The Student Room Group

Which uni is better for Law?

Hi there,

I’m currently about to go on a gap year and apply for 2020 entry. My first 2 choices will be Glasgow and Edinburgh universities and I was wondering what everyone’s opinions are on which is a better uni for Law.

To give context about what I personally am looking for out of uni and answer any potential questions:

Not so much that in gets in the way of which is practically the best place to study, but I do care about prestige to a certain extent and want to be proud of the uni I go to. I know Glasgow is currently ranked as the 2nd best uni for Law in the UK ahead of Oxford and behind Cambridge, which is incredibly impressive, but also that Edinburgh generally has a more prestigious reputation beyond yearly ratings, and a reputation I believe is something more steadfast whereas ratings on a league table can fluctuate. I’ve seen Edinburgh pop up on many worldwide uni tables and it’s definitely more associated with where ‘Oxbridge rejects’ go such as Durham, St Andrews, and York etc, so it is obviously considered to be ‘up there’ and has that prestigious reputation throughout Britain and indeed the world which I, personally care about, i.e. a few of the Supreme Court justices studied at Edinburgh, and with the others it’s a mix of Oxbridge and Durham.

Moreover, as regards the social aspect, I’ve lived in Glasgow my whole life and it’s a fantastic city. But I want to have the full student experience of living on campus, in a new city (that I love), meeting new people and generally being independent which I could have in Edinburgh.

But obviously my knowledge is limited, biased and clouded by presumptions. So what do you all think?? Be honest!

Thank you!
Original post by ez.s_smrs
Hi there,

I’m currently about to go on a gap year and apply for 2020 entry. My first 2 choices will be Glasgow and Edinburgh universities and I was wondering what everyone’s opinions are on which is a better uni for Law.

To give context about what I personally am looking for out of uni and answer any potential questions:

Not so much that in gets in the way of which is practically the best place to study, but I do care about prestige to a certain extent and want to be proud of the uni I go to. I know Glasgow is currently ranked as the 2nd best uni for Law in the UK ahead of Oxford and behind Cambridge, which is incredibly impressive, but also that Edinburgh generally has a more prestigious reputation beyond yearly ratings, and a reputation I believe is something more steadfast whereas ratings on a league table can fluctuate. I’ve seen Edinburgh pop up on many worldwide uni tables and it’s definitely more associated with where ‘Oxbridge rejects’ go such as Durham, St Andrews, and York etc, so it is obviously considered to be ‘up there’ and has that prestigious reputation throughout Britain and indeed the world which I, personally care about, i.e. a few of the Supreme Court justices studied at Edinburgh, and with the others it’s a mix of Oxbridge and Durham.

Moreover, as regards the social aspect, I’ve lived in Glasgow my whole life and it’s a fantastic city. But I want to have the full student experience of living on campus, in a new city (that I love), meeting new people and generally being independent which I could have in Edinburgh.

But obviously my knowledge is limited, biased and clouded by presumptions. So what do you all think?? Be honest!

Thank you!

Both are excellent universities, and provided you get at least a 2:1, engage with societies, and manage to secure some work experience you should stand a chance of gaining a training contract.

While, you have mentioned that Glasgow is currently ranked second for Law, these rankings should be taken with a pinch of salt and in my opinion isn't something that law firms will factor into their selection process.

e.g. Edinburgh is currently 10th, but do you really think Dundee (sitting 5th) is better than Edinburgh? Glasgow and Edinburgh will be considered "top" universities regardless of their yearly ranking.

Pick, the university you feel most comfortable at and don't worry to much about the differences in reputation; they are mostly equal anyway.
Reply 2
What I was saying though, and I apologise if I didn’t articulate it properly, is that league tables can change and aren’t permanent, whereas reputation and the way an institution is viewed is something more permanent. But the person above you kind of reaffirmed that for me, in that tables don’t really matter all that much and should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Reply 3
Ah, I see. I know they’re both equally very highly regarded law schools throughout the country, it’s just because a lot of my friends at Glasgow joke that the uni is full of ‘Edinburgh rejects’ which, yes, is of course said in jest, but when considered in conjunction with the fact friends I have down south/from countries outside the UK speak of Edinburgh in the same way they do Oxbridge/St Andrews/Durham and even as a first choice backup for the ones who are applying to Harvard/Yale, it paints a picture of it being quite a significantly well thought of uni, in comparison to Glasgow, which none of them mentioned. Of course this is among a group of only 25 or so people - and both unis have a good international student intake- so one can reasonably conclude there isn’t anything concrete you can draw from that (similarly, this is why I used the example of the Supreme Court justices - the idea Edinburgh is associated with prestigious universities and job titles, but understand now that it’s a bad example for many reasons, one being what I just mentioned, that you can’t exactly paint a definite picture from such a small group of individuals so I apologise for that) but still, I personally was struck by, and noted, just how highly Edinburgh was regarded and how little Glasgow was mentioned within this group- most likely because, living in the city, it and Strathclyde are the unis most people at my school are expected to and tend to opt for, so it somewhat came as news to me that people thought of Edinburgh in this manner.

I assume when the initial responder said ‘with a pinch of salt’, they meant to essentially not take tables all that seriously or put as much weight upon them as I evidently was in the original post - indeed, I know there are lots of different tables which say different things and give varying opinions on ‘who is better’ etc, so it does all get a bit noisy and unnecessarily muddled- and it’s not a factor which is paid much attention to by.. anyone really, at least this is how I interpreted what they said. While this turn of phrase may not, in certain people’s opinion, accurately depict the lack of seriousness one should assign to these tables, as someone who is relatively new to the process of UCAS and all that comes with it, it’s helped me understand that it’s not that big of a factor and gave me a bit more discernment as I’m sure I will run into a lot of facts and figures about unis that, at the end of the day, perhaps won’t mean as much further down the line.

So, with all that said, and with the helpful information you and the other replier have provided, it’s reaffirmed my understanding that both are equally regarded excellent universities and particularly, as the initial responder highlighted, it’s more about what you do and achieve as an individual student rather than how the uni is generally viewed. It’s your responsibility to do your best. Moreover, as I highlighted in my original post, even though it’s the issue we’re focused on presently, reputation isn’t all that much of a concern to me. Both universities are great and that’s why I am, at the moment, struggling to pick between the two and so am looking at additional, more secondary factors such as the reputation/social life to help sway the balance. The primary factors, to me personally, are that they of course provide a high quality education in the chosen subject, which they both obviously very much can. Therefore, this post was created with the intention of getting ‘a feel’ for how a wider group of people view the matter and see if I could gather information that may not be readily available elsewhere - peoples own individual experiences etc- to sway my opinion. That said, so far, the responses I’ve got have been similar to yours in that people are of the opinion both are good unis and that it’s much of a muchness which one I pick - it’s up to me to look into areas of uni life or the way the course is taught that may make a difference in my personal overall experience and, furthermore, help me make a final decision. So I’m unfortunately not in a different position than I was when I first made this post, other than I’m affirmed in my assuredness that my choice is, foreseeably, going to be between these two universities. But I am of course very much open to hearing from people who have a preference either way. Anyway it’s not a bad problem to have and I’m sure over the coming year, as I visit the universities more and gain experience, I will manage to somehow make the decision :biggrin:

Thank you!!
(edited 5 years ago)
I'm not an expert and neither are any of the other students here on TSR. Most of us are in the same boat. We're just trying to pick good universities to attend, while hoping that we make the right decisions and looking towards random people on TSR for reassurance, lol. I will say, though, that as a prospective law student too, I associate Edinburgh more with prestige than I do Glasgow. This is based on things that I have read as well as my own personal research. I have no doubt that Glasgow is a good school with a great law department, but usually Edinburgh is highly regarded. If I didn't love the city so much I would have applied there as I certainly had the grades to get it.

Also, if you want to be away from home in order to gain that "true" university experience, it could be a great idea for you to go somewhere that isn't your home town. Make the decision that is best for you, based on what is important to you. If you value prestige, there is nothing wrong with that. I do as well.

Perhaps, you should visit both universities in order to really get a feel of both?
(edited 5 years ago)
It seems as though you may be visually impaired or simply ignorant, as I did explicitly mention that I was no expert and was simply giving my opinion based on the research that I have personally conducted. My "teachers" and "friends" have nothing to do with my opinions. I spent much of my time researching universities as well as career prospects associated with certain universities before applying. I am not a misinformed and ignorant six former, as you are so patronisingly suggesting.

Prestige is subjective, what I define as prestigious will differ from what you define as prestigious as well as what OP defines as prestigious. In addition, most people on TSR are, in actuality, those six formers that you are insulting. Just because you spend your days on this forum, doesn't mean that other adults are as sad, lonely or pathetic. Most adults who actually have lives as well as truly valuable contributions to make towards these discussions, don't spend all day on TSR despite what you tell yourself as you lurk on this forum. LOL.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Babycakes5
I'm not an expert and neither are any of the other students here on TSR. Most of us are in the same boat. We're just trying to pick good universities to attend, while hoping that we make the right decisions and looking towards random people on TSR for reassurance, lol. I will say, though, that as a prospective law student too, I associate Edinburgh more with prestige than I do Glasgow. This is based on things that I have read as well as my own personal research. I have no doubt that Glasgow is a good school with a great law department, but usually Edinburgh is highly regarded. If I didn't love the city so much I would have applied there as I certainly had the grades to get it.

The regulars on the law forum have had their views tested by discussion with other regulars (and recruiters) over 100s of threads. It is not the users who are authoritative or experienced really; it's the "opinions" they offer. For example, appealing to SC justices alma mater has been effectively contested and refuted a few dozen times on this site in my time on it.

If you'd conducted "personal research" a couple hundred times, no doubt your viewpoint would be a bit sharper than someone who'd only done it a couple of times.

This "push-back" is pretty pointless and is designed to save face and earn some points.
Isn't it a bit strange to compare these unis to English ones where the course is different? You'll be doing Scots Law...
Reply 8
Hi everyone. I haven’t posted on forums like this before so I perhaps didn’t properly scope out the atmosphere- it wasn’t my intention to agitate, upset or cause arguments with this question in the way it so has. Everyone’s feedback has been very helpful in understanding which uni will be better for me, but I’m sure over the coming year this will grow even more apparent. Thanks again :smile:
Original post by ez.s_smrs
Hi everyone. I haven’t posted on forums like this before so I perhaps didn’t properly scope out the atmosphere- it wasn’t my intention to agitate, upset or cause arguments with this question in the way it so has. Everyone’s feedback has been very helpful in understanding which uni will be better for me, but I’m sure over the coming year this will grow even more apparent. Thanks again :smile:

Don't be discouraged. Never take seriously anything written on a forum like this. It can be good to test views and help inform opinion, but never forget that writers are anonymous, they could be anyone.

I suspect that some that write on here genuinely believe they’re academically and professionally highly knowledgeable. More likely they are 6th Formers or undergraduates who wrongly believe they know it all. Some have yet to learn that humility goes a long way. Maybe when they are a little older and wiser they will look back and realise that they were tossers - maybe not!

Being insulting is easy, anyone can do it. A true test of a person’s character is whether they can remain polite, be kind and have manners - no matter how exasperated they may be. A person with true class is as polite to the cleaner as they are to the boss.

So keep going, ask questions.
Original post by emms2001
Don't be discouraged. Never take seriously anything written on a forum like this. It can be good to test views and help inform opinion, but never forget that writers are anonymous, they could be anyone.

I suspect that some that write on here genuinely believe they’re academically and professionally highly knowledgeable. More likely they are 6th Formers or undergraduates who wrongly believe they know it all. Some have yet to learn that humility goes a long way. Maybe when they are a little older and wiser they will look back and realise that they were tossers - maybe not!

Being insulting is easy, anyone can do it. A true test of a person’s character is whether they can remain polite, be kind and have manners - no matter how exasperated they may be. A person with true class is as polite to the cleaner as they are to the boss.

So keep going, ask questions.

You go, girl! *sassy finger clicks*

Can we get back on track and stop wasting time with self-righteous ranting from people who don't even do law.

If you don't like how people post, report their posts and spare us the sermon.
(edited 5 years ago)
Both are good; essentially no reputation difference.

Go to the uni you prefer and which city you’d rather live in. That’s what should determine your choice.
Very sorry to waste your time!, of course the comment was not directed at you but the OP. Strange that you don’t want to waste time, yet post a reply thereby wasting your own time.
Original post by Notoriety
You go, girl! *sassy finger clicks*

Can we get back on track and stop wasting time with self-righteous ranting from people who don't even do law.

If you don't like how people post, report their posts and spare us the sermon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending