This discussion is closed.
medstudent2019
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, so I go to MedSchool after getting A*A*A at A level which I enjoyed but now being at med school the jump is so big I feel like im swimming. I feel like I cannot have any time to chill between my part time job and studying. I just am not enjoying it. I enjoy the placements etc. but the workload is massive and I feel like I am going to fail the exams. I just don't feel ready for this. I don't know what to do. If anyone has any advice please feel free to share
leahnj
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
if youre not enjoying medical school but still want to be a doctor and do medicine, then continue. think of perhaps quitting your job and getting academic support from your uni. is it worth giving up an entire career over having to study for a few years? what would you do instead?
medstudent2019
Rep:
?
What di you mean academic support? I have no clue what I would do or what I want to do :/ I feel so young to be deciding
(Original post by leahnj)
if youre not enjoying medical school but still want to be a doctor and do medicine, then continue. think of perhaps quitting your job and getting academic support from your uni. is it worth giving up an entire career over having to study for a few years? what would you do instead?
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
the line in bold makes me think this is a troll post. who does a part time job whilst studying medicine?
(Original post by medstudent2019)
Hi, so I go to MedSchool after getting A*A*A at A level which I enjoyed but now being at med school the jump is so big I feel like im swimming. I feel like I cannot have any time to chill between my part time job and studying. I just am not enjoying it. I enjoy the placements etc. but the workload is massive and I feel like I am going to fail the exams. I just don't feel ready for this. I don't know what to do. If anyone has any advice please feel free to share
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
the line in bold makes me think this is a troll post. who does a part time job whilst studying medicine?
Lots of people - medical students need money too you know.

In fact due to increased travel expenses and equipment needs medicine courses are significantly more expensive than normal courses.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Lots of people - medical students need money too you know.

In fact due to increased travel expenses and equipment needs medicine courses are significantly more expensive than normal courses.
you get a student loan, and can get loans from your uni to cover anything extra.
medstudent2019
Rep:
?
Maybe don't just assume, I am vocalising I am struggling and am looking for advice. I need money to run my car so I can get from placement to placement. Money so I can live, you know some people do not get a lot of money in their student loan.
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
aimeejade9
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, so I go to MedSchool after getting A*A*A at A level which I enjoyed but now being at med school the jump is so big I feel like im swimming. I feel lioke I cannot have any time to chill between my part time job and studying. I just am not enjoying it. I enjoy the placements etc. but the workload is massive and I feel like I am going to fail the exams. I just don't feel ready for this. I don't know what to do. If anyone has any advice please feel free to share
Only you know what to do in this situation but please look at the long run. I'm not in the same boat but similar, i'm debating vet school as it's so many years and ill be 29 when i finish but the other half of me feels so much regret if i dont complete it and get my dream job. You've done all the hard work getting into uni, don't stop there. Imaging in a decade when you're leading a team of junior doctors on their journey! But i totally understand your feelings.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A lot of medical students feel this way. Remember that medical school selection is a tough process, the best students are selected and sudden they find themselves no longer top of the class. Previously a lot of students were also "cruising" to As / A*s, and they now find it harder in med school because university learning is very much different to school.

As suggested, go and speak to Student Support (there is usually a separate one for med students in my experience) and ask for their advice.

If you are struggling, see if you can quit work or reduce the intensities for a few weeks / months. There are definitely lots of med students who work during uni so I don't know why working + med school isn't compatible as another poster suggested.

Finally this thread is in the Current Medical Students and Doctors forum, please remember on-topic and help the OP. I don't see how asking about their stats and for their help in achieving 3 A*s will help the poster. Perhaps send them a private / visitor message instead.
lyra1987
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I feel your pain. I am self funding my fees as a grad so I am working loads as well as trying to study. So far I have been managing, but not without my health suffering. I have gained a lot of weight from stress eating and poor diet, money is always a worry, I am on antidepressants and burn out twice a year.
The difference is I am still enjoying medicine and can’t see myself ever doing anything else.
As you came in straight from school and are doubting if you made the right choice, would it be possible to take a year out after finishing this year? Have a rest and maybe try working on something else. You may find yourself itching to get back to Medicine. You said it yourself, you are young. You have time to make up your mind.
Alzir
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's really tough if you don't have much money, but if you're under that much pressure you really should consider cutting back the hours of work. Get through this year and consider where you are, maybe even take a year out to work and save the money up so you don't have to work for your next academic year. Check with the student support first though and see what alternative funding options there might be available to you. You may also want to consider a loan, with deferred payments that may help you until you graduate.

At the end of the day though it boils down to how much you want to do medicine. Just be aware that if you drop out, for whatever reason, it becomes very difficult to get back in, if you change your mind later. If you've any doubt at all regarding it, don't be afraid of discussing a year out with the med school, it can really help if they'll let you do it.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (94)
28.23%
No - I have already returned home (44)
13.21%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
18.62%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (33)
9.91%
No - I live at home during term anyway (100)
30.03%

Watched Threads