Bristol vs Birmingham?

Watch this thread
thomasandrew2000
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've received offers to study maths at both Birmingham and Bristol but I don't know which to pick.

I've heard that Bristol is a lovely city uni but I haven't actually visited there. I've been to Birmingham and the campus is a really nice place but apart from the bullring in the city, I'm not sure what else there really is...it seems a bit decrepit.

Reputation-wise, is Bristol really that much better? I think it is way more internationally renown but again I'm not so sure. Are both their maths department essentially at the same level?

Most of Bristol's accommodation is also about ~2 miles away and I was wondering if this is easy enough to take a bus there. Basically what does everyone feel about these two unis and cities?

*If i could get a maths pov as well that would be useful. Thanks
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
TSR guide to Firm/Insurance choices here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...urance-choices

Bristol (ie. Birmingham doesn't have any of this) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khM7tjui86Q
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by thomasandrew2000)
I've received offers to study maths at both Birmingham and Bristol but I don't know which to pick.

I've heard that Bristol is a lovely city uni but I haven't actually visited there. I've been to Birmingham and the campus is a really nice place but apart from the bullring in the city, I'm not sure what else there really is...it seems a bit decrepit.

Reputation-wise, is Bristol really that much better? I think it is way more internationally renown but again I'm not so sure. Are both their maths department essentially at the same level?

Most of Bristol's accommodation is also about ~2 miles away and I was wondering if this is easy enough to take a bus there. Basically what does everyone feel about these two unis and cities?

*If i could get a maths pov as well that would be useful. Thanks
Bristol is a nicer city than Birmingham by quite some way in my opinion, and the uni also has a better reputation (overall and for maths). To sum up, I would pick Bristol
HobbinsE
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Everything is quite spread out at Bristol and very much integrated into the city where as at Birmingham it’s all together on campus. It’s going to come down to wanting a city or a campus feel at university. I’m torn between these 2 universities as well but for palaeontology.
happytobehere
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I haven’t looked much into Bristol uni myself, but I’m from Bristol and it’s a really lovely city and place to live. It has a bit of everything mixed into it and it’s very community-based. I might be biased, but even if you don’t decide on Bristol please do come and visit haha
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by HobbinsE)
Everything is quite spread out at Bristol and very much integrated into the city where as at Birmingham it’s all together on campus. It’s going to come down to wanting a city or a campus feel at university. I’m torn between these 2 universities as well but for palaeontology.
It's true that Birmingham has a nice campus which is very convenient for the first year. But what about the subsequent years when you're living in the dump that is Selly Oak with rising damp in your bedroom, a high crime rate and a council who keep going on strike and not collecting the rubbish for weeks on end?
happytobehere
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Also, most student accommodation is in the city centre. There is a bus straight through the centre to the uni so it’s pretty easy to get there
HobbinsE
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
It's true that Birmingham has a nice campus which is very convenient for the first year. But what about the subsequent years when you're living in the dump that is Selly Oak with rising damp in your bedroom, a high crime rate and a council who keep going on strike and not collecting the rubbish for weeks on end?
Lucky for me I live close enough to go back home after first year if I wanted to but the crime rate in the area is definitely a valid concern and one of the things that puts me off Birmingham tbh.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (223)
42.31%
The paper was reasonable (226)
42.88%
Not feeling great about that exam... (48)
9.11%
It was TERRIBLE (30)
5.69%

Watched Threads