The Student Room Group

Pulling my first 'Sickie' advice?!?!

I have been at my retail job for 5 months now and there are still 3 things that bug me every time, 11-12 hr gaps in between shifts, 6 AM starts and 10 hour shifts, I know this all comes as part of a shift job but out of the 15 or so full time workers at my work, I am 1 of 2 people who get regular 7 PM finishes followed by 6 AM starts, then followed by a 10 hour shift doing car park, I have spoke to many people about the fact that it makes me ill and I can't do it all the time because it literally ruins my whole week.

Anyways today I am in 1-9, tomorrow 9-6 and then Monday 6-2, that literally means I am going to have no free time after I finish work today and tomorrow, my whole weekend ruined, as a full time worker I don't feel like it's right I am put on these shifts, at my last job, it was usually the part timers who were put on the bad shifts, anyways every time I have a 6AM start I turn up half dead, feeling so sick and it happens every time, but this time I really can't be bothered for it and am tempted to pull a 'Sickie' for my Monday shift, I have not had one day off since I started and I don't have a problem with getting up for a 6 start as I can go to sleep at around 9 the night before, but it's just I spend the first 3 hours of the shift with a very bad headache and half asleep, do you think I should bring this up when I call up? I am thinking that I will probably call up, say that I have a really bad migraine and have a cold, but should I also say something about the fact the 6 AM starts are getting too much?

Sorry it's such a long thread and I know I put more effort explaining the situation then I actually needed to, believe me even thinking about puling a sickie makes me feel guilty, but my next few shifts will ruin me for the whole week and nobody seems to be listening to me when I tell them that I can't do a 6AM start, I would much rather do an 8-5 then 6-2.

Scroll to see replies

No idea what to advice you.
In my primary country in such situation the doctor usually easily gives 'sickie' the employer has nothing to say about it then, and if there is a problem about it, we just change job to be treated like humans.
If they are going to be your regular shifts, and you can't cope with starting that early then I think you need to look for another, more suitable job.
Reply 3
Original post by markova21
If they are going to be your regular shifts, and you can't cope with starting that early then I think you need to look for another, more suitable job.

Fair enough, if I was on regular 6 AM starts I would get used to it, but yeah I have intentions of asking for a fixed rota and if that dont work I will probably go to 30 hrs
Reply 4
Shift work is tough. But its separate options, trying to discuss that your working pattern is bad for your health and 'pulling a sickie'. Don't blend the two as this could lead to trouble. I am not a big fan of pulling sickies as it lets colleague down, in some ways is cheating your employer and encourages them to put in place repressive policies to counter it. This said I guess if you do it infrequently you will get away with it. I would try to talk to your manager about the issues and see if anything can be accommodated - cant guarantee there will be any sympathy. Its not easy being a manager either. And join a Trade Union an see if there is a representative who could give you a bit of support. You could also consider other job option which give you a better quality of life.
Original post by Zarek
Shift work is tough. But its separate options, trying to discuss that your working pattern is bad for your health and 'pulling a sickie'. Don't blend the two as this could lead to trouble. I am not a big fan of pulling sickies as it lets colleague down, in some ways is cheating your employer and encourages them to put in place repressive policies to counter it. This said I guess if you do it infrequently you will get away with it. I would try to talk to your manager about the issues and see if anything can be accommodated - cant guarantee there will be any sympathy. Its not easy being a manager either. And join a Trade Union an see if there is a representative who could give you a bit of support. You could also consider other job option which give you a better quality of life.

Thats what i was thinking.
Definitely don't pull a sickie; others who struggle just as much with the hours will only have to pick up your slack - it's not fair on them. Work the shifts that you are meant to whilst also addressing the issue with a manager / looking for a job with hours that suit better. I start at 0300 or 0400 and do know it can be a bit disruptive!!
Original post by cbaforcba
I have been at my retail job for 5 months now and there are still 3 things that bug me every time, 11-12 hr gaps in between shifts, 6 AM starts and 10 hour shifts, I know this all comes as part of a shift job but out of the 15 or so full time workers at my work, I am 1 of 2 people who get regular 7 PM finishes followed by 6 AM starts, then followed by a 10 hour shift doing car park, I have spoke to many people about the fact that it makes me ill and I can't do it all the time because it literally ruins my whole week.

Anyways today I am in 1-9, tomorrow 9-6 and then Monday 6-2, that literally means I am going to have no free time after I finish work today and tomorrow, my whole weekend ruined, as a full time worker I don't feel like it's right I am put on these shifts, at my last job, it was usually the part timers who were put on the bad shifts, anyways every time I have a 6AM start I turn up half dead, feeling so sick and it happens every time, but this time I really can't be bothered for it and am tempted to pull a 'Sickie' for my Monday shift, I have not had one day off since I started and I don't have a problem with getting up for a 6 start as I can go to sleep at around 9 the night before, but it's just I spend the first 3 hours of the shift with a very bad headache and half asleep, do you think I should bring this up when I call up? I am thinking that I will probably call up, say that I have a really bad migraine and have a cold, but should I also say something about the fact the 6 AM starts are getting too much?

Sorry it's such a long thread and I know I put more effort explaining the situation then I actually needed to, believe me even thinking about puling a sickie makes me feel guilty, but my next few shifts will ruin me for the whole week and nobody seems to be listening to me when I tell them that I can't do a 6AM start, I would much rather do an 8-5 then 6-2.

And this folks is what happens if you don't work hard at school. I admire you for sticking with the job and actually working though.
Reply 8

You need to quit tbh or drop some hours tbh

Jobs that take over your life and make you feel ill etc are just not worth the few extra coins in your pocket
I call the phenomenon you are describing as yo-yo shifts. I believe yo-yo shifts are particularly bad for the health (experience from being a trade union rep in retail and seeing health effects on members).

There's been a lot of research about the possible health impacts of shift work https://www.nhs.uk/news/lifestyle-and-exercise/shift-workers-more-likely-to-report-poor-health/ , here's a recent big one.

My questions would be the structure of your department. So presumably you are on a flexi-contract? If you aren't then why are you doing it? Is everyone else on your department on the same contract? Is there a daft reason why you are on these shifts e.g. 'fairness' between colleagues on labour matching? You've already commented on this a bit so it doesn't add up. Is it some dumbass business reason like you are seen as able to do something at 6am like opening up or flighting and someone else hasn't been trained?

Or do they just see you as a 'soft touch' and it'd all kick off if hypothetical worker Bob who has been there for 15 years doesn't fancy a change and doesn't want to learn anything new? I have my suspicions. Managers frequently take the path of least resistance, so it means doing the choice that has the least problems, even if it might be bad for the business or not make that much sense.

If you value your health more than the money (not a situation everyone can do), then I would not do a sickie, but seriously consider handing in a request for flexible working that specifically states going down to four days and 30 hours.

You are also allowed to opt out of Sundays.
Reply 10
Original post by Zarek

Great, just had a whole response written out and it was deleted, anyways thanks for this, whether you believe me or not I do actually feel guilty even thinking about pulling a sickie and I do enjoy what I do, just can't cope with the constant changing, I haven't necessarily requested a fixed rota, but I have spoke to manager previously about the harsh hours and they don't seem to care but when I speak to other colleagues, they always agree that the shifts I am put on are harsh compared to what they get and this comes from senior workers aswell as young.

Anyways I have been at my job for 5 months and have not been off once yet which I feel like for shift work is pretty good, at my work we get 3 paid sick days each year, I do get ill from time to time, but never to the point where I am unable to come in and plus we get no reward or little bonus at the end of the year for remaining sick days which makes me feel like I should use them if they're there, once again, I do feel bad even thinking about it as I know other people get on with it, no chance I will change my job, the main reason for this specific sickie is that because I have 12 hr gaps in between my shift today, tomorrow and Monday, I am not going to get to have any free time on a weekend, but I guess I will just see how I feel about it tomorrow.
Reply 11
Original post by squeakysquirrel
And this folks is what happens if you don't work hard at school. I admire you for sticking with the job and actually working though.

Abit harsh, don't know many 19 year old that are full time workers personally, but I am sure you know loads...

Didn't do amazing in School, but got 5 GCSEs, finished college in the summer completing my ICT BTEC Level 3 (Once again not amazingly impressive, but still good), you're too quick to judge, it is quite hard to get straight into ICT with no experience you know?
Reply 12
Original post by ANM775
You need to quit tbh or drop some hours tbh

Jobs that take over your life and make you feel ill etc are just not worth the few extra coins in your pocket

Yep, I have thought about doing both many times, will probably give it a few weeks and then finally make my decision, I know it all comes as part of the shift work parcel, not going out and all, but I feel like alot of people that work shift work and have no problem with it also have no social life.
Reply 13
Original post by marinade
I call the phenomenon you are describing as yo-yo shifts. I believe yo-yo shifts are particularly bad for the health (experience from being a trade union rep in retail and seeing health effects on members).

There's been a lot of research about the possible health impacts of shift work https://www.nhs.uk/news/lifestyle-and-exercise/shift-workers-more-likely-to-report-poor-health/ , here's a recent big one.

My questions would be the structure of your department. So presumably you are on a flexi-contract? If you aren't then why are you doing it? Is everyone else on your department on the same contract? Is there a daft reason why you are on these shifts e.g. 'fairness' between colleagues on labour matching? You've already commented on this a bit so it doesn't add up. Is it some dumbass business reason like you are seen as able to do something at 6am like opening up or flighting and someone else hasn't been trained?

Or do they just see you as a 'soft touch' and it'd all kick off if hypothetical worker Bob who has been there for 15 years doesn't fancy a change and doesn't want to learn anything new? I have my suspicions. Managers frequently take the path of least resistance, so it means doing the choice that has the least problems, even if it might be bad for the business or not make that much sense.

If you value your health more than the money (not a situation everyone can do), then I would not do a sickie, but seriously consider handing in a request for flexible working that specifically states going down to four days and 30 hours.

You are also allowed to opt out of Sundays.

I will try to respond to each point you made but yeah:

1) My dad has worked on the underground for 11 years, retiring next month, but he is really not happy about me working shift work as from his 11 years on shift work, he has had times where he has been ill for up to a month, I tried an office job, but that was a catastrophe from the start (Long story) so just decided to go into shift work, I was not too happy about it, but it was money and John Lewis is a good company.

2) I am on a flexi contract, like many workers, but honest as I said, most of these flexi workers aren't on the same shift each week, but they do very similar shifts, I just seem to be given whatever they feel like giving me, I know alot of workers have refused to start before 8 AM, like up untill recently at John Lewis they paid time and a half on sundays, I know some people who joined after then refused to work on Sundays for the specific reason, I think I just need to speak up abit more and ask why it seems to be me getting the worst shifts, but yeah, as you suggested I feel like it's because although I struggle, I just get on with whatever task I am given.

3) I personally value my health more then money, I know people aren't as fortunate as me, but I am 19, live at home with my dad and don't pay rent, so to be working full time at my age I like to think I am doing pretty well, with that being said unlike alot of people my age, I pay my way for alot of things, but I will definitely look into going down to 30 hrs, somebody who I work with recently did the same and he said he felt so much better, also I opted to work out of sunday last month, but for some reason it takes 3 months for it to kick in
(edited 5 years ago)
11 -12 hour breaks between shifts is incredibly normal, as are 6 am starts and 9 pm finishes. Your shift pattern sound s very normal to me. I hate to sound harsh but you're coming across as whiny and work shy. I have worked in retail for more than 10 years and have never pulled a 'sickie' for any reason other than actually being sick. If you get a reputation for pulling sickies or complaining about shifts, your managers will not look well upon you when/ if you need a favour. In my job i have set hours but these are liable to change and i haven't done my 'normal' shift in weeks cos the bosses have decided they need me in at a different time. I do as I'm told so on the occasion if I want to switch a day or do a slightly different shift they usually will allow it.
(edited 5 years ago)
2) I am on a flexi contract, like many workers, but honest as I said, most of these flexi workers aren't exactly on the same shift each week, but they do very similar shifts, I just seem to be given whatever they feel like giving me, I know alot of workers have refused to start before 8 AM, like up untill recently at John Lewis they paid time and a half on sundays, I know some people who joined after then refused to work on Sundays for the specific reason, I think I just need to speak up abit more and ask why it seems to be me getting the worst shifts, but yeah, as you suggested I feel like it's because although I struggle, I just get on with whatever task I am given.

3) I personally value my health more then money, I know people aren't as fortunate as me, but I am 19, live at home with my dad and don't pay rent, so to be working full time at my age I like to think I am doing pretty well, with that being said unlike alot of people my age, I pay my way for alot of things, but I will definitely look into going down to 30 hrs, somebody who I work with recently did the same and he said he felt so much better, also I opted to work out of sunday last month, but for some reason it takes 3 months for it to kick in

2) This screams path of least resistance from the manager.

3) Do it. The only downside is this, in retail now, it is incredibly rare, incredibly rare to get full time jobs. Once you go down, you won't go back up again hours wise. However by the time you may want more hours, you may have moved onto something better.

I've been there, so I opted out of Sundays in retail and felt so much better for it. I got out of yo-yos, then I got out of early birds. Then I negotiated my way out of weekends. Then I left entirely.

Seen so many people of a variety of ages procrastinate on dropping hours. Given so much advice on dropping hours, not met anyone that regretted it, partly because when people are asking I think they have already thought of it loads.

It does take takes 3 months to kick in to opt out, although if you weren't informed of your rights, that's not the whole story... :wink:

Local conditions can be funny. At the supermarket I used to work at the larks on checkouts used to have very bitter fights about who was given the 6am-2pm shifts. There's sometimes an element of good/bad luck.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by hippieglitter
11 -12 hour shifts is incredibly normal, as are 6 am starts and 9 pm finishes. Your shift pattern sounds very normal to me. I hate to sound harsh but you're coming across as whiny and work shy. I have worked in retail for more than 10 years and have never pulled a 'sickie' for any reason other than actually being sick. If you get a reputation for pulling sickies or complaining about shifts, your managers will not look well upon you when/ if you need a favour. In my job i have set hours but these are liable to change and i haven't done my 'normal' shift in weeks cos the bosses have decided they need me in at a different time. I do as I'm told so on the occasion if I want to switch a day or do a slightly different shift they usually will allow it.

Yeah I wont deny it, I am a bit of a whiner, I probably didn't word it the best, but as I said in another reply, I'm just more thinking about pulling the Sickie so I can actually have fun this weekend rather then having work constantly on my mind, I dont mind 9PM finishes at all and as I said, 6 AM starts are a struggle, but I usually just get on with them, I got back from work today at about 10 and am in bed ready for tomorrow, same thing will happen tomorrow, I will be home by 7 and in bed by 9, I know people do these shifts regularly and that's good for them, but coming from somebody who is the only one at his work place to get these silly hours I think its unfair.
Reply 17
Original post by marinade
2) This screams path of least resistance from the manager.

3) Do it. The only downside is this, in retail now, it is incredibly rare, incredibly rare to get full time jobs. Once you go down, you won't go back up again hours wise. However by the time you may want more hours, you may have moved onto something better.

I've been there, so I opted out of Sundays in retail and felt so much better for it. I got out of yo-yos, then I got out of early birds. Then I negotiated my way out of weekends. Then I left entirely.

Seen so many people of a variety of ages procrastinate on dropping hours. Given so much advice on dropping hours, not met anyone that regretted it, partly because when people are asking I think they have already thought of it loads.

It does take takes 3 months to kick in to opt out, although if you weren't informed of your rights, that's not the whole story... :wink:

Local conditions can be funny. At the supermarket I used to work at the larks on checkouts used to have very bitter fights about who was given the 6am-2pm shifts. There's sometimes an element of good/bad luck.

I am just gonna go on until I really need to change, I think after all the moaning and whatever I will be fine, but I will bring it up to one of the managers, not happily, but I'd be contempt with doing an average of 6-2 every day with an odd 7-3, just something that I can get used to, something where I can relax when i am home.

Dropping hours would only be a positive for me, although I have said it to friends before, i could not do any less then 30 hours a week cause itd get so boring, I really only plan to stay here for a year, but if I end up dropping hours I will probably stay for longer.
I am just gonna go on until I really need to change, I think after all the moaning and whatever I will be fine, but I will bring it up to one of the managers, not happily, but I'd be contempt with doing an average of 6-2 every day with an odd 7-3, just something that I can get used to, something where I can relax when i am home.

Dropping hours would only be a positive for me, although I have said it to friends before, i could not do any less then 30 hours a week cause itd get so boring, I really only plan to stay here for a year, but if I end up dropping hours I will probably stay for longer.

All right, it's like an episode of the simpsons where things go back to the way they were before. Good luck with it. All of those options are still available to you in future.

I appreciate some of the laudable work ethic from other people, however what they won't tell you is invariably when there's restructuring or a change and a bad manager dressed in sheep's clothing comes along it's these good workers that will get **** on. Not the bad workers.
Reply 19
Original post by hippieglitter
11 -12 hour shifts is incredibly normal, as are 6 am starts and 9 pm finishes. Your shift pattern sounds very normal to me. I hate to sound harsh but you're coming across as whiny and work shy. I have worked in retail for more than 10 years and have never pulled a 'sickie' for any reason other than actually being sick. If you get a reputation for pulling sickies or complaining about shifts, your managers will not look well upon you when/ if you need a favour. In my job i have set hours but these are liable to change and i haven't done my 'normal' shift in weeks cos the bosses have decided they need me in at a different time. I do as I'm told so on the occasion if I want to switch a day or do a slightly different shift they usually will allow it.

might as well literally not bother coming home and sleep at work if you're doing those hours

you aren't living, you're existing to serve someone

I briefly did 11 hour shifts [not retail] but you would never catch me doing madness like that 5x times a week

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending