Help!! I hate sixth form and want to drop out! What should I do? Watch

Broccothedoggo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I am not enjoying sixth from at the moment, and feel that the best option for me is to just drop out. If such a thing as a 'reset' button existed, I would happily use it. Every morning I just think to myself "Great, I've got sixth form..."

Essentially, I'm not enjoying A-levels currently and regret ever picking them in the first place. I am currently doing Business and ICT, and loathe them. They're boring, uninteresting and are not challenging in any sort of way (at least for me). I was also doing law, but had to drop it as I failed the mock for it (mainly because I didn't have any sort of motivation to do well).

I wanted to do Business (just as one that would be an easy pass for me), Chemistry and Computer Science. However, I didn't enquire about these subjects as I didn't get the grades required. The reason I didn't look into these subjects is because it was made apparent from the start that the culture there, was one in which every student was just viewed as a statistic. I even asked about Economics (which only had C's as requirements), but I was told to "not bother" as I would "barely scrape a pass."

Now, to the reason I didn't get the grades needed. I was predicted to do very well (A*'s, A's etc), but my mental health started to deteriorate a few months before exams, and it got worse from there. I tried reaching out, but the high school weren't interested. Fast forward to results day, I got C's in pretty much everything with the exception of Business and ICT (got A's in both). I thought to myself "not exactly the grades I wanted, but I should be able to do what I want." I turned up to the sixth form on results day, only to be told that I couldn't do them because of my GCSEs.

My sixth form is horrible; they treat you like you're a burden and their student support is non-existent. I honestly want to drop out, as I don't see the point in carrying on. I feel like a failure, and I don't have much confidence in my intelligence. The upsetting thing is, is that I don't think I can do anything about this. I'm at a loss and don't know what to do.

If I could do year 12 again at another institutuion and do the A-levels I want to, then I would.

Edit/Note: Despite exams quickly approaching, I am yet to start revising as I'm just not motivated to do well. In addition, my mental wellbeing isn't too great at the moment either.

Many thanks.
Last edited by Broccothedoggo; 5 months ago
Parker Tracy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
If you want to drop out - then drop out. It's your life, your choice. But what's the plan thereafter? What sort of job do you have the qualifications to get?

It seems to me that you are still young, and presumably living at home, so you don't have any financial responsibilities - it is not too late to change direction. If I were in your situation, I would cowboy up, finish what I had started, and try and do well in my current exams. It's not long to go before the academic year is concluded. Then, when you finish 6th year, go and do the A levels you want to do in a further education college.
Broccothedoggo
Rep:
?
I hate them though, and they will only result in crappy jobs. I want to do something which is fun, interesting and challenging. I also want to do something which will result in a fulfilling career. I feel like there are no opportunities for me in this world, and that I'm set up for failure.
(Original post by LiyoS)
If you want to drop out - then drop out. It's your life, your choice. But what's the plan thereafter? What sort of job do you have the qualifications to get?

It seems to me that you are still young, and presumably living at home, so you don't have any financial responsibilities - it is not too late to change direction. If I were in your situation, I would cowboy up, finish what I had started, and try and do well in my current exams. It's not long to go before the academic year is concluded. Then, when you finish 6th year, go and do the A levels you want to do in a further education college.
cranjar1908
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
where is ur sixth form or which do u go to
(Original post by Broccothedoggo)
I am not enjoying sixth from at the moment, and feel that the best option for me is to just drop out. If such a thing as a 'reset' button existed, I would happily use it.

Essentially, I'm not enjoying A-levels currently and regret ever picking them in the first place. I am currently doing Business and ICT, and loathe them. They're boring, uninteresting and are not challenging in any sort of way (at least for me). I was also doing law, but had to drop it as I failed the mock for it (mainly because I didn't have any sort of motivation to do well).

I wanted to do Business (just as one that would be an easy pass for me), Chemistry and Computer Science. However, I didn't enquire about these subjects as I didn't get the grade required. The reason I didn't look into these subjects is because it was made apparent from the start that the culture there, was one in which every student was just viewed as a statistic. I even asked about Economics (which only had C's as requirements), but I was told to "not bother" as I would "barely scrape a pass."

Now, to the reason I didn't get the grades needed. I was predicted to do very well (A*'s, A's etc), but my mental health started to deteriorate a few months before exams, and it got worse from there. I tried reaching out, but the high school weren't interested. Fast forward to results day, I got C's in pretty much everything with the exception of Business and ICT (got A's in both). I thought to myself "not exactly the grades I wanted, but I should be able to do what I want." I turned up to the sixth form on results day, only to be told that I couldn't do them because of my GCSEs.

My sixth form is horrible; they treat you like you're a burden and their student support is non-existent. I honestly want to drop out, as I don't see the point in carrying on. I feel like a failure, and I don't have much confidence in my intelligence. The upsetting thing is, is that I don't think I can do anything about this.

Many thanks.
Broccothedoggo
Rep:
?
I don't know why it's so important, but Deeside Sixth.
(Original post by cranjar1908)
where is ur sixth form or which do u go to
Unelunetrange
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I am not enjoying sixth from at the moment, and feel that the best option for me is to just drop out. If such a thing as a 'reset' button existed, I would happily use it. Every morning I just think to myself "Great, I've got sixth form..."

I wanted to do Business (just as one that would be an easy pass for me), Chemistry and Computer Science. However, I didn't enquire about these subjects as I didn't get the grades required. The reason I didn't look into these subjects is because it was made apparent from the start that the culture there, was one in which every student was just viewed as a statistic. I even asked about Economics (which only had C's as requirements), but I was told to "not bother" as I would "barely scrape a pass."

My sixth form is horrible; they treat you like you're a burden and their student support is non-existent. I honestly want to drop out, as I don't see the point in carrying on. I feel like a failure, and I don't have much confidence in my intelligence. The upsetting thing is, is that I don't think I can do anything about this. I'm at a loss and don't know what to do.

If I could do year 12 again at another institutuion and do the A-levels I want to, then I would.

Edit/Note: Despite exams quickly approaching, I am yet to start revising as I'm just not motivated to do well. In addition, my mental wellbeing isn't too great at the moment either.

Many thanks.
Hello! I can really relate to wanting to drop out of Sixth Form, maybe something I say will help.

A friend of mine really messed up her Year 12 and so asked if she could start again, thankfully her sixth form agreed and she is happily now finishing her Year 12 and moving into Year 13 next year, with grades that she is much happier with. You mentioned you don't like your sixth form, I would call (emailing usually gets ignored) other sixth forms and explain honestly your situation to see if they would be willing to let you retake Year 12.

This may not be what you want to do, and if that is the case then I would suggest you take a look at any collages in your local area and apply for an 'Access to Higher Education Diploma'. It's a good idea to look at any unis you may want to apply to and see what the course entry requirements are. Even if you don't plan on going to uni, its always good to keep future doors open. Collages give you so much more freedom than a sixth form will, it can help build your independence and agency over how you want to spend your time as opposed to sitting in a building revising until you no longer want to study.

Another great solution is to try and get yourself into an apprenticeship, that way you get straight into your field of desired work as well as being able to keep up with your studies. This usually gets you involved with a company and often you will find lasting employment. The gov.uk website (https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship) has some great information about how to get yourself involved.

I hope this helps, and good luck!
Broccothedoggo
Rep:
?
Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. I really want to do A-levels and just have a fresh start to be honest. Though there aren't many sixth forms around which aren't owned by the same company, I'll have a look around and call some places. I haven't got any friends at my current sixth form and just completely hate it. In addition to that, the student support is non-existent and they just treat you like a statistic. If I attended a high school which had a sixth form, then they'd have to give me a chance. Sadly, I didn't. I'm hoping other sixth forms will take a chance on me and allow me to do what I want. I know this probably sounds really entitled, but I feel like a deserve a chance/shot at doing things I enjoy and redeming and proving myself. Sorry if this paragraph is all over the place, I'm really tired at the moment and can't get any sleep. It's just that I'm starting to get really annoyed with it all. I NEVER want to go into college, and I just feel like **** and a loser every day of my life. Throughout my life, I've been told that I'm "bright" and that I can "do anything" I want. Yet, I question my intelligence every day and am stuck doing subjects I loathe. Sorry for the long-winded reply and thank you very much.
(Original post by Unelunetrange)
Hello! I can really relate to wanting to drop out of Sixth Form, maybe something I say will help.

A friend of mine really messed up her Year 12 and so asked if she could start again, thankfully her sixth form agreed and she is happily now finishing her Year 12 and moving into Year 13 next year, with grades that she is much happier with. You mentioned you don't like your sixth form, I would call (emailing usually gets ignored) other sixth forms and explain honestly your situation to see if they would be willing to let you retake Year 12.

This may not be what you want to do, and if that is the case then I would suggest you take a look at any collages in your local area and apply for an 'Access to Higher Education Diploma'. It's a good idea to look at any unis you may want to apply to and see what the course entry requirements are. Even if you don't plan on going to uni, its always good to keep future doors open. Collages give you so much more freedom than a sixth form will, it can help build your independence and agency over how you want to spend your time as opposed to sitting in a building revising until you no longer want to study.

Another great solution is to try and get yourself into an apprenticeship, that way you get straight into your field of desired work as well as being able to keep up with your studies. This usually gets you involved with a company and often you will find lasting employment. The gov.uk website (https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship) has some great information about how to get yourself involved.

I hope this helps, and good luck!
cranjar1908
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
im asking coz it cud just be the fact u dont like your sixth form. Also for some sixth forms you can ask for a switch to another sixth form that would be better for you. Literally the best option for you is to speak to memebr of staff at your sicth form and look at your options.
I don't know why it's so important, but Deeside Sixth.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Sixth form is meant to be or always is bad. Tough it out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (33)
7.42%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (262)
58.88%
No (150)
33.71%

Watched Threads