Girls Sixth Form Clothes

Watch
Kaitlyn_rogers
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm starting Sixth Form in September and my school don't have a specific uniform for sixth formers. You just have to dress smart basically. But I don't know where to start! Can anyone give me any outfit ideas, including shoes and bags and stuff. Any recommended shops or retailers for this would be great! Even particular pieces of clothing would be fine, I just need help anywhere possible.
Last edited by Kaitlyn_rogers; 2 years ago
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Here is a reply from a similar previous thread you might find helpful. Follow the final sentence. Dont buy too much until after you start. Normally black trousers and a blouse might help initially.

I always shopped at ASDA and Primark and got complimented on the stuff :L I don't know exactly how strict your dress code is but mine went nuts over skirts (they'd walk round with bits of paper and measured up from your knee and if your skirt was too short you'd get sent home) so we had to lose the little black bodycon skirts (not exactly business though are they).

For skirts I wore knee length textured black bodycon one (Peacocks) that was still reasonably stylish but complied with the dress code. My other favourite was a houndstooth print skirt (again bodycon, they were fussy about length but not tightness!) which I think was from newlook. I think you'd be safe with any dark coloured skirt that's not too flouncy or short or decorative.

Tailored trousers (Primark- they were cheap but stretchy and comfy as anything!) that looked smart but not frumpy and just reached my ankles in black or navy.

Shirts were in materials like chiffon (not too casual or too dressy). Although we couldn't have our shoulders on show, we had to wear blazers so sleeveless shirts were popular and we weren't limited on colour or pattern so I'd either jazz up my outfit with a patterned shirt or wear a black colour shirt with a necklace (statement but not huge!). You can get them from any clothes shop.

Fine knit jumpers and tops too- I have a high neck, long sleeved black knitted top (or jumper, I'm not actually sure) that to be honest is probably a little bit too clingy to be appropriate but with a blazer over it looks smart.

I wasn't a big dress but my head of sixth form once complimented me on a form fitting black and white aztec print dress so you don't necessarily have to be really dull in what you wear.

I assume you'll need a blazer if they want business wear so I'd recommend ASDA, the womens blazers are more tailored than the school blazers so they look a bit more sophisticated.

Shoes again- basics from ASDA or Primark. A pair of black flats and a pair of black ankle boots should do you.

My best advice would be to look at what your current sixth formers wear and see what your school deems appropriate

brckhmptn
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
H&M workwear section (it’s called modern classic and is anything with the grey labels on), I got most of my A-line skirts from there and they’re still fashionable so you can wear them outside of school too. For shoes either loafers or ballet pumps which you can get from Clark’s or primark depending on your budget. Get loads of turtle necks too as they’re warm but still kinda smart. A trench coat or similar is good for winter (m&s if your budget allows otherwise try new look, primark or H&M). Just don’t buy too much as after a couple weeks everyone wears the same 3 outfits everyday for the rest of the year - literally no one will notice or care. Defo get a backpack instead of ‘over the shoulder’ bags as you will have a lot of textbooks and folders to carry and you’ll end up breaking your bag strap
Toodle A
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
First, I'd say try wearing stuffs that you actually find comfy. Take cognisance of the weather. Turtle necks are great. For shoes, really with all the moving about you'll be doing, for me, nice flats did it. Ballet pumps too. Have a number of blacks, they're often go-to when you need to rush. Don't forget your jeans, keep in mind outfits that you can wear and look smart in a rush. Have a really solid backpack cos you may be carrying quite a number of books but honestly, you don't want to be carrying backpacks every singe day. I shop solid fashionable handbags from noremad handbags.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.87%
Okay (109)
29.07%
A bit lacking (139)
37.07%
Not good at all (90)
24%

Watched Threads