Was Franco really that bad?

Watch
Jamesman1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I've been looking into the history of Spanish civil war and I went into it thinking Franco to be a evil freak like Hitler but I am surprised to find myself understanding why a guy felt the need to invade his own country to end communism, unpatriotic groups and other religions dominating Spain I feel without Franco Spain would be a wasteland of anarcasim. Have I missed something or was Franco a a nessasery evil?
username402722
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not as bad as Hitler or Stalin but not a good thing either.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ha welcome to thunderdome with that question. It entirely depends on your views on humanity and your moral position on means and ends.
Personally I say he was a rather large **** but he did do some good work, like dragging spain out of the dark ages. then again I found learning about Francos spain incredibly boring so my knowledge is limited on this.
username2950448
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
He was good for business.
katf
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
He wasn't very nice to say the least. Violent suppression of political opponents and trade unionists aren't the actions of nice people. Nor was his treatment of women, who weren't allowed a bank account without either their husband or father cosigning.

Definitely not a necessary evil, he was just evil.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jamesman1)
I've been looking into the history of Spanish civil war and I went into it thinking Franco to be a evil freak like Hitler but I am surprised to find myself understanding why a guy felt the need to invade his own country to end communism, unpatriotic groups and other religions dominating Spain I feel without Franco Spain would be a wasteland of anarcasim. Have I missed something or was Franco a a nessasery evil?
Franco daubed his hands with the blood of the Spaniard's: he has broken the civil war in 1939 and under his leadership in times of francoism, he terrorized and killed the opponents who were against his political interests and the dictatorship in Spain. All contestations and contradictions aside, he is a murderer. Not in the way Hitler and Stalin were, but a murderer. A murderer who was able to control the governments and administrative bodies by his hands up to his death. A dictator who nominated politicians by his own and will and refused to permit elections. A censorship in Spain exists under his leadership. Many things which are not compatible with our understanding of freedom and democracy in the presence.

That is why from my view he was a bad dictator with the power to oppress the entire country he ruled.
Last edited by Kallisto; 2 years ago
z-hog
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Portugal had a similar trajectory without the bloodshed, with a dictatorship from 1928 to 74 and with Salazar as their strongman. The context is all, that was the 30s and the easterly ideological winds were blowing parts of the West like the Iberian peninsula. The Church alone would have been extremely concerned and together with military they were the natural defences.

It's always good to remember that the nature of these dictators' enemies wasn't much to crow about either, it's not as if they were any less totalitarian and determined to resort to any means to achieve their ends. Some people have suggested that Hitler rose to the top only as a reaction against the Bolsheviks, that hadn't it been for them and we'd have never had WWII. It could be.
Last edited by z-hog; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (39)
40.63%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
21.88%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (5)
5.21%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
9.38%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (5)
5.21%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
6.25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
11.46%

Watched Threads