The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

How much better does St Andrews look to an employer?

Hi there,
I've currently applied to both Manchester and st Andrews and I really can't decide between them. My course is physics and maths, the teaching seems better at st Andrews. I'm a social guy and am going to uni to have fun as well as getting a degree, so how much difference to my employ-ability will st Andrews make as opposed to Manchester. I've visited both and manchester definitely has the better nightlife, and I don't know whether I'll enjoy myself for 4 years at st andys, but I'd be more willing to try if it made a big difference.

I appreciate any help, as this is such a huge decision and I don't know how I'm going to make it.
I think Manchester has a lot more employers nearby... and a huge careers fair.

You might get a reputation bonus from STA in certain business sectors... but overall I think very few monkeys are given by most of them these days.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Depends on what you want out of your university experience really...

I'd argue Manchester and St Andrews are very similar from a reputation standpoint, however in the last few years, St Andrews has increasingly done better in the more competitive employment sectors - finance, consulting etc (especially in the major firms, Goldman, BAML)

That said, the nightlife and social scene is obviously 10x better at Manchester than it is in St Andrews so if that's your main point, go there instead
(edited 4 years ago)
It doesn't really matter which University has the best reputation etc at Undergraduate level.
you can't compare the two socially tbh. Manchester has the #1 conventional nightlife in the UK, whereas St Andrews (where I went) has a really unique community that isn't replicated anywhere else. Look up traditions like Raisin Weekend, May Dip, Gaudie and Kate Kennedy. if things like that sound like bollox to you then go with Manch.

It difficult to call on reputation because employers will clearly know that at St Andrews you are at a very selective university (and you will meet loads of Americans who you can network with, lots of people with rich daddies lol) whereas Manchester clearly has a history of nobel prize winners etc and strong research etc.

every one of my job interviewers started off with "ooh St Andrews, very nice." but ultimately you don't get jobs without strong work experience which is a far more important factor.
Original post by Harrytilston
Hi there,
I've currently applied to both Manchester and st Andrews and I really can't decide between them. My course is physics and maths, the teaching seems better at st Andrews. I'm a social guy and am going to uni to have fun as well as getting a degree, so how much difference to my employ-ability will st Andrews make as opposed to Manchester. I've visited both and manchester definitely has the better nightlife, and I don't know whether I'll enjoy myself for 4 years at st andys, but I'd be more willing to try if it made a big difference.

I appreciate any help, as this is such a huge decision and I don't know how I'm going to make it.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest