
Thanks, really reassured me. I'll just do the Higher in S6 then.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (376)
37.49%
No - but I will (76)
7.58%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (480)
47.86%

Watched Threads