Bertybassett
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am very confused on the meaning of microfibrils/fibres and what the difference is/what they are and what they have to do with hydrogen bonding? Particularly in regards to in cellulose in the cell wall in biology. Can some please help? Thanks
acromo123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cellulose is a component of the cell wall; main role being to keep the cell turgid and give it strength. This is why whilst animal cells can shrink totally in size due to osmosis, plant cells will maintain their shape after a lot of osmosis has occurred due to the cellulose.

The cellulose component is made from a chain of beta glucose monomers which means the chain is straight as the glycosidic bonds are alternating at every glucose molecule. This means they form a straight chain, but they also form INTERMOLECULAR forces between each chains, due to the -OH groups on the glucose molecules which can form strong dipoles hence HYDROGEN bonds. So to conclude with cellulose, it is the only one from what you've mentioned that has anything to do with H-BONDS and make up the MICROFIBRILS.

FIBRES on the other hand are those that make up muscles, etc, thin strands with a thread like structure with thick walls, whereas microfibrils are very small line thin strands found mainly on plants cell walls.
Bertybassett
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by acromo123)
Cellulose is a component of the cell wall; main role being to keep the cell turgid and give it strength. This is why whilst animal cells can shrink totally in size due to osmosis, plant cells will maintain their shape after a lot of osmosis has occurred due to the cellulose.

The cellulose component is made from a chain of beta glucose monomers which means the chain is straight as the glycosidic bonds are alternating at every glucose molecule. This means they form a straight chain, but they also form INTERMOLECULAR forces between each chains, due to the -OH groups on the glucose molecules which can form strong dipoles hence HYDROGEN bonds. So to conclude with cellulose, it is the only one from what you've mentioned that has anything to do with H-BONDS and make up the MICROFIBRILS.

FIBRES on the other hand are those that make up muscles, etc, thin strands with a thread like structure with thick walls, whereas microfibrils are very small line thin strands found mainly on plants cell walls.
Thank you for the reply. What do microfibrils actually consist of? Is it just many hydrogen bonds?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (27)
14.36%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (56)
29.79%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (75)
39.89%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (25)
13.3%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.66%

Watched Threads