A level history?

Watch this thread
Paige31xox
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I love gcse history shall I take it at a level is it hard? And would you recommend?
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Paige31xox)
I love gcse history shall I take it at a level is it hard? And would you recommend?
Really liking a subject is important as it makes it seem less arduous.
Its a lot more in depth at A level plus it shifts away from memorisation of facts and events and towards analysis, opinion, cause and consequence. It is known for a very high volume of coursework, so its painful if you find it dull but ok if it interests you. Talk to your teacher and look at the specification to see what periods you might cover and whether they interest you.

You should look to get at least a [email protected]
NetNeutrality
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
i was considering history (i didnt put it down on the options form but i was considering it) the main thing that throws me off tho is the coursework, like it sounds something that id be very interested in, but from gcse coursework experience (for food tech and art), im not very good at keeping on top of it all. idk if itd be different at alevel, or if id find myself in the same position lol
Paige31xox
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
What do you mean by coursework?
NetNeutrality
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Paige31xox)
What do you mean by coursework?
you know theres coursework at history alevel right?
angelinahx
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by NetNeutrality)
i was considering history (i didnt put it down on the options form but i was considering it) the main thing that throws me off tho is the coursework, like it sounds something that id be very interested in, but from gcse coursework experience (for food tech and art), im not very good at keeping on top of it all. idk if itd be different at alevel, or if id find myself in the same position lol
Coursework isn't even the worst part. 3000-4000 words sounds like a lot but that's the easiest part. The most difficult thing about A-level history is knowing everything you need to know for your exams. You get 45 minutes (for OCR history) to write an essay which isn't enough.
NetNeutrality
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by angelinahx)
Coursework isn't even the worst part. 3000-4000 words sounds like a lot but that's the easiest part. The most difficult thing about A-level history is knowing everything you need to know for your exams. You get 45 minutes (for OCR history) to write an essay which isn't enough.
i mean its pretty much the same with eng lit gcse, 45 mins per section. i am a bit slow i'll admit, but i've figured it out around essay based subjects i think
angelinahx
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by NetNeutrality)
i mean its pretty much the same with eng lit gcse, 45 mins per section. i am a bit slow i'll admit, but i've figured it out around essay based subjects i think
... except that you can’t compare a levels with gcse’s lmfao, students frequently run out of time because the amount of depth + analysis you have to go into within the time constraints of your exams is ,,? a lot
NetNeutrality
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by angelinahx)
... except that you can’t compare a levels with gcse’s lmfao, students frequently run out of time because the amount of depth + analysis you have to go into within the time constraints of your exams is ,,? a lot
fair point ig.... idk cus i put down chem but idk if i wanna do it now lol
catastrophe—
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
honestly, it’s worth really looking into the topics you’ll be doing at your school (there are loads!!) and deciding if it’s worth it - i do biology and chemistry too and history takes up about as much time as both bio and chem combined. it’s much harder than gcse and you have to be motivated to keep on top of essays and consistently reviewing topics - i’d ask someone at your school ( if it has a sixth form) who’s taking history what it’s like, because it’s a ton of work but worth it if you know you’ll enjoy it. feel free to ask my any questions if you want
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (64)
15.84%
The paper was reasonable (197)
48.76%
Not feeling great about that exam... (101)
25%
It was TERRIBLE (42)
10.4%

Watched Threads