Do you think it’s racist to say you’re not attracted to an ethnicity? Watch

TripleTommy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi,

I was having a debate with my friends about dating and one of them said, “I’m mainly attracted to blonde, white girls”, which seems fair as it’s a preference thing but then he said “I’m just not really attracted to black people”.

He said this wasn’t racist as it’s the same as saying you’re not attracted to gingers or people under 5 foot 5 day and he’s just more personally attracted to white people.

I get where he’s coming from but do you think if someone said they’re not attracted to a particular ethnicity, whether it be white people, black people, Asians etc, it should be classified as racist?

He wouldn’t discriminate against black people and would be more than happy to be friends with them, he just said he doesn’t find them attractive in a dating sense.

Thoughts?
sinfonietta
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's not racist. You can't control who you are/aren't attracted to.
Hiro2468
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Imo it's not rascist it's just a preference. Unless they say "eww their skin colour is disgusting" or stuff like that.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
same tbh im not attracted to black people and its not racist just what i find good looking
Tootles
Badges: 20
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TripleTommy)
Hi,

I was having a debate with my friends about dating and one of them said, “I’m mainly attracted to blonde, white girls”, which seems fair as it’s a preference thing but then he said “I’m just not really attracted to black people”.

He said this wasn’t racist as it’s the same as saying you’re not attracted to gingers or people under 5 foot 5 day and he’s just more personally attracted to white people.

I get where he’s coming from but do you think if someone said they’re not attracted to a particular ethnicity, whether it be white people, black people, Asians etc, it should be classified as racist?

He wouldn’t discriminate against black people and would be more than happy to be friends with them, he just said he doesn’t find them attractive in a dating sense.

Thoughts?
It isn't racist. Some people don't find certain skin types or colours attractive in a potential partner. I struggle to see how you could think it could be considered racist. By that logic, not being bisexual should be considered sexist.
Jack22031994
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No it isnt. You cant control what you are and arent attracted to.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by sinfonietta)
It's not racist. You can't control who you are/aren't attracted to.

That's not a good argument because If someone in your class or work or uni admitted being attracted to 7 year old children he'd be branded a pedophile and socially ostracised immediately.

people literally wouldn't even sit next to him.

society DOES expect people to control what they are and aren't attracted to.

It does technically meet the criteria for racism to say you are not attracted to someone on the basis of their race but it is socially acceptable racism
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ANM775)
That's not a good argument because If someone in your class or work or uni admitted being attracted to 7 year old children he'd be branded a pedophile and socially ostracised immediately.

It does technically meet the criteria for racism to say you are not attracted to someone on the basis of their race but it is socially acceptable racism
racism or not im simply not attracted to black people lol
_gcx
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

you can't control what you're attracted to - you'd just lie about it.
storm95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It’s not though bear in mind some snowflake will get triggered
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
http://i.imgur.com/amDp8jE.gif
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Abusing children harms them though, not being attracted to a skin colour doesn’t harm anyone.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
Abusing children harms them though, not being attracted to a skin colour doesn’t harm anyone.
Who said anything about abuse?

I said a guy could simply admit to being attracted to young children and as a result would get treated like a pariah based on something he cannot control
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think it's sort of closed-minded to expect that you'll never be attracted to any black person at all. In fact it's probably a self-fulfilling prophecy. So, ''acceptable but somewhat disappointing'' as far as I'm concerned.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

I said a guy could simply admit to being attracted to young children and as a result would get treated like a pariah based on something he cannot control
Talking about Paedophilia is also implying abuse in there. Maybe just clarify it in future.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

I agree that there is a problem with the way society treats paedophiles - the main part of that problem being, that society equates paedophiles and child molesters.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
Talking about Paedophilia is also implying abuse in there. Maybe just clarify it in future.
even if the guy threw in a "i've never actually touched a child tho" he'd still be judged and socially excluded

my point is valid
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
even if the guy threw in a "i've never actually touched a child tho" he'd still be judged and socially excluded

my point is valid
Not really, they are very different things. Not being attracted to a skin colour can’t harm someone, but the implication for being attracted to children means they can be harmed if acted upon.

The two things are too different to be compared.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
nope youre entitled to a preference...

like this youtuber: "If you dont date black/trans people, thats pretty discriminatory"....

username3883544
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's not racist but it still means you should treat them with respect. I think it's probably better to say whom you are attracted to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.77%
No - but I will (102)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (634)
47.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise