The Student Room Group
imstuck
Hi, is there anyone here who has applied or is applying for Natural Sciences and has had some relevant work experience??? If so, where? Im trying to arrange something but am having difficulty coming up with ideas! :rolleyes:

Are you applying for 2006 enty?
Reply 2
i really wouldn't worry, most unis don't expect scientists to have done any necessary work experience as most research groups won't take school students.

as long as u hav done some work experience in any area at some point to show you know the meaning of work, then that's absolutely fine!
Reply 3
I didn't have any work experience.

However if you want some, a good bet seems to be to just email every major pharmaceutical company or lab you can think of and ask them!
I emailed the Cavendish and they took me for a week - it was great. The work was so interesting, I got to see the place and I met really nice people and still keep in touch with some of them.
hitchhiker_13
I emailed the Cavendish and they took me for a week - it was great. The work was so interesting, I got to see the place and I met really nice people and still keep in touch with some of them.

Cavendish at cambridge?
darkenergy
Cavendish at cambridge?

Yes.
cool, was it difficult to get? I did think of doing NatSci (Physics), but decided to do medicine instead.... but luckily I got an offer from Warwick for MPhys
darkenergy
cool, was it difficult to get? I did think of doing NatSci (Physics), but decided to do medicine instead.... but luckily I got an offer from Warwick for MPhys

No not really. I emailed the head (Malcolm Longhair,I think) and it was passed on to the outreach programme head or something, and he was head of one of the PCS groups so I worked with them.
Reply 9
If it makes you feel any better, Cambridge at least couldn't care less if you had work experience for Natural Sciences.
Reply 10
I got a Nuffield Scholarship to work at the John Innes Centre for four weeks in the summer before starting A2. I did apply for Natural Sciences (Biological) at Cambridge but was rejected, so I don't think work experience was really a key issue with them. :smile: The work experience, though, may have helped in my application for my five remaining choices for Biology, which I got offers for.

I would recommend work experience in a lab etc. just for the enjoyment of being able to do some real lab work, but I don't think it's necessary for your application.

Latest

Trending

Trending