IB EE on(or is it in) LAW Watch

Yehetbub
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Good day,

I'm an IB student who is planning to start on working on her EE, extended essay that is in similar layout to a mini-thesis with 4000 word limit.

A lot of post have told me to just do what interest me and doesn't basically need to be associated with what I plan to take in university, so for all you could do is a Shakespeare EE and still get to pass for engineering in university.

But, I'm the type that makes myself suffer and later on question on "WHo did I think I was?", So I want to make my EE somehow associated with my course, law.

I found a very nice topic, it's new and not a lot of people are aware of it. Especially in Asian countries. Its about Deep Fakes. It's an application that allows to copy the facial aspects of a person down to their vocal aspects. Such that many famous celebrities have been used for sexual demands of horny individuals in dark webs. Or even political images have been used to spread what one would say a dark sense of humor, but ultimately, reckless and dangerous provocation on the political parties involved i.e. President Donald Trump, Former President Obama and President Putin. So, as you can see, not only is it controversial but it's very recent.

I liked this topic because it really interests me, and well, bothers---greatly---me. Not only that I can link it to law and politics.

I'm not used to EEs or IB itself, that's why I'm sort of blank when it comes to how to layout and what should be mention and what not in the essay. I have done investigative researches before and practice thesis. However those were purely...numbers? I was wondering whether I could use this layout for my EE:

I plan on conducting research of its origin, the "aim" introduced by the makers. The market it was published to, and conditions, actions taken against or in favor of the application. User's aims and view points. Victim testimony such as their social images, mental and emotional effect. I'd like to get professional thoughts of the issue itself in terms of psychological effects on the victims, professionals in fields of politics foreign affairs and society to talk more about the broader aspect of the law. (not only the identity crisis)

And making an experiment ( with the permission of the participant of course) and their thoughts of the results.

I need opinion on whether this is a good EE and if the layout or plan is good and follows the requirement. And if the topic is acceptable.

P.S.
our school would prefer topics on the subjects they offer. And sadly, there isn't a law specialized or even related person in the school that could supervise if this is acceptable. So, I may have to find an outside supervisor who specializes on contemporary issues and laws, if again, this topic is acceptable.

Also please forgive my wrong grammar and spelling errors.

I look forward for your replies.
Aspenfire
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can do subjects that aren't law but still relate to it! E.g. science subjects & environmental law. Economics and e.g. inheritance law. History and what laws were broken/why they were enforced.
Yehetbub
Rep:
?
Thanks for your response. Does this mean the topic is okay?
mariaanne
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There is an option to do an EE in "World Studies" which means that you pick two subjects instead of just one. I did biology & economics. Law is not offered as in IB course and it is specified in the EE guide that your essay cannot be in "law" (in terms of the subject picked). However, as was said before, you can choose IB subjects that let you write about your topic; global politics perhaps? psychology? philosophy?

It's great that you already have a specific idea, this is very important for a World Studies essay. I would suggest trying to find a supervisor who teaches either one of your subjects or, if that is not possible, someone who has experience with EEs. The grading criteria are quite specific so it's good to have another set of eyes!

Do look at the grading criteria and read through EEs in your subject(s) of choice. Here's a website with 50: https://www.easthartford.org/page.cfm?p=10855

I hope this helps!
Yehetbub
Rep:
?
Yes, thank you so much. Your response really helped. I'll have further discussion with our EE advisor and see about finding an EE supervisor outside of my school.

Thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (508)
26.44%
The paper was reasonable (834)
43.41%
Not feeling great about that exam (376)
19.57%
It was TERRIBLE (203)
10.57%

Watched Threads