Hania31
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello, I've just graduated from my Uni in the south of France. I want to study in England or in Scotland. I know I don't need A Levels to study there, but I want to get them, because that would give me a better chance to be accepted.
I want to take maths, and psychology, I don't know which one I'm going to take as a third subject. However, i'm planning to take them in May/June 2020 so I have time to study. My question is when will I be able to go to Uni ? In September 2020 or September 2021? The sooner the better. Do you need to take AS level as well or just the A level will do.
Thanks !
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There is absolutely zero need for you to do A-levels. It will not give you a better chance of being accepted.

Hundreds of French students get into UK universities every year after studying the French curriculum.

Studying A-levels, and thus going back to the 16-18 educational level would be a complete waste of time (and might well cause universities to be very confused by your application).
Hania31
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, thanks for your answer. I wanted to try to sit A levels because I only got 13/20 at the French baccalaureat and probably around the same for my bachelor degree (I haven't got my grades back yet) and most unis in the UK require at least 14-16. I thought that if I obtained good grades at A Level they would reconsider my application.
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
There is absolutely zero need for you to do A-levels. It will not give you a better chance of being accepted.

Hundreds of French students get into UK universities every year after studying the French curriculum.

Studying A-levels, and thus going back to the 16-18 educational level would be a complete waste of time (and might well cause universities to be very confused by your application).
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hania31)
Hi, thanks for your answer. I wanted to try to sit A levels because I only got 13/20 at the French baccalaureat and probably around the same for my bachelor degree (I haven't got my grades back yet) and most unis in the UK require at least 14-16. I thought that if I obtained good grades at A Level they would reconsider my application.
I can't say for sure, but I really don't think it would. I think universities would be baffled by the fact that you'd already done a 16-18 age curriculum, and a degree, and had then gone back to do a different age 16-18 curriculum and were now seeking to do another degree. You would have to declare all your previous academic history on your UCAS form.

Also, lots of universities have policies against candidates who have retaken some of their A-levels to get better grades. I'm not sure whether they'd treat taking A-levels when you've already got the French baccalaureat as equivalent to resits.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (687)
33.88%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (863)
42.55%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (387)
19.08%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.49%

Watched Threads