Why are fibrous proteins more stable than globular proteins??

Watch
foxstudy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Fibrous proteins have little or no tertiary structure meaning that they primarily have hydrogen bonding whereas globular proteins have tertiary structures so they have other types of bonding as well as hydrogen. Hydrogen bonding is very weak so why are fibrous proteins LESS sensitive to changes in temp and pH???
foxstudy
Rep:
?
bump
foxstudy
Rep:
?
bump
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Fibrous proteins are long chain polypeptides (peptide bond is covalent). Polymers are very resistant to temperature change because they have high melting points due to the length. They are also staggered at the end to prevent weak points. The hydrogen bonds are not part of the actual molecule; they only connect adjacent proteins to form the larger structure (eg the wall of a blood vessel)

They are also very resistant to pH change because they are mostly made of glycine (R group is H, the simplest amino acid) which has no proton accepting or donating groups, thus no hydrogens can be lost or gained onto the molecule to change its shape (except at the points where it is an amino acid other than glycine).

Globular proteins are made of many different amino acids, many of which are very sensitive to pH changes because they have complex R groups. They are also more sensitive to temperature changes because of their complex tertiary structure - means any rise or fall may cause the formation or the breakage of hydrogen/weak ionic bonds, changing the 3D shape and denaturing it.
Last edited by 015892432; 2 years ago
Nalk1573
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by foxstudy)
Fibrous proteins have little or no tertiary structure meaning that they primarily have hydrogen bonding whereas globular proteins have tertiary structures so they have other types of bonding as well as hydrogen. Hydrogen bonding is very weak so why are fibrous proteins LESS sensitive to changes in temp and pH???
This is an impressive read about protein

http://www.gilbertling.org/lp6c.htm
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/gelatin.shtml
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
8.93%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.93%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.36%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
42.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.57%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads