Technology destroying jobs?

Watch
GodAtum
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
There has been a lot of debate over the years about technology and even AI robots destroying jobs. But IMO tech creates jobs that have never existed before ... look at the new business areas and jobs of drone technology, robot maintenance, developers etc. So yes tech does get rid of some jobs, but replaces them with new ones.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GodAtum)
There has been a lot of debate over the years about technology and even AI robots destroying jobs. But IMO tech creates jobs that have never existed before ... look at the new business areas and jobs of drone technology, robot maintenance, developers etc. So yes tech does get rid of some jobs, but replaces them with new ones.
It does create new jobs. But i think it gets rid of more jobs than it creates.
Sin Nombre
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
IntiallIy it will create jobs. Then eventually take jobs. No job should be assumed to be immune.
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GodAtum)
How many developers and maintenance workers do you need? It's probably far fewer employees than when you were doing it the old fashioned way.

Look at Netflix for example, and compare the number of people in their head office to all those who were employed by Blockbuster in all the video rental shops. Similarly for banks, shops, ticket offices, public transport - all these things are changing because of automation and there's no guarantee of new employment being created.
Ikeo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jameswhughes)
How many developers and maintenance workers do you need? It's probably far fewer employees than when you were doing it the old fashioned way.

Look at Netflix for example, and compare the number of people in their head office to all those who were employed by Blockbuster in all the video rental shops. Similarly for banks, shops, ticket offices, public transport - all these things are changing because of automation and there's no guarantee of new employment being created.
Exactly, and even if more jobs involved in developing and maintaining the technology come about, what's to say that the people who would originally be working the jobs that have been taken over would want to actually become employeed jn the new jobs?

There is an entirely different skill set and unfortunately likely one that some cannot handle.
for_real_though
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What are people expecting? Do you just want to stop technology from progressing? Technology takes people jobs because they do a better job than humans ever can! The only way to live in the future will be to adapt, start businesses or learn how to develop and program or maintain machines so that you can still have a job. Few people I can think of off the top of my head, whose livelihood will be affected are Taxi/Vehicle drivers with self-driving cars/vehicles taking over.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (58)
28.86%
No - I have already returned home (24)
11.94%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (46)
22.89%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (20)
9.95%
No - I live at home during term anyway (53)
26.37%

Watched Threads