The Student Room Group

Not sure what to do regarding my future

I'm in year 13 and I am doing chemistry, biology and maths for A-levels. I am interested (most of the time) in science and I'm a person who relies on logic a lot. I like helping people as well.

I wanted to do dentistry for a while but I ended up applying for medicine for 2019 entry. I got rejected from all four choices and now when I look at anything to do with medicine I get very upset because it seems like I want to do medicine less and less. I got rejected because of my score in the UKCAT. (645 as an average).

I have thought about other career choices but nothing seems to strike me as interesting or something I even want to do. I originally chose medicine because it was what I "didn't want to do the least out of everything else".

I don't know what to do and going to university is appealing less to me, yet I still want to go. (Sort of, I kind of don't want to do anything and I am super depressed but I know that doing nothing is very unrealistic so I'm trying to pull myself together) I'm just wondering what other courses anyone could recommend for me at uni and if I don't go to uni, what other options are there. I don't like research very much and I have looked at courses like biochemistry but they don't really look interesting to me.

I know there are things like apprenticeships but I'm just unsure in general.

I also think I'm going to take a gap year if I still don't manage to get into medicine this year. I'm just wondering if I should apply for medicine again next year because right now, I seem to want to do it a whole lot less than other people usually do. I think I want to do it but looking at things related to medicine makes me feel really down and I cry a lot.

I'm sorry if this post is a mess, it's my first time posting and I'm just 'stuck' and don't know what to do. (Mildly freaking out as well) I have talked to teachers at school about what to do and my advisor (I am not really comfortable with talking to her in general) said I should consider other courses.

I also don't know what to do in my gap year. I've already arranged some work experience during the summer holiday but I don't know if I should just focus on doing the UKCAT and BMAT and apply this October for medicine. I know I should do more work experience so I'm going to arrange more of that.

Note: I have no idea which forum this post should be on so sorry if it's in the wrong one.
Reply 1
Original post by blueoo
I'm in year 13 and I am doing chemistry, biology and maths for A-levels. I am interested (most of the time) in science and I'm a person who relies on logic a lot. I like helping people as well.

I wanted to do dentistry for a while but I ended up applying for medicine for 2019 entry. I got rejected from all four choices and now when I look at anything to do with medicine I get very upset because it seems like I want to do medicine less and less. I got rejected because of my score in the UKCAT. (645 as an average).

I have thought about other career choices but nothing seems to strike me as interesting or something I even want to do. I originally chose medicine because it was what I "didn't want to do the least out of everything else".

I don't know what to do and going to university is appealing less to me, yet I still want to go. (Sort of, I kind of don't want to do anything and I am super depressed but I know that doing nothing is very unrealistic so I'm trying to pull myself together) I'm just wondering what other courses anyone could recommend for me at uni and if I don't go to uni, what other options are there. I don't like research very much and I have looked at courses like biochemistry but they don't really look interesting to me.

I know there are things like apprenticeships but I'm just unsure in general.

I also think I'm going to take a gap year if I still don't manage to get into medicine this year. I'm just wondering if I should apply for medicine again next year because right now, I seem to want to do it a whole lot less than other people usually do. I think I want to do it but looking at things related to medicine makes me feel really down and I cry a lot.

I'm sorry if this post is a mess, it's my first time posting and I'm just 'stuck' and don't know what to do. (Mildly freaking out as well) I have talked to teachers at school about what to do and my advisor (I am not really comfortable with talking to her in general) said I should consider other courses.

I also don't know what to do in my gap year. I've already arranged some work experience during the summer holiday but I don't know if I should just focus on doing the UKCAT and BMAT and apply this October for medicine. I know I should do more work experience so I'm going to arrange more of that.

Note: I have no idea which forum this post should be on so sorry if it's in the wrong one.

I guess firstly you need to decide whether you want to study medicine or not. It could be that it just upsets you because you've had four rejections and it seems too difficult or out of your reach. Only you can answer that question, but getting some more medically or care based work experience may help you reach that decision.

In terms of your UKCAT of 645, that alone would not prevent you getting into Medicine, but it's quite possible that you applied to Uni's who put a high emphasis on UKCAT in their selection criteria for interviews (some do that much more than others). Also many applicants improve their UKCAT score considerably second time around.

If you do decide to apply again then try this thread once you have your UKCAT score for this year, and also your A level results. If you post on there you will get good advice on how to apply to your strengths, which will give you a better chance of interviews.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5622970

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending