Am I making a mistake with my uni choices?

Watch
aspiringlawyerNW
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by J-SP)
York is somewhere between the two. It will present more opportunities than Newcastle but less than UCL.

There will be more people aiming for commercial firms in the city.

I wouldn’t class it as a very social/nightlife university though - suffers from being a campus uni outside of the city centre, and although I personally love York for a night out, it isn’t very lively/diverse.
Well I would say that the majority of the people in my year at York who are wanting to actually work in Law are aiming for City/MC/SC/US firms. There seem to be more wanting to go to the bar than working in a regional firm.
(Original post by d2018b)
Is york diverse? As a Brit south Asian, l, I would like to Idk be in a ethically diverse uni. For these reasons I actually stopped myself from putting Exeter down as my firm as the BME % is very very low. I’m visiting York soon and am worried that I’ll be taking an expensive visit to see the same thing 😬
I'm a first year student and the course is VERY diverse, it's a big thing for the University. Half of my student law firm are internationals, and even those from the UK aren't your average white middle class Uni kids.
aspiringlawyerNW
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by J-SP)
The most active students probably are. The ones you probably don’t interact with are those who are probably looking to remain local.
There aren't many people I don't interact with on some level, I'm the course rep. There are people (like myself) who explicitly does not want to work in the City, but not as many as you'd think for a University in the North. It's mainly just the ones who are actually from up here, which isn't as many as you'd think either.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AndrewMarkSP)
There aren't many people I don't interact with on some level, I'm the course rep. There are people (like myself) who explicitly does not want to work in the City, but not as many as you'd think for a University in the North. It's mainly just the ones who are actually from up here, which isn't as many as you'd think either.
Personally never interacted with a course rep in me life.
aspiringlawyerNW
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Personally never interacted with a course rep in me life.
I'm sure they dodged a bullet there.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AndrewMarkSP)
I'm sure they dodged a bullet there.
Good one.

But yeah, course reps are barely interacted with. I am not sure why you'd think you would be the "go-to man" and familiar with everyone.
Molseh
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I won't get drawn into what University to choose but will say that University experience is hugely overrated and at the end of the day only a few years of your life.

You sound like a very driven/aspirational person. Remember the end goal wasn't getting into University, but to where you can and will work for the next 50 years of your life afterwards.
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there,

It's great that you're trying to find a university which will suit you best in relation to area and course. There's no right or wrong decision when it comes to deciding on a university, just because something is best for one person doesn't mean its the same for another.

You could research into your top choices further and compare them by making a list of what you believe are pros and cons.

Which University? Is an online guide to different universities, including Student Views, Entry Requirements, Courses and Career Prospects. It then breaks down this information further to help you compare the modes of study and modules offered. It also has guides to specific universities, advice on applying and interviews and support for clearing and results days. It might help you understand the university from the point of view of students who go there:

https://university.which.co.uk/

Open days can also give a good idea of what it would be like at a particular university, and you can get a feel for the area and the atmosphere to see if you like it. You may also get the opportunity to talk to lecturers and course tutors about the courses and it will cover. I have included a link below that you can use to search for university open days. It might help visiting universities again and maybe taking someone with you to look at them.

http://www.opendays.com/

I hope this helps and best of luck!

Samrita
(Original post by TripleTommy)
Hi,

Just made an account on this as I’m really struggling to choose where to study for my LLB this September.

I got all 5 offers from UCL, KCL, Nottingham, York and Newcastle, which I’m really pleased about and I’m predicted A*A*A.

I was set on going to UCL as obviously it’s a great uni with an amazing rep but looking in more depth, I’ve decided that living in London isn’t something I really want and I’ve been put off the idea of studying there for undergraduate.

York has a really cool looking course but I found the city and campus a bit isolated and dull, which means I’ve ruled them out; Nottingham has a great campus but something about it didn’t really click with me so I’m not thinking of firming them either.

That leaves me with Newcastle, which right now I’m 95% sure I’m going to firm.

The city is amazing and the student life there is meant to be unparalleled; having been there once or twice with friends, I know it’s a place I would love to live in. The law school also seems good, with an interesting course, while I just got the “feel” when I went there.

People have told me it’s not as good as my other choices and I’ll be making a mistake if I firm it which is playing in my mind a little - if I firm Newcastle would you say I’m making a wrong decision?

I know it’s not as good a law school as UCL or some of my other choices but it just clicked with me and I’d rather be happy with where I’m studying than go somewhere based on reputation.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Last edited by National Careers Service; 1 year ago
Jdidbdjsks
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry to kill all the support you've been getting in this thread.
Even though everyone seems to think that you have a very mature mindset, I somewhat disagree. You are very young and to be declining an offer from UCL and/or kings is in my opinion silly. You might know how you want your life to be at the moment, but that could easily change and I think by firming Newcastle you are closing many doors unnecessarily. I'm saying all of this of corse with the understanding that you are not struggling financially (none of my business) and are genuinely interested in Newcastle. Social life in London is great and easily matches what Newcastle offer in that aspect. Even if you are a quiet and resevred person London is great. Not only is UCL more reputable and prestigious, but London is an insane city for networking. The connections you can make there will last you for a life time.
I'm going to be brutally honest and say you should firm UCL or KINGS. if you are really suffering then transfer to Newcastle- it's always easier to downgrade than upgrade. Sorry for being so harsh.
aspiringlawyerNW
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Good one.

But yeah, course reps are barely interacted with. I am not sure why you'd think you would be the "go-to man" and familiar with everyone.
I never claimed to be a go-to man. But I do actively reach out to the students in my year. And it's made easy doing so that they're organised into groups 10-14 for law firms. I'm also admin of our Facebook group and chat, which has like 80% of our year in. So yeah, when I say I've interacted with a lot of my cohort it's because I have.
bellacinderella
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
" there will be BCC students there" "which is a bit off putting" kinda rude dude, are these students too sparse in knowledge to even study amongst u? I am predicted A*A*A. I applied to study medicine at UCL and got post interview rejection which really hurt. You have an opportunity to study at a very good uni and the social life in london is really good too... its up to you though and you do seem to have already made up your mind.
Thank you, that’s really appreciated (as well as the personal message )

I do have high aspirations (hence why I’m predicted A*A*A) and applied to UCL etc but I want to enjoy my uni experience more than anything and just think the atmosphere and the overall experience would be much better for me in Newcastle than it would London/UCL.

I’d ideally like to go into some of the elite firms in London and I hope this would be possible with a degree from Newcastle - it might make it harder but I’m driven and able to motivate myself when I really want something.

People have told me “Newcastle’s a clearing uni”, “there will be BCC students there”, which is a bit off putting but at the end of the day they don’t determine my success.
TripleTommy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Jdidbdjsks)
Sorry to kill all the support you've been getting in this thread.
Even though everyone seems to think that you have a very mature mindset, I somewhat disagree. You are very young and to be declining an offer from UCL and/or kings is in my opinion silly. You might know how you want your life to be at the moment, but that could easily change and I think by firming Newcastle you are closing many doors unnecessarily. I'm saying all of this of corse with the understanding that you are not struggling financially (none of my business) and are genuinely interested in Newcastle. Social life in London is great and easily matches what Newcastle offer in that aspect. Even if you are a quiet and resevred person London is great. Not only is UCL more reputable and prestigious, but London is an insane city for networking. The connections you can make there will last you for a life time.
I'm going to be brutally honest and say you should firm UCL or KINGS. if you are really suffering then transfer to Newcastle- it's always easier to downgrade than upgrade. Sorry for being so harsh.
Thank you - I’d rather honesty than someone just telling me what I want to hear.

If it’s going to shut that many doors I’d reconsider but I just don’t feel as if the London lifestyle is for me - at least for undergraduate level.
TripleTommy
Rep:
?
I appreciate that, like I said I’d rather people were honest.

If not Newcastle, what about York? Would that be as stupid to go to as opposed to UCL?

I’m just not keen on London life anymore having looked in more depth and York does appeal.
aspiringlawyerNW
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Does anyone in this thread have any data of what they do? I think I was clear that it was based on what I've experienced and *not* statistical research ("I would say", "it seems"). As far as I see it, unless you guys have anything that says otherwise, what I'm saying is more reliable on this issue than a mere assumption that because the University isn't in London less want to work there.
Last edited by aspiringlawyerNW; 1 year ago
TripleTommy
Rep:
?
(Original post by bellacinderella)
" there will be BCC students there" "which is a bit off putting" kinda rude dude, are these students too sparse in knowledge to even study amongst u? I am predicted A*A*A. I applied to study medicine at UCL and got post interview rejection which really hurt. You have an opportunity to study at a very good uni and the social life in london is really good too... its up to you though and you do seem to have already made up your mind.
I’m sorry and it wasn’t meant in a rude way at all but if you’ve got A*A*A say and you’re surrounded by students with much lower grades and aspirations, I doubt the opportunities and stretching will be as good.

Sorry for your rejection and I wish you could take my place; the London life just doesn’t appeal.

Where are you going now?
aspiringlawyerNW
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That was a typo, which I've fixed. Although it should have been clear from the rest of the post.

Which Chamber Student research are you referring to?
bellacinderella
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
its fine i get u now. I have an offer at Queens University Belfast, but idk if i will go, i might take a gap year. I also have an offer for cancer biomedicine at UCL so i might do that but i dont really like the idea of post graduate entry to medicine, too long! idk idk idk
I’m sorry and it wasn’t meant in a rude way at all but if you’ve got A*A*A say and you’re surrounded by students with much lower grades and aspirations, I doubt the opportunities and stretching will be as good.

Sorry for your rejection and I wish you could take my place; the London life just doesn’t appeal.

Where are you going now?
TripleTommy
Rep:
?
Thanks for all the feedback.

I think ultimately Newcastle won’t stretch me as much as my other options would and I don’t want to regret that opportunity in later life.

I’m still not keen on London and Notts doesn’t appeal so much either so I think I’ll go with York.

Is this wise or is everyone going to tell me that going to York over UCL is a bad decision as well?!
TripleTommy
Rep:
?
(Original post by bellacinderella)
its fine i get u now. I have an offer at Queens University Belfast, but idk if i will go, i might take a gap year. I also have an offer for cancer biomedicine at UCL so i might do that but i dont really like the idea of post graduate entry to medicine, too long! idk idk idk
I’m sure you’ll work it out - QUB is a good uni!

If you manage to get A*A*A though, your doors will be open with whatever you do so try and be positive for sure!
Dr J
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for all the feedback.

I think ultimately Newcastle won’t stretch me as much as my other options would and I don’t want to regret that opportunity in later life.

I’m still not keen on London and Notts doesn’t appeal so much either so I think I’ll go with York.

Is this wise or is everyone going to tell me that going to York over UCL is a bad decision as well?!
UCL UCL UCL, york is soo small. In all seriousness, go to theconpleteuni guide and which uni to review between UCL and York. Look at graduate salary and course satisfaction.
aspiringlawyerNW
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That oft-cited survey was conducted 2013-2015, only a few years after York opened their law department. Despite that, it's still somehow listed in the top fifteen for MC and general London firm's preferred Universities. It was only a few spots behind LSE/UCL, which have similar cohort sizes. Considering York only really established itself as a top 10-20 department for Law after that study was conducted, I would say that's a pretty good result. Even though it's irrelevant to what I've said, since my comments are based on the students in the first year at the moment, not students who have already left the nest.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (131)
14.72%
I'm not sure (40)
4.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (267)
30%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.47%
I'm not a current university student (430)
48.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise