ShyGirl243
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey guys,

So what’s the best laptop for editing videos or a YouTube video but also easy to understand and use ?! I’ve heard a MacBook is quite good?

Any other laptops or any advice? Btw I’ve never used a MacBook but I guess I can learn
Molseh
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Check out this guide for some decent information on buying a laptop.

General consensus: Macbooks are overpriced fashion accessories.
Last edited by Molseh; 1 year ago
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ShyGirl243)
Hey guys,

So what’s the best laptop for editing videos or a YouTube video but also easy to understand and use ?! I’ve heard a MacBook is quite good?

Any other laptops or any advice? Btw I’ve never used a MacBook but I guess I can learn
Hi,

Firstly this should be in the laptops, netbooks and tablets forum. I'll tag AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there for you

Any laptop is good for that, providing the specs are decent enough to run the editing software in question.

Now, it all depends what software you want to edit on. If it's Apple's Final Cut Pro, then they've optimised it well for their computers and if it's that you want to use then go for the MacBook.

However, if it's something like Adobe's premiere then I'd say from the amount of stuff I hear about people using them, and having used it myself, a windows computer is more optimised for the job. It maybe because my Windows PC has better specs than my MacBook; however, others have said the exact same.
ShyGirl243
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Yeah I would like to use Final Cut Pro as I’ve heard it’s really good but is that on every mac laptop or a specific one...might sound like a stupid question but I don’t know much about Mac books
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
Hi,

Firstly this should be in the laptops, netbooks and tablets forum. I'll tag AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there for you

Any laptop is good for that, providing the specs are decent enough to run the editing software in question.

Now, it all depends what software you want to edit on. If it's Apple's Final Cut Pro, then they've optimised it well for their computers and if it's that you want to use then go for the MacBook.

However, if it's something like Adobe's premiere then I'd say from the amount of stuff I hear about people using them, and having used it myself, a windows computer is more optimised for the job. It maybe because my Windows PC has better specs than my MacBook; however, others have said the exact same.
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ShyGirl243)
Yeah I would like to use Final Cut Pro as I’ve heard it’s really good but is that on every mac laptop or a specific one...might sound like a stupid question but I don’t know much about Mac books
Obviously, the better the specs = the better the performance will be. However, the specs won't limit you from using the software as it's been optimised well by Apple, on their own hardware. (minimum specs located here)
Molseh
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I possibly should have specified a little bit more than just jumping on the MacBook hate train to be fair.
The two methods I have found best for comparing a Windows Laptop to a MacBook are:

- Choose a budget and find the MacBook you like for that budget, then find two Windows Laptops at the same price. After that compare the Hardware included and see what you get extra.
- If you know how to, pick the Hardware you want and find the MacBook and Windows Laptop that suit, then compare prices.

However, this is all useless if you don't know anything about Hardware, in which case you are probably in the MacBook target audience.
A good target for video editing:
- Processor: Intel Core i7 (i5 could work on a budget)
- RAM: 16gb+ (More is better depending on budget)
- Graphics Card: 4GB or higher is advisable.
- Screen: If you are editing 4K you want to see 4K
- Storage: SSD is advisable but kinda pricey, otherwise a 7200rpm HDD will do the job
- Software: Whatever goes with the OS you will be using

Disclaimer: Whilst I advise against them, MacBooks are good pieces of kit, just too expensive(in my opinion) for what is essentially the privilege of having an Apple on your Laptop. Even after I did all of the above to show the savings for my sister she still went and bought a MacBook Pro for daily editing and she swears by it so... at the end of that day it is your choice!
Molseh
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm far too lazy and also far too out of touch with the specifics to go into the details like you have so thumbs up!

TIL about the gen being the first number after the hyphen.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.27%
I'm not sure (33)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (239)
30.8%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.23%

Watched Threads