The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE French 8658 Writing Paper 17 May 2019 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RazzzBerries
I’ve forgotten what Bonjour means fam.

Let’s ask @sqrt of 5

it means good morning
Lol sorry Razzz :jumphug:
I should probs be concentrating on other exams, but it's wound me up so much.
I’ve forgotten what Bonjour means fam.

Let’s ask @sqrt of 5
Original post by sqrt of 5
it means good morning

C’est une blague! 😂 Can you read @Stardom33’s post and clarify for us svp?
Original post by Stardom33
Lol sorry Razzz :jumphug:
I should probs be concentrating on other exams, but it's wound me up so much.

That’s OK!
I wish I knew the answer but I’m confused too lmao. I’ve asked sqrt of 5 for you, maybe they can help out :hugs:
Thanks!
He's just marked me down a grade lower because of it and not explained why! 😡
:mad2:
That’s OK!
I wish I knew the answer but I’m confused too lmao. I’ve asked sqrt of 5 for you, maybe they can help out :hugs:
C’est une blague! 😂 Can you read @Stardom33’s post and clarify for us svp?

Thanks!
He's just marked me down a grade lower because of it and not explained why! 😡
:mad2:

c'est or c'était is used to describe an object so when you're describing an object since it doesnt have a gender you use the masculine form. at least thats what ive been taught
That's what I did...
But he said if you are describing a feminine object, you still use a feminine adjective with c'est or c'était, which I think is wrong. If I have a feminine object, then should I use elle est or elle était to make the adjective agree? Or just leave it?
This was one of the sentences:
Ce que je déteste, c'est que c'est toujours ennuyeux (talking about une histoire (which is feminine)). He said ennuyeux had to be ennuyeuse?
c'est or c'était is used to describe an object so when you're describing an object since it doesnt have a gender you use the masculine form. at least thats what ive been taught
That's what I did...
But he said if you are describing a feminine object, you still use a feminine adjective with c'est or c'était, which I think is wrong. If I have a feminine object, then should I use elle est or elle était to make the adjective agree? Or just leave it?
This was one of the sentences:
Ce que je déteste, c'est que c'est toujours ennuyeux (talking about une histoire (which is feminine)). He said ennuyeux had to be ennuyeuse?

ce que je déteste c'est qu'elle est toujour enneyeuse i think thats the right way to say it
Yeah- I realised that afterwards, but he put on the sheet that the adjective needs changing. 🤔
Should I just change them to elle est or elle était if feminine then.
Thanks.
ce que je déteste c'est qu'elle est toujour enneyeuse i think thats the right way to say it
Yeah- I realised that afterwards, but he put on the sheet that the adjective needs changing. 🤔
Should I just change them to elle est or elle était if feminine then.
Thanks.

you could have said: la chose que je désteste c'est qu'elle est enneyeuse
Ahhh yh, that makes a lot more sense.
Tysm for all of your help, I hope that I don't get demarked for it in the real GCSE exams, but it will be useful if I decide on French A levels. 😄
c'est means it is right? and c'etait means it was? or am i stupid
Original post by Dhini

Nope, you're good. :yep:
You are technically right, but it can also mean 'he is' or 'he was' (I think). For example, you would say: C'est mon frère, as appose to Il est mon frère, but it still means he is my brother. It's complicated, but I don't think you get demarked for it (unless you have my teacher 😠😡).
We were just debating about which adjectives go where, but I understand now.
And I can correct my teacher 😄😂
Original post by Dhini
You are technically right, but it can also mean 'he is' or 'he was' (I think). For example, you would say: C'est mon frère, as appose to Il est mon frère, but it still means he is my brother. It's complicated, but I don't think you get demarked for it (unless you have my teacher 😠😡).
We were just debating about which adjectives go where, but I understand now.
And I can correct my teacher 😄😂

c'est means 'it is', il est and elle est both mean 'it is' it's what you put after that matters
I do Edexcel and I would like to do French for a level. I really enjoy it, hence the choice of pursuing it in the future. nonetheless, the exam was crap especially the listening but the reading wasn't too bad nor the writing.

hope I still do well and good luck to all future people reading this
:biggrin: French A-Level club, we need to make a nationwide chat or something, there arent a lot of us taking it unfortunatly :frown:
Original post by emilykatecarv
I do Edexcel and I would like to do French for a level. I really enjoy it, hence the choice of pursuing it in the future. nonetheless, the exam was crap especially the listening but the reading wasn't too bad nor the writing.

hope I still do well and good luck to all future people reading this
I know!!! French is the best subject and its sad how its becoming less popular!!
Original post by SuspiciousDuck
:biggrin: French A-Level club, we need to make a nationwide chat or something, there arent a lot of us taking it unfortunatly :frown:
Attachment not found

Graphs like this really sadden me but make me determined to promote french as a subject, especially with the current world shortage of translators for UK english, normally i would have never ever considered going into teaching but i feel so strongly about it im considering becoming a french teacher.
Original post by emilykatecarv
I know!!! French is the best subject and its sad how its becoming less popular!!
Uj

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending