is it possible to get a Grade 6 in Foundation maths?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Zara7867
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
ik the highest is a C but what is someone got 6O marks on all three papers on foundation wouldn't that be a Level 6
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I think the highest you can get on a foundation paper is a 5 I believe. I would've done foundation if you could get a 6 lol its so much easier than higher
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
The highest grade on the foundation papers is five. You'll have to sit the higher-tier papers if you wish to achieve anything above that.
elonmuskrat
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Easiest way to check is to look up the grade boundaries for your course last year. What exam board is it?
Divahar123
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
nope highest is 5
lingle-jones
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I believe the highest possible grade in a foundation paper is 5
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zara7867)
ik the highest is a C but what is someone got 6O marks on all three papers on foundation wouldn't that be a Level 6
the max you get on foundation is 5 if you want to get higher, you will have to sit on higher tier
Carbonx
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
The highest is 5. If you want to get 6-9 you have to be on higher tier.

Grades U / 1-5 -Foundation tier
Grades U/ 4-9 - Higher tier
ᴅ ᴀ ɴ ɪ ᴇ ʟ
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
You cannot achieve a grade 6 in Foundation as the Foundation tier is limited to a grade 5. If you want to achieve anything beyond a grade 5, you'll have to do higher tier because it allows you to access higher grades such as a grade 6/7/8/9.
Last edited by ᴅ ᴀ ɴ ɪ ᴇ ʟ; 2 years ago
idontkn
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Higher tier is better in my opinion as its graded 4-9 so just by sitting higher you already passed. But i heard from 2018 onwards grade 5 is a pass and not grade 4..
Compost
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by idontkn)
Higher tier is better in my opinion as its graded 4-9 so just by sitting higher you already passed.
You can still get a U at Higher Tier. Foundation will be a better option for candidates who will not get a 5.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Higher tier is better in my opinion as its graded 4-9 so just by sitting higher you already passed. But i heard from 2018 onwards grade 5 is a pass and not grade 4..
Untrue ...
username3434964
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Highest is a 5
Carbonx
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Nope... Grade 4 is a pass. Grade 4 is a C and grade 5 is something like a C*. BTW you can still fail higher tier.
METRIX64
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
No, Sorry.
Last edited by METRIX64; 1 week ago
METRIX64
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by METRIX64)
No, Sorry.
If possible, ask for higher paper and score at least 40%. 40% is grade 6.
EOData
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by METRIX64)
If possible, ask for higher paper and score at least 40%. 40% is grade 6.
The grade boundaries change with every exam. In Summer 2019 (the last normal exam season) you needed 108/240 for a grade 6 with Edexcel (the most popular Maths board) which is 45% but in another exam season it could be higher or lower.

Also, there is little point asking for a higher paper on the day. Firstly, if you haven't been studying the Higher content you're unlikely to do very well and and secondly changing at that point will cost the school over £100 so they're unlikely to say yes. Students need to put the effort in earlier and get moved to Higher in good time.
Last edited by EOData; 1 week ago
janefitzjane
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Sadly even full marks on foundation paper is only level 5. If you need a level 6 then ask to sit higher, but bear in mind it's much easier to fail higher, as it is a lot more difficult!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (13)
9.15%
Okay (42)
29.58%
A bit lacking (50)
35.21%
Not good at all (37)
26.06%

Watched Threads