The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE French 8658 Speaking Exams 2019

Bonjour mes amies :biggrin:

This is place to share your tips for the AQA GCSE French Speaking Exams and discuss the content. Since schools should have completed all speaking exams, we should be able to talk about them now! :gthumb:
I hope y'all found them OK :yep:

Bonne chance! :rave:

@Evil Homer, please add this to the list when you get a chance!
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Guys if you need any help or tips let me know :smile: french is the only subject I can actually do without any problems lol
I am confidently firming a U in french
Do you lose marks for asking repete sil vous plait in the role play
When is the exam
No as long as you don't ask it too many times... Also you are allowed to prep the roleplay beforehand so i don't see any reason why you need to ask that for the roleplay? But if you need to ask it in the general conversation or photocard unseen question then you wont lose marks
Original post by oliviaia
Reply 6
Original post by Oxford Mum
When is the exam

Depends on your school. But the deadline for submitting it is 20 May, I think. So the speaking exam can be anywhere between March to May.
Original post by sqrt of 5
Guys if you need any help or tips let me know :smile: french is the only subject I can actually do without any problems lol

Yay, I will let you know :lol: :hugs:

Original post by Dodgy_Bangout101

You are not! Keep going over grammar and sentence forming and you will at the very least pass. :yep:

Original post by oliviaia

Asking once may actually gain you marks as you're asking questions, but repeatedly is a no.

Original post by Oxford Mum
When is the exam

As @Anthos explained very well, see below. :thumbsup:
Mine specifically is the 30th.
Original post by Dodgy_Bangout101

dm if you need any help :wink:
dm if you need any help :wink:

Oui, bien sûr!

Hey,

If you can't think/remember an answer for a question, what's the best way to avoid it? Would you jusy give a short answer and try and move on quickly?
Original post by Incarcarus
Hey,

If you can't think/remember an answer for a question, what's the best way to avoid it? Would you jusy give a short answer and try and move on quickly?

if you're talking about the speaking yes. i told my teacher i didn't want to do the environment and he decided to ask me one question about it and i quickly replied with a very short answer.; but make sure you at least say a full sentence instead of oui or no
I am a year 9 student studying French as a GCSE. I think that speaking is the hardest part, we've just started preparing our Oral answers for the exam! Please share any advice :smile:
Reply 13
as soon as you’ve written your final version of your answers, start learning them! it may seem stupid to start learning them so soon, but with all the extra time you’re giving yourself you’ll know them perfectly by the time you get to your speaking exam, and it’ll be one less thing to worry about in yr11! I’m doing my French speaking exam in just under two weeks, good luck to everyone who’s still gotta do there’s this year!
Original post by Õpilane
I am a year 9 student studying French as a GCSE. I think that speaking is the hardest part, we've just started preparing our Oral answers for the exam! Please share any advice :smile:
Original post by elob24
as soon as you’ve written your final version of your answers, start learning them! it may seem stupid to start learning them so soon, but with all the extra time you’re giving yourself you’ll know them perfectly by the time you get to your speaking exam, and it’ll be one less thing to worry about in yr11! I’m doing my French speaking exam in just under two weeks, good luck to everyone who’s still gotta do there’s this year!

Thanks for the advice! There's going to be a lot to learn so I think that's a really good idea :smile: Good luck with your exams, you'll be awesome!
Some advice given in a slightly humorous way, emphasis on the slightly.

I wonder if my teacher will let me wear a silly wig while I do my exam.
Reply 16
haha i will DIE i get so nervous speaking and theres no way i can change my whole personality by now because the orals are like next week

SOMEONE REASSURE ME I AM FREAKING THE **** OUT im really good at french but when it comes to speaking my minds like you know what nah lol
Reply 17
Original post by bika
haha i will DIE i get so nervous speaking and theres no way i can change my whole personality by now because the orals are like next week

SOMEONE REASSURE ME I AM FREAKING THE **** OUT im really good at french but when it comes to speaking my minds like you know what nah lol

Relax, and don't let the nerves take over; let the language take over. Je sais que tu vas reussir :biggrin:
(edited 4 years ago)
Just know you don’t have to get it all correct to get a good mark. Just learn your situational phrases and other favourite phrases. Bonne chance xxx
hey! i did mine last year, and did pretty well, thankfully.

for me, i started to really work hard for my french speaking near about this time (maybe a month before the actual exam).

i found these really help. you might think it's a bit late fore some of these, but if you're doing it spontaneously (the general convo), these will really help.

> Learn structures you can adapt to any question. You should learn about 20 of these complex structures, which you can slot in to really impress the examiner. You don't need to use them all, but it would be very good to have many to adapt, only for your GC and photocard though. For example, pour ______, il faut que je fasse.....
> Think in French. This sound stupid, but when asked a question and you think in French as opposed to in English, it allows you to say only what you are capable of. Your mind, when thinking of English, has a general tendency to over complicate things, and you just don't know how to say things like that in French.
> Idioms. Learn a good few idioms, one or two per major topic. e.g. Il pleut comme vauches qui pissent, faire un tabac, avoir du pot. These help you sound native, apparently
> Idk if this will help you, but with me, I asked my teacher if I could chew gum in the exam. This helped relax my jaws and helped my pronunciation for words and helped me feel more at ease in general
> Lean sophisticated vocab. Literally go online and search words, 1 or two, for each major topic that will make the examiner go Whoa
> Practice with friends
> Learn time-consuming techniques. These will buy you some time to formulate a response. For example, what an interesting question! or I have never thought about that, hmm (obviously in French).

Quick Reply

Latest