The Student Room Group

Which one? Keele, swansea, aberystwyth or bangor. Final choice

HELLO EVERYONE

I have applied for undergraduate law with a language and have been accepted by the following universities: KEELE, SWANSEA, ABERYSTWYTH AND BANGOR.
Out of these unis which one do you think will give me the best possible future in a career in Law and help me branch out internationally?
My favourite ones so far are Aber and Bangor.
I would love to know your opinion! Even the briefest of information can help my undecided mind come to a decision!

Let me know, thank you for your time!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Keele and Aberystwyth.
Reply 2
Thank you for your answer!

Keele and Aberystwyth.
What are your predicted grades?
The difference between all four are pretty minimal I’d say none of them will give a advantage over another in terms of employment. Although if you prefer Aber and Bangor I’d choose Aber just because I like the area :smile:
Reply 5
I want a career in International Law, which uni do you think has strong international ties? (Excluding AAA-AAB entry unis)

Thank you
Original post by Themig99
I want a career in International Law, which uni do you think has strong international ties? (Excluding AAA-AAB entry unis)

Thank you

If I'm being honest, none of these universities are well known abroad and I go to one of them. However if you're interested in doing an LLM you would be able to get into a university in London such as UCL and King's College. I would invest all your energy into getting work experience to put yourself at an advantage over others as this will give you a chance in International Law.
Reply 7
I have already done my exams I took a gap year! my grades are ABB, I had unconditional offers by all of my choices.
Original post by Notoriety
What are your predicted grades?
I have already done my exams I took a gap year! my grades are ABB, I had unconditional offers by all of my choices.

Do you live in Wales and are you geographically restricted?
Reply 9
Thank you! I do think I have my heart set on Aber!
Original post by Themysticalegg
The difference between all four are pretty minimal I’d say none of them will give a advantage over another in terms of employment. Although if you prefer Aber and Bangor I’d choose Aber just because I like the area :smile:

I think you've set your sights way too low with that one. Plenty of more established unis take in ABB.

@Princepieman what A-Level grades did your compatriots at Swansea have?
Original post by Notoriety
I think you've set your sights way too low with that one. Plenty of more established unis take in ABB.

@Princepieman what A-Level grades did your compatriots at Swansea have?

I can answer this I got BCD and so did most of the cohort. To OP with ABB I agree with Notoriety you can do far better, I love my university and all but surely you stand a chance with universities such as Kent/Reading/Sussex maybe even Sheffield at clearing? Career-wise in such a competitive field any advantage will help.
(edited 5 years ago)
I can answer this I got BCD and so did most of the cohort. To OP with ABB I agree with Notoriety you can do far better, I love my university and all but surely you stand a chance with universities such as Kent/Reading/Sussex maybe even Sheffield at clearing? Career-wise in such a competitive field any advantage will help.

@Notoriety basically the above.. most people had similar grades, I think some were below CCC even.
Original post by Princepieman
@Notoriety basically the above.. most people had similar grades, I think some were below CCC even.

I'm sure the expansion into Bay Campus has killed off the entry requirements for Swansea even more.
HELLO EVERYONE

I have applied for undergraduate law with a language and have been accepted by the following universities: KEELE, SWANSEA, ABERYSTWYTH AND BANGOR.
Out of these unis which one do you think will give me the best possible future in a career in Law and help me branch out internationally?
My favourite ones so far are Aber and Bangor.
I would love to know your opinion! Even the briefest of information can help my undecided mind come to a decision!

Let me know, thank you for your time!

Of the ones you have listed I would suggest Swansea but like everyone else is saying, why didn't you pick more prestigious unis with ABB? If you are interested in a high level career in Law, your first step should be getting into the best uni you can, and you would be an attractive candidate to many unis with those achieved grades. I would make some enquiries with different unis that are still advertising vacancies in UCAS and see who is still recruiting. I note that Cardiff are still advertising vacancies in Law and they are likely to accept ABB - if you have a preference for Welsh Unis, why not give their Admissions a call and see what they have to say about accepting you via Ucas Extra?
Reply 15
Hello everyone!

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions and super helpful advice, it was so thrilling to me waking up and looking through all of your responses.

You are all so right, I should have applied to at least 2 prestigious unis, I went with 5 very safe choices and it was silly of me, I am a living example that no matter what grades you have you should try and apply to one/two place with higher requirement grades.

The reason I did not apply to a more prestigious uni is that I have a D in GSCE maths.
Reply 16
Thank you very much for your suggestion,

I wanted to go to Cardiff uni but they told me they would not accept me without a C in GSCE maths so i did not apply to them.

(Original post by harrysbar)

I note that Cardiff are still advertising vacancies in Law and they are likely to accept ABB - if you have a preference for Welsh Unis, why not give their Admissions a call and see what they have to say about accepting you via Ucas Extra?
There is another way how about do 1 year at any of those universities then transfer to a different one such as Cardiff? As at that point they would focus on the grades attained in your first year? Also would you consider doing GCSE Maths again?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 18
yes, I will do just that. I will try my best at the uni I will go to, get work experience and try to get into a more prestigious uni for my LLM.

Thank you for your helpful advice
If I'm being honest, none of these universities are well known abroad and I go to one of them. However if you're interested in doing an LLM you would be able to get into a university in London such as UCL and King's College. I would invest all your energy into getting work experience to put yourself at an advantage over others as this will give you a chance in International Law.
yes, I will do just that. I will try my best at the uni I will go to, get work experience and try to get into a more prestigious uni for my LLM.

Thank you for your helpful advice

Sounds good, as long as you do well most universities will take you in with a 2,1. From bachelors to masters I have seen some moves from people, moving from universities near the bottom to the top of the league tables. Although my masters is in something I find interesting, during my application they weren't too bothered about where I came from as long I had a good reference, personal statement and over a 2,1.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending