The referendum Watch

ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
What primals exactly do you think we're going to struggle to sell? I doubt there's a large demand for pig trotters in Germany, China maybe but not Germany.
It isn't about whether someone will buy or not. It comes down to how much they will pay, are there any restrictions and how much extra does it cost to transport. Do you really think China is going to offer a better deal than Germany? To say nothing of language and cultural differences.
Tarantula man
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
We already do. Our farms are some of the most efficient in the world. How about that? However it has been several hundred years since we were self sufficient. It isn't going to happen any time soon. And Brexit is going to shaft our farmers as the European market for the cuts of meat Brits don't want will be closed meaning British grown meat becomes more expensive or simply totally unviable.
It's all a maybe. If things like meat get too expensive we don't buy
They can't afford to price themselves out of the market. We have a whole world to export too . Maybe some probs at the beginning. But we will be ok. If you were Germany or France etc
Would you want to stop trading with uk?? I don't think so. Sort the trading out after we leave. On our terms!!
Tarantula man
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tarantula man)
It's all a maybe. If things like meat get too expensive we don't buy
They can't afford to price themselves out of the market. We have a whole world to export too . Maybe some probs at the beginning. But we will be ok. If you were Germany or France etc
Would you want to stop trading with uk?? I don't think so. Sort the trading out after we leave. On our terms!!
And we get our fishing grounds back!! I see big sign now.
KEEP OUT EU
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
None of the fields in my relatives Lincolnshire farm are laid fallow. That is what fertiliser is for. And my mate works as a process engineer in the dog food business. Any cut is not acceptable as the process requires consistency in terms of fat and water content.
I don’t fancy arguing the toss over farming methods with you.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Tarantula man
Rep:
?
I think we can safely say farmers know what they doing.
(Original post by paul514)
I don’t fancy arguing the toss over farming methods with you.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It isn't about whether someone will buy or not. It comes down to how much they will pay, are there any restrictions and how much extra does it cost to transport. Do you really think China is going to offer a better deal than Germany? To say nothing of language and cultural differences.
Not what I said, I said there would not be a demand for pigs trotters in Germany, nothing to do with China paying a higher price.

Look mate I confess you're knowledge of Farming may outstrip mine, however certainly not meat. There is not going to be any mass problem with getting rid of meat, particularly when we need to produce more food. What primals are you speaking of that you think we will have to bin, waste?

On the farming side @paul514 is right feilds are rested to increase productivity and reduce reduce diseases like potato blight for example, I'm also right that farmers claim our money for doing naff all with feilds, However you are right that that does not have to be the case and there are ways and means of bring more productive. Removing that rest a feild subsidiary not only reduce taxpayers expenses but encourage more farmers to act like your Leicestershire Farm. I know quite a few Leicestershire farmers, I would not say friends but acquaintances as a by product of my hobby - fishing.
Last edited by Burton Bridge; 1 month ago
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We already do. Our farms are some of the most efficient in the world. How about that? However it has been several hundred years since we were self sufficient. It isn't going to happen any time soon. And Brexit is going to shaft our farmers as the European market for the cuts of meat Brits don't want will be closed meaning British grown meat becomes more expensive or simply totally unviable.
Still you want... I want. Won a cup 3 yrs ago on 16-17 and the world must acknowledge you still as... *****? All your rhetoric... most Brits want this, most Brits want that but still you cack your britches at the prospect of actually asking them.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There is not going to be any mass problem with getting rid of meat, particularly when we need to produce more food.
Oh I completely agree. But UK consumers are not suddenly switch from prime cuts of beef to ofal even if it is to support British farmers. My point is that farmers will get a lower price either because they have to ship their products further or because those products will incur tarrifs. Either way, it is lose lose.

This will also be the case for businesses across Britain. Only those who are exveedingly savy or can affort to pay fixers in far away lands stand to significantly benefit. The simple fact is that doing business in the EU is really easy. All you have to do is agree a price and that is generally done in English. I wouldn't know where to start if I were to try and set up in Ibdia. For a start, I am going to have to shell out £600 on an airfare.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh I completely agree. But UK consumers are not suddenly switch from prime cuts of beef to ofal even if it is to support British farmers. My point is that farmers will get a lower price either because they have to ship their products further or because those products will incur tarrifs. Either way, it is lose lose.

This will also be the case for businesses across Britain. Only those who are exveedingly savy or can affort to pay fixers in far away lands stand to significantly benefit. The simple fact is that doing business in the EU is really easy. All you have to do is agree a price and that is generally done in English. I wouldn't know where to start if I were to try and set up in Ibdia. For a start, I am going to have to shell out £600 on an airfare.
Will that may be true in-part, however speaking of somebody who deals with imported EU food regularly believe transactions and paper work in English is not always the case, well not from Italy anyway I can assure you that first-hand. Transportation costs is something that businesses incur anyway it always amazes me that I can get me a USB lead posted to my house for about 2 quid from Hong kong, when I can't send a small parcel to Derby for less than 3 quid without the cost of the product included.

Anyway I am babbling off topic, regarding the meat side of things it doesn't need to be that way, there's no shortage of outlets to sell the cheaper cuts of meat, on the contrary it's the more expensive cuts of meat that are the problem to get rid of, this is due the fact you can downgrade meat but never upgrade it. To explain what I'm saying at base level, fillet steak is fillet steak, you can't take a slice of the salmon cut and because it looks similar sell it is fillet steak because it simply would not eat right, they're going to say that it was the worst fillet that ever. On the flip side, if you was trying to sell somebody braising steak then you could happily sell them a more expensive cut you may want rid off for whatever reason and the customer will get a product that will eat lovely and be happy.

The meat trade is now more national than the traditional shop, while we've got wealth in the country we won't have the issue of getting rid of expensive cuts which you admit, it's the cheaper cuts you speak of. Well I can assure you there is literally hundreds of things that you can do with them, from making curries mincemeat, stir fries, ready meals, we have people struggle to buy food in the country. We need to encourage manufacturering not move it over seas! That's part of the leave arugement
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Vinny C)
Still you want... I want. Won a cup 3 yrs ago on 16-17 and the world must acknowledge you still as... *****? All your rhetoric... most Brits want this, most Brits want that but still you cack your britches at the prospect of actually asking them.
You are literally just talking rubbish on every thread, ByEeek is more a remainer than you are!

On ever thread you are just literally copy pasting the same nonsense, claiming self brillance, making false accusations and insulting people, you're mask has slipped - troll
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We need to encourage manufacturering not move it over seas! That's part of the leave arugement
Agreed. But as a realist people in Britain are on the whole faddy. You are not going to sell the pigs heads anytime soon no matter how close the breadline they may be. And manufacturers can't use any old meat for reasons of customer demand, taste and consistency.

But the thing I find sad is that you are trying to solve a problem that currently doesn't exist. However, come hard Brexit this will be one of literally thousands or even tens of thousands of problems that need to be solved. And most of those problems are going to cost you and I thousands to fix over many many years. Why bother. We are not going to have it better than we have now.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You are not going to sell the pigs heads anytime soon
I bet you have eat loads of them, what do you think is in sausages? Particularly the white overprocessed horrible branded ones like Walls or Richmond.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I bet you have eat loads of them, what do you think is in sausages? Particularly the white overprocessed horrible branded ones like Walls or Richmond.
Like most Brits I like a sausage. And like many Brits I avoid the cheap [email protected] ones.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Like most Brits I like a sausage. And like many Brits I avoid the cheap [email protected] ones.
we have something in common I'm a sausage snob, that could be read wrong in another mind set . Seriously though you would be surprised where head meat turns up and I bet I could make a sausage which included head meat you would love, well dunno about that I've been out of trade a while now, but you get my point Its also surprising how people eat with their eyes, many look for beef to look overly red or sausage to look white because its what's been subliminally programmed into them. As a rule if you can't see blotches of ingredients under the sausage skin avoid it.

There is a problem that needs solving ByEeek, leaving the EU is about creating a future for ourselves, investing in ourselves and not continuing with the Maggie creation that has done vast damage, like almost all of her creations!

I'm not going to steal Tony Benn words, I'll let the man speak himself. In my eyes the greatest political figure that never made PM, right man wrong time in his Labour Premiership.

https://youtu.be/DFlrA01OOqs

If you 2ant change, first they ignore you, then they attack you, then they imprison you and then you win and they claim it was their idea all along! Brexit is going to be hard work everything worthwhile is.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You are literally just talking rubbish on every thread, ByEeek is more a remainer than you are!

On ever thread you are just literally copy pasting the same nonsense, claiming self brillance, making false accusations and insulting people, you're mask has slipped - troll
No... you have talked rubbish and lies for 3 yrs... and we are fed up with it. Strange how we were all remoaners and traitors when you thugs had the upper hand. Now... you are strangely silent! Cowards!
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Vinny C)
No... you have talked rubbish and lies for 3 yrs... and we are fed up with it. Strange how we were all remoaners and traitors when you thugs had the upper hand. Now... you are strangely silent! Cowards!
Copy paste - check
Insults - check
false allegations - check
Nonsense - check
Claim of self brillance - missing

I'm doing a lot of typing for a man who's silent you keep proving me right. I've quoted leaver Tony Benn, now I'll quote a remainer

“I will forgive no-one who does not accept the sovereign voice of the British people once it has spoken, whether it is by 1% or 20%.”

— Paddy Ashdown, speaking as votes were being counted for the referendum (and when Remain were projected to win)
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Copy paste - check
Insults - check
Nonsense - check

I'm doing a lot of typing for a man who's silent you keep proving me right. I've quoted leaver Tony Benn, now I'll quote a remainer

“I will forgive no-one who does not accept the sovereign voice of the British people once it has spoken, whether it is by 1% or 20%.”

— Paddy Ashdown, speaking as votes were being counted for the referendum (and when Remain were projected to win)
Rofl... ERG sold us a broken pup... you gave them a poisoned chalice in return. No government could sort this out! Sovereign voice, lol. Why so afraid and cacking your britches now we know we were sold false promises?
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Copy paste - check
Insults - check
Nonsense - check

5 leavers ragging my heels... loser, moaner. Now they are on the backfoot... nothing! Not one... They threaten violence but if no longer on the winning side... they have no balls! I don't even need to get out my big stick.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by harryg135)
America also has poor food hygiene standards compared to the EU, which they will expect us to incorporate in return for a trade deal. A trade deal that is necessary for frictionless trade of these life saving drugs.

If you like chlorine-washed chicken and pork washed with lactic acid, both methods which are less effective than our current method, then sure.
We already do import American food. The main barrier to trade in meet products is distance and cost, with the latter being affected by tariffs.

Some American meat products are among the best in the world: beef exports to Europe from the US have been increasing steadily, for example. Ultimately if there are particular standards that consumers want, they can decide that for themselves: free trade does not supplant one product for another, it creates competition. I, for one, have never had any concerns eating pork or chicken when I'm in the United States and I don't think the vast majority of Brits would.

Chlorinated chicken is the hardcore Remainers' bendy bananas. The European Food Safety Authority has said it is perfectly safe. Once you point this out, the response is usually "oh, but there are other practices..." - if that is the case, raise them rather than a perfectly safe practice that is clearly only being mention to deceive people with something that sounds vaguely unpleasant and artificial from a marketing perspective.
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by L i b)
We already do import American food. The main barrier to trade in meet products is distance and cost, with the latter being affected by tariffs.

Some American meat products are among the best in the world: beef exports to Europe from the US have been increasing steadily, for example. Ultimately if there are particular standards that consumers want, they can decide that for themselves: free trade does not supplant one product for another, it creates competition. I, for one, have never had any concerns eating pork or chicken when I'm in the United States and I don't think the vast majority of Brits would.

Chlorinated chicken is the hardcore Remainers' bendy bananas. The European Food Safety Authority has said it is perfectly safe. Once you point this out, the response is usually "oh, but there are other practices..." - if that is the case, raise them rather than a perfectly safe practice that is clearly only being mention to deceive people with something that sounds vaguely unpleasant and artificial from a marketing perspective.
Like a commentator that I was watching recently said we wash pre packaged salad in chlorine and no one bats an eyelid
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (32)
25.2%
The paper was reasonable (47)
37.01%
Not feeling great about that exam... (23)
18.11%
It was TERRIBLE (25)
19.69%

Watched Threads