The Student Room Group

I like a boy that previously cheated with one of our mutual (close) friends

I'm a first year sixth former. So I met this boy in September and I joined his friendship group, growing very close with one friend in particular. at the time he was dating a girl in the year above and I always saw us as just friends and then on a night out the girl from his friendship group told me that she knew he had been cheating on his girlfriend with a girl from our friendship group. I was sworn to secrecy and spent the next couple of months weary of this boy. about a month ago the boy and his gf split as she found out about the cheating. Over the past couple of weeks I have been talking to this boy and we have hooked up several times. I told him that I knew that he had cheated with our mutual friend. I am unsure what is going to become of us - like would it be appropriate to date him given the history? and I worry that I could not trust him... I really like him as we share similar interests e.g. we both love rowing and sailing. HELP!
Its fine to have fun with this guy but don't expect him to view dating as something sexually exclusive.
He has already shown that he is not interested in monogamy and having a girlfriend does not deterring him from hooking up with other girls.
I don't think what he is doing is cheating because dating does not have the same official status and automatic expectation of monogamy/sexual exclusivity as marriage or a civil partnership does.

But old habits die hard.
If he likes to hook up with several extra girls when he has a girlfriend, he will likely do that if you are his girlfriend.
If he likes to lie to his girlfriend about hooking up with other girls, then he will lie to you the same way if you are his girlfriend.
Sounds to me like you would be better off sticking to no strings or fwb with him and never expecting anything else.
That way you are both clear that there is no point lying or pretending to be in an exclusive relationship.

Quick Reply