How Labour can get a majority Watch

quirky editor
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
With new parties forming split vote, people becoming disillusioned with polticians if Labour backs proportional representation I strongly think it can get a majority.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by quirky editor)
With new parties forming split vote, people becoming disillusioned with polticians if Labour backs proportional representation I strongly think it can get a majority.
i doubt it, not whilst Corbyn is at the helm. Proportional representation probably wouldn't change the constituency electorate that much, there are only 3 ex-tory MP's in the 'independent group' (and 7 ex-labour), plus in labour northern areas that voted leave, UKIP would became a threat to labour with proportional representation.
Last edited by mnot; 6 months ago
quirky editor
Rep:
?
I mean in the manifesto. Obviously after implementing it they would need to enter a coalition.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I mean in the manifesto. Obviously after implementing it they would need to enter a coalition.
i still don't think they would get 325 seats (in coalition),if there was another election proportional representation or first past the post i think the Tories would have a bigger majority. Labour would strengthen in London & Scotland, the tories would strengthen everywhere else given the way politics is going...
quirky editor
Rep:
?
If Labour has PR as a policy they can get a majority under FPTP.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If Labour has PR as a policy they can get a majority under FPTP.
i still cant see them getting a majority, Corbyn is alienating his base, most of his voters now are London based and/or under 30's. That one policy won't change the view of people and relative to the fact people hate:
-He petitioned to free IRA terrorists
-Relationship with hamas
-sexism in house of commons
-Recruiting neo-nazis to the labour party
-Party riddled with antisemitism
-his lack of respect for armed forces (and fallen heros)
-large numbers of labour constituencies voted leave, and he is turning his back on brexit

I think electoral reform sounds good but it is a very low priority relative to this...
quirky editor
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
-He petitioned to free IRA terrorists
-Relationship with hamas
-sexism in house of commons
-Recruiting neo-nazis to the labour party
-Party riddled with antisemitism
-his lack of respect for armed forces (and fallen heros)
-large numbers of labour constituencies voted leave, and he is turning his back on brexit

I think he campaigned for better prison conditions.
The US has met with the Taliban. There is no relationship with Hamas that goes any further than this. I don't think he specifically recruited neo nazis. Not wanting to risk soldier lives in needless wars just to justify their salary is not needed. As for Brexit he is being deliberately vague before a geberal election. Most Labour voters voted remain
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I think he campaigned for better prison conditions.
The US has met with the Taliban. There is no relationship with Hamas that goes any further than this. I don't think he specifically recruited neo nazis. Not wanting to risk soldier lives in needless wars just to justify their salary is not needed. As for Brexit he is being deliberately vague before a geberal election. Most Labour voters voted remain
I get that the depth of how close Corbyn & hamas are is debated and the Left's position is it was to help a negotiation.
He didn't recruit neo-nazis, but other Labour members did on Neo-nazi chat rooms, and it was tolerated. Whilst many agree with him that Iraq/Afghan was an Oil war and not necessary, he has a history of disrespect towards the forces (including at remembrance sunday), Yes many labour constituencies voted remain, but there are also a large number of leave constituencies and those people have different priorities.
You might disagree (or think these are non-issues) with the points i made, but it doesn't mean all voters do and it's a serious list of concerns many voters have (and are probably seen as more important than electoral reform).

Corbyn is widely seen as unelectable, May is seen as incompetent but it's the better of 2 evils debate...
quirky editor
Rep:
?
Corbyn was approximately 10 seats away from being in government. Less than 2 percent swing would have done it. Trump was seen as unelectable. It didn't stop him. Corbyn is divisive, yes but so would Boris Johnson be (almost confirmed to be the next permanent leader). "Corbyn is bad" doesn't solve uncosted manifestos etc. You can't reply with "what about Corbyn" every time. The voters will eventually wake up. Polls suggest corbyn doing moderately well. The make or break challenge is Brexit. Corbyn must sell a "people's vote" but to brexiteers rather tha remainers in my opinion. This should be done by keeping a remain option out of the spotlight but still on the ballot for hardcore remainers.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Corbyn was approximately 10 seats away from being in government. Less than 2 percent swing would have done it. Trump was seen as unelectable. It didn't stop him. Corbyn is divisive, yes but so would Boris Johnson be (almost confirmed to be the next permanent leader). "Corbyn is bad" doesn't solve uncosted manifestos etc. You can't reply with "what about Corbyn" every time. The voters will eventually wake up. Polls suggest corbyn doing moderately well. The make or break challenge is Brexit. Corbyn must sell a "people's vote" but to brexiteers rather tha remainers in my opinion. This should be done by keeping a remain option out of the spotlight but still on the ballot for hardcore remainers.
you clearly are set in your mind that Corbyn would win if there was an election today (and proportional representation would see it off), clearly i disagree, and i think labour could lose more ground...

dont think this debate is going to lead anywhere
quirky editor
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
you clearly are set in your mind that Corbyn would win if there was an election today (and proportional representation would see it off), clearly i disagree, and i think labour could lose more ground...

dont think this debate is going to lead anywhere
Labour could lose more ground campaigning for proportional representation?
quirky editor
Rep:
?
https://www.makevotesmatter.org.uk/n...representation

Evidence people back PR
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
https://www.makevotesmatter.org.uk/n...representation

Evidence people back PR
Im not against proportional representation, and im not disagreeing with that statement, i just dont think it will mean labour win a majority as you initially described.

I would be in favour of an investigation into electoral reform, but i dont think its a 'hot button' issue, the topic has been lingering for years, the reality is the current system is favoured by both Labour & conservative as it ensures a 2 party system (i know some labour backbenchers have mentioned it, but i don't think either party really wants this to change either)
quirky editor
Rep:
?
When Hard brexiteers realise they have no realistic chance of winning under Farage or UKIP I think people will come around. There seems to be a lot of people thinking the two party sytems eill collapse at the next election. Also centrists such as Chuka suppoters.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
When Hard brexiteers realise they have no realistic chance of winning under Farage or UKIP I think people will come around. There seems to be a lot of people thinking the two party sytems eill collapse at the next election. Also centrists such as Chuka suppoters.
proportional representation would help UKIP (and the far right, and the far left)
quirky editor
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
proportional representation would help UKIP (and the far right, and the far left)
Which is why they'd support it.
Mister Fantastic
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
More postal fraud.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by mnot)
Corbyn is widely seen as unelectable, May is seen as incompetent but it's the better of 2 evils debate...
May would not be permitted to lead the Tories into another election. And any new leader would somehow have to shake off accusations of incompetence and in fighting.

Meanwhile Corbyn doesn't appeal to the mainstream. I voted Labour as a young un but can't stand his politics. I am just waiting for him to accidentally call people comrades. No idea what the alternatives are. I like the cut of the Lib Dems but they are no where to be seen.
ColinDent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
They can't with Corbyn at the helm, he's a self righteous, self serving cnut and the vast majority of the population that's over 30 can see it.
Get rid of him and his Marxist cronies and labour stand a chance, but only if they promise to uphold the result of the referendum.
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
The other side vote is split as well with brexit up in the air.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (55)
67.9%
No I haven't decided yet (17)
20.99%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.11%

Watched Threads