The Student Room Group

2 months no period and unprotected sex

Hi I used to have regular period every month but with the passing away of my Dad and Grandad I was too stress that it resulted to delay my period. My last period started 10 Feb 2019 and lasted for 4 or 5 days I think. It’s almost like 2 months of no period for me. Last night me and my new partner had unprotected sex but he didn’t come inside me. What are the chances for me to get pregnant? Any suggestions please on what I can do or take? I know it’s silly not using condom and I haven’t had contraception before so this is something I need to research about. Also I’m 25 but I don’t wanna get pregnant yet. Thank you in advance wonderful people
Go to the pharmacy and get a morning after pill
Original post by Mfa13
Hi I used to have regular period every month but with the passing away of my Dad and Grandad I was too stress that it resulted to delay my period. My last period started 10 Feb 2019 and lasted for 4 or 5 days I think. It’s almost like 2 months of no period for me. Last night me and my new partner had unprotected sex but he didn’t come inside me. What are the chances for me to get pregnant? Any suggestions please on what I can do or take? I know it’s silly not using condom and I haven’t had contraception before so this is something I need to research about. Also I’m 25 but I don’t wanna get pregnant yet. Thank you in advance wonderful people

Speak to a pharmacist tomorrow. Out of curiosity why did you have unprotected sex if you don't want a pregnancy?
Just going to start off with the disclaimer that although I have some knowledge in this area, I'm not a doctor, don't know your circumstances and therefore this should not be taken in lieu of professional advice. In other words, go see a professional if at all possible.

There are 2 main types of 'morning after pill' in use in the UK, ellaOne and Levonelle. ellaOne can be taken up to 5 days after unprotected sex, while Levonelle should be taken within 72 hours. They should also be available free of charge from sexual health clinics, and may also be given out by your GP or pharmacy. If none of these options are feasible, you are also able to buy them directly from the pharmacy for around £30 each. Taken properly, these are around 95% effective.

An alternative option is to have an IUD fitted. This is more effective than the pills, around 99%, but must be fitted by a professional and may cause some discomfort. It can then be left in as regular, non-emergency contraception or removed by a doctor after your period.

Most of this information can be sourced from the NHS website here https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/contraception/where-can-i-get-emergency-contraception/, and there are a few other useful links there too.

Note that while the risk of pregnancy is low from this specific instance, if you don't want to be pregnant it would be prudent to use emergency contraception anyway in order to minimise the risks. You may also wish to be checked for STIs, regardless of how much you trust your partner, as there is always a risk of infections they were unaware of.
Reply 4
Risk is low without ejaculation. Go and get some advice from GP or pharmacist.
I'm really sorry to hear what you're going through. That sounds horrible. If you haven't already done so I'd have a chat to your doctor about what's going on - you could also talk to them about contraception too. Things will get better but you are only human, so getting some extra support and help is worth doing. :smile:

So do get along to the pharmacy today for advice. Pregnancy even without male ejaculation during penetrative sex is possible, so I would go ahead and take whatever emergency contraception is recommended by you pharmacist. Don't wait - get out and get it done before noon. If you also book a doctors appointment today you'll feel good.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Hi JTfoxlove,

Thank you very much for your reply. I was already getting ready to head out to the pharmacy and get the emergency contraception but turns out I got my period today. Is it still worth buying the £33 emergency pill or disregard it as I have my 1st day of period today?
Original post by JTfoxlove
I'm really sorry to hear what you're going through. That sounds horrible. If you haven't already done so I'd have a chat to your doctor about what's going on - you could also talk to them about contraception too. Things will get better but you are only human, so getting some extra support and help is worth doing. :smile:

So do get along to the pharmacy today for advice. Pregnancy even without male ejaculation during penetrative sex is possible, so I would go ahead and take whatever emergency contraception is recommended by you pharmacist. Don't wait - get out and get it done before noon. If you also book a doctors appointment today you'll feel good.
Reply 7
This is very informative for me. Thank you. I am literally getting ready today to go to pharmacy to get the pill but then noticed that I’ve got blood so its my first day of period. Should I still worry about it or should I not since it’s my first day of period.
Original post by The_Icy_One
Just going to start off with the disclaimer that although I have some knowledge in this area, I'm not a doctor, don't know your circumstances and therefore this should not be taken in lieu of professional advice. In other words, go see a professional if at all possible.

There are 2 main types of 'morning after pill' in use in the UK, ellaOne and Levonelle. ellaOne can be taken up to 5 days after unprotected sex, while Levonelle should be taken within 72 hours. They should also be available free of charge from sexual health clinics, and may also be given out by your GP or pharmacy. If none of these options are feasible, you are also able to buy them directly from the pharmacy for around £30 each. Taken properly, these are around 95% effective.

An alternative option is to have an IUD fitted. This is more effective than the pills, around 99%, but must be fitted by a professional and may cause some discomfort. It can then be left in as regular, non-emergency contraception or removed by a doctor after your period.

Most of this information can be sourced from the NHS website here https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/contraception/where-can-i-get-emergency-contraception/, and there are a few other useful links there too.

Note that while the risk of pregnancy is low from this specific instance, if you don't want to be pregnant it would be prudent to use emergency contraception anyway in order to minimise the risks. You may also wish to be checked for STIs, regardless of how much you trust your partner, as there is always a risk of infections they were unaware of.
Original post by Mfa13
This is very informative for me. Thank you. I am literally getting ready today to go to pharmacy to get the pill but then noticed that I’ve got blood so its my first day of period. Should I still worry about it or should I not since it’s my first day of period.

You should definitely still speak to a pharmacist, worst case you waste about an hour of your time, best case you prevent an unwanted pregnancy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending